Ways to reduce sodium and still satisfy?

kms1104
kms1104 Posts: 110 Member
Hey all!

I've been pretty good staying within my other macros, but I'm always high on sodium. I naturally retain water, and know this could be a culprit as to why.

HOWEVER, I love salty foods. For example: a lean lunch meat sandwich on whole wheat with spinach, and a side of all natural chips and a fruit isn't all that bad for me, but piles on sodium.

Do any of you have small changes that have worked in reducing sodium and water retention that I might try? Gradual diet changes work best for me and have gotten me eating much healthier.

Thanks so much!

Replies

• rachface1234
    rachface1234 Posts: 227 Member
    Hey friend, I struggle too as im a salt FIEND! But my numbers are ALWAYS better when I cook for myself. You can control things so much easier that way! Use chicken or veggie STOCK instead of BROTH, use UNSALTED butter, cook with a little wine and extra spicy seasoning to spice it up without the salt flavor! A little vinegar or lemon/lime will help with flavor without salt. Also, I know lunch meat is easy and convenient, but its mostly FILLED with sodium. What about baking some chicken breast on a sunday, slicing up for sandwiches, and add a smear of avocado for flavor/fiber/healthy fats w/o sodium? Eating out will KILL your sodium intakes :(. Hope that's helpful, we should start a sodium addiction group, its amazing how much I can pack in esp on weekends!
  • suv_hater
    suv_hater Posts: 374 Member
    Try dulse.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Get some balsamic vinegar and play around with it. Tastes salty but is 0 sodium and 0 cal.

When I cook vegetables I add some to the water I cook/steam with. Yum
  • coffeehousebrat
    coffeehousebrat Posts: 5 Member
    Penzey's has a ton of sodium-free spice mixes - they really help keep home-cooked food flavorful without adding sodium. If you are a fan of deli meat, some grocery stores carry no salt added turkey breast, etc. - you might give that a shot! :happy:

Here's a link to the spice store: http://www.penzeys.com/
  • Gizziemoto
    Gizziemoto Posts: 430 Member
    Look up the DASH diet. It lowers blood pressure but also shows you foods you can eat low in sodium. I am extremely sensitive to sodium and try to keep mine around 2000 but am usually closer to 2300.

The do make lower sodium lunch meats and I look for low sodium bread. Recently switched to wraps. Not much lower but only 50 calories, 10 carbs, 160 sodium.

Raw or frozen without added salt for fruits and veggies, they make a no salt added ketchup. Grill up some chicken breasts and use those for lunches.

Just some ideas.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Potassium salt. Word of warning: if you've got any form of medical goodies, you might want to run this stuff past your doctor. Also it's known to speed things up if you start adding it too fast or have too much of it if you get my drift.
  • dizy17
    dizy17 Posts: 236 Member

When I cook vegetables I add some to the water I cook/steam with. Yum

thats a good idea!!!
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Look for foods that are seasoned with sea salt instead of regular salt. Tortilla chips tend to be pretty low in sodium. Increase your potassium intake to help offset the sodium. I've noticed that when I did that it helped me tremendously with water retention. Lunch meat is terrible in regards tosodium. Try making your own lunch meats, use tuna instead etc.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Look for foods that are seasoned with sea salt instead of regular salt. Tortilla chips tend to be pretty low in sodium. Increase your potassium intake to help offset the sodium. I've noticed that when I did that it helped me tremendously with water retention. Lunch meat is terrible in regards tosodium. Try making your own lunch meats, use tuna instead etc.

Could you tell me the differences between sea salt and regular salt

To the OP: Get yourself some MSG, only need a little to make things taste better
  • splashblob
    splashblob Posts: 249 Member
    I am having the same problem too. I live in Asia, even the fresh non process food here is choke fulled of sodium. (-__-) Lately, I tried to eat more potassium rich food to balance it out such as cantaloup, soy bean, young coconut juice/meat and lots of veggies but then I have problem with too much carb, not enough protein instead. ('~')