Logging meat drippings as cooking fat?

Options
Hamsibian
Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
edited May 2017 in Success Stories
I save beef fat to cook with eggs and other dishes. Meat drippings is actually in the USDA database, so do I log when I use it?

Replies

• Hamsibian
    Options
    Sorry, this is in the wrong forum! I can't figure out how to move it.
  • Hamsibian
    Options
    Yes of course. You log everything with calories and fat has 9 calories per gram

Thank you. I have been logging it, but I just wanted to make sure.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Isn't it already logged when you log the meat itself in the first place or do you put in some kind of negative adjustment?
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    I have separate jars of beef meat drippings and pork rendered fat in the refrigerator I use for cooking.

I learned how to prepare and store them from my mother and my grandmother. After cooking ground beef or bacon, strain the drippings into a clean pan and heat on low heat until all the water is evaporated, let cool a bit, then strain again into the appropriate glass jar with tight-fitting lid and store in the fridge.

When I need to use some for cooking eggs or sauteing vegetables, I just heat a pastry brush in the pan and then swirl the brush in the jar and then coat the pan with a few grams of drippings.

I log them as "Meat drippings (lard, beef tallow, mutton tallow)" or "Pork, bacon, rendered fat, cooked".

ls8mzfod97h4.jpg

• Hamsibian
    Options
    Isn't it already logged when you log the meat itself in the first place or do you put in some kind of negative adjustment?

I weigh the meat raw, cook the meat and drain the fat in a jar. I then weigh the cooked meat with the rest of whatever recipe I'm using - but the final weigh in is without the fat.

@CyberTone, thanks for those tips. I would have never thought to cook the water through. I love cooking with the fat; it makes a huge difference with certain foods.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!