junk food junkie but never over my calories, can I still lose weight eating crap?

Options
I am 5'9 currently 239 lbs from 259 in Feb. I burn a lot of calories in a day between 3000 -4500 (I use Garmin HR). Before I factor in calories burned MFP allots me 1940 calories for the day. I usually eat 1,500 - 1,900 but I don't make the best food choices because I know I have room for crappy fast food.
Breakfast is coffee and protein powder smoothie with banana, frozen fruit, non sweetened coconut milk about 300 calories depending on the weight of the banana and what other fruit I put in it. Lunch is a B up protein bar and an apple. Another 300 or so calories. I then typically proceed to eat a subway foot long or chicken nuggets and a cheeseburger or something equally as crappy because I have the calories available (and I'm freaking starving from work). The issue is my weight loss has stalled and I'm sure its because I got off track eating well but I am still in caloric deficit every single day. I never eat all my exercise calories back. Today as of right now I have burned 4365 calories and MFP told me I had 3,780 calories to eat (I ate 1900).

Is it possible to be in caloric deficit and not lose weight because of the kind of food you are eating?

Replies

• SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    lumenosis wrote: »
    Is it possible to be in caloric deficit and not lose weight because of the kind of food you are eating?

In the short term, yes. Water retention can mask fat loss. How long have you seen no change on the scale?

It sounds like you're running pretty big deficits though. So, if you've been stalled for a long time, I'd suggest making sure you're logging accurately. It can be very difficult to get accurate numbers for things like how much mayo someone at Subway puts on your sub.
  • lumenosis
    lumenosis Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have been stalled for about a week, not too long. I agree about the difficulty with accurate numbers, I like to leave at least 100 cal a day for discrepancies like a bit extra mayo.