Never Feeling Full?

Options
linsey0689
linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
edited May 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I am sure I am not the only one that feels this way. I'm in my mid-20s have never been small but really got "big" during high school I would say. I can't remember the last time I felt full. No one matter how much I eat I honestly never feel full. It's like the people that can't eat sugar in the morning, that's definitely not me. I can eat whatever whenever without it bothering me and without me even feeling full.

My question does others that deal with this, have any advice? And does that ever feeling of fullness come back? (I may have had at one time but I can't remember). Or just any support would be great.

Thanks!!

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I think you need to find a new way to feel satisfied.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/969910
  • spdaphne
    spdaphne Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    That's interesting, what are you typically eating?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Lots of us don't have obvious and sharp hunger and satiety signals. You may be able to learn to pick them up better, google "the hunger scale". But it's not that important. You don't have to feel full, you just have to eat enough, quality as well as quantity. If you're overweight, you're getting enough quantity. So maybe the quality of your food is subpar. What are you eating?

Do not, I repeat do NOT, attempt the suggested "meal" mentioned above.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I'm always hungry too. Strangely enough the more I exercise my mind kicks in and says stop you just worked your tail off to burn all this.

I also snack on low cal foods all day so I don't overeat at any one meal. Plus water water water.

Stay busy. I'm a stay at home mom and I feel the busier I am the less chances I have to sit and eat. My house is spotless and I spend a lot of time with friends and am on a lot of committees etc. I limit tv and never eat in front of the tv.
  • kazminchu
    kazminchu Posts: 250 Member
    Options

Potentially dumb but genuine question - is the meal suggested above actually bad or dangerous in any way? Apart from being quite a lot of food? I thought people ate whole heads of cauliflower relatively often? I feel like I could feasibly eat that amount.
  • armchairherpetologist
    armchairherpetologist Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about you OP, but I find that there's a couple of different levels for me. There's "no longer hungry" and then there's "full", and I try to go for "no longer hungry" because "full" is usually way too much food to be reasonable for me, but "no longer hungry" is a portion size that is in line with my goals.

If you are used to eating until you're stuffed full, it can take a while to get used to finishing a meal before you feel that.
  • armchairherpetologist
    armchairherpetologist Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    kazminchu wrote: »

Potentially dumb but genuine question - is the meal suggested above actually bad or dangerous in any way? Apart from being quite a lot of food? I thought people ate whole heads of cauliflower relatively often? I feel like I could feasibly eat that amount.

It's a lot of food and if you're not used to that much fiber at one time you're going to get massive, massive bloat that will make you wish for death. All the cruciferous vegetable and beans on that list are like asking to inflate your intestines with gas like a balloon.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    kazminchu wrote: »

It would be no issue for me because I routinely eat that much fiber per meal and I have on several occasions eaten a full large head of cauliflower plus some other vegetables. For someone who isn't used to this kind of thing, it may cause gastric upset and even intestinal blockage for some people.
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    How much water do you drink?? Sometimes we confuse hunger with thirst.

• cedar2526
    cedar2526 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    This is true for me. I have Thryroid issues. Sometimes the prescription is correct and I have a good month.
  • Becca_250
    Becca_250 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I get a bit like this, though I can feel full, I always feel like I could "squeeze" something else in and have to mentally tell myself it's not needed.
    I think it can be about learning the difference between wanting to feel so stuffed you could burst and feeling satisfied that your body has had enough food to last a good few hours.
    Among others, here are two things that have helped me.
    The first is eating better foods. On a 300 calorie blueberry pastry or muffin I'd be hungry again within the hour. On 300 calories of greek yoghurt/oats/berries I can usually last 3ish hours. On 300 calories of eggs/avocado I could definitely last until my next meal. I'm not saying those exact foods would keep everyone full for that long, these are just my experiences of my own body and how it digests certain types of foods. For me, the type of hungers pangs I get are much stronger after a high carb or sugary meal, the hunger when I eat good fats/protein seems much easier to deal with. It's a bit of a vicious cycle because you eat the high calorie junk food only to feel like you could eat it all again! Another tip is to eat salad or extra veggies to bulk out your meals. Have spaghetti with half pasta half courgette noodles or have an extra side of cucumber or celery. Do I still set aside calories for "junk" foods? Absolutely! But I also know that eating 500+ calories worth of cookies isn't going to make me full, if I eat them it's purely for the satisfaction of the taste rather than the satiety. Instead I could have a hard boiled egg and then eat 2 or 3 cookies, that way I still get the taste satisfaction without feeling starving.
    The second is water. I can be quite bad for forgetting to drink water especially at work and I can guarantee my first "hunger" pangs are because I've not had enough that day. I also seem to be overall more hungry and more tempted to snack in between meals if I've not drank enough. This also might sound weird but by the very nature of drinking more I need to use the bathroom more and sometimes just the break from my desk can take my mind off what my next meal will be!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    linsey0689 wrote: »
    I am sure I am not the only one that feels this way. I'm in my mid-20s have never been small but really got "big" during high school I would say. I can't remember the last time I felt full. No one matter how much I eat I honestly never feel full. It's like the people that can't eat sugar in the morning, that's definitely not me. I can eat whatever whenever without it bothering me and without me even feeling full.

My question does others that deal with this, have any advice? And does that ever feeling of fullness come back? (I may have had at one time but I can't remember). Or just any support would be great.

Thanks!!

I don't really rely on my body cues like fullness to tell me when I have eaten enough. I can eat much more than I need to.
    I look at the calorie numbers and tell myself I have had enough food. I think that has helped me much more.
    I feel more satisfied when I get enough protein and fats.
  • lilysillycat
    lilysillycat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    just watched this on youtube the other day: Insatiable Hunger (Medical Documentary)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03DFb72zZ8w&t=25s