Ideal Weight but Still Look Fat, and Not Skinny Fat

Options
shphippen
shphippen Posts: 5 Member
edited May 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
So I am a 23 year old 5'4" female and I weigh about 122 pounds. My ideal weight is supposed to be somewhere around 123. However, my stomach is not flat when I look in the mirror like a movie star or many other girls my age, the ones who everyone finds most attractive. I don't want to starve myself, but I don't want to look fat in my clothes. I've already spoken with my doctor about this and been tested to see if I am skinny fat, which I am not. I am not sure what the problem is or what else I can do to achieve a thinner frame, and get rid of the small pouch on my belly.

I also eat 7-8 servings of fruit and veggies a day (4 servings of fruit max, the rest veggie), though not everyday but most days.

For cardio, I've started spending about 150 minutes a week on an elliptical or similar contraption. I've also recently started attempting to lift weight for 20 minutes 3 times a week, but I frequently get bored and would like to find another method of achieving the same type of training and benefits for my body that I would get from weight lifting.

Replies

• shphippen
    Options
    I also eat 7-8 servings of fruit and veggies a day (4 servings of fruit max, the rest veggie), though not everyday but most days.
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I can read. Totally editing what I suggested in my previous comment. I still stand by holy crap that's a lot of cardio though. It's not unusual to have a bit of a pooch though.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    150 hours a week on an elliptical? I'm no math genius, but by my calculations, there are only 168 hours in a week, so you spend 18 hours a week (2.5 hours a day) sleeping, eating, peeing, etc. I really hope you had your math wrong.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    lolz
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Surely the OP's statement of 150 hours of cardio a week is a typo -- that's more than 20 hours a day.

OP, is that supposed to be 150 minutes a week, or 15 hours a week (which still would be overkill unless you're training for a marathon or something).

edited to fix typo
  • shphippen
    Options
    Whoopes yeah 150 minute sorry about that, had a lot of stuff to write down and think about. The problem is I get bored with weight training and was wondering if there is anything else I could do that would provide the same benefits but be more engaging.

Also, my doctor did serveral blood test at my request and determined I would not be skinny fat based on the results.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    shphippen wrote: »
    Whoopes yeah 150 minute sorry about that, had a lot of stuff to write down and think about. The problem is I get bored with weight training and was wondering if there is anything else I could do that would provide the same benefits but be more engaging.

Also, my doctor did serveral blood test at my request and determined I would not be skinny fat based on the results.

How is weight training boring? When I'm performing a 225 lb squat I can't be bored. I don't know.

You have to create some kind of stimulus with resistance. What do you do?
  • shphippen
    Options
    Weight training is boring because I stand in the same place and just look at myself in the mirror and either have to count how many reps I am doing or follow a timer. It's not like running where I can be outside, Orr even an elliptical where I can watch TV - I have to think too much about the intervals in lifting and focus on counting or making a timer, which takes all the fun out of exercise. I typically do various types of curls, skull crushers, overhead extensions, deadlifts, that sort of thing.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I may be wrong here but I'm pretty sure strength training is the only way to get the results you're wanting.

If you hate weight lifting try something like Insanity or a kick boxing class.
  • ashleyk_xox
    ashleyk_xox Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    What is skinny fat?
  • beanz744
    beanz744 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    1. theres no one ideal weight for diff people with the same age n height n gender coz everybody ideal weight is diff. just take a look at my pic n u will know that i m not even fat but BMI has me at borderline obese :# because BMI asumes i have to be within a certain weight range for my height to be healthy.
    2. not everyone can have a perfectly flat stomach without trying (even though u r not fat in any way) so maybe u need some exercising n use MFP to lose a few pounds. do a utube search on daneille belanger or anella sagra or spartan bodybuiding for some motivational videos.
  • LeelaaC
    LeelaaC Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Pilates! Check out Blogilates on youtube. Pilates is especially great for core strength which will help with your abs and you can do it at home. Its helped with shrinking my stomach a ton.
  • shphippen
    Options
    bbell1985 please tell me why what I described is not weight lifting. I would generally like to know what I am doing wrong and how I can make the experience more enjoyable.