Weight gain with a virus

Options
So I weigh 59.5 kg normally, however I've had a virus this week and I'm now at 61.4kg. I'm so upset it myself as I try hard to maintain my weight and I've not been eating any more, if anything I've been eating less. How can a virus make you gain weight?!

Replies

• Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Maybe not as active from being sick and eating a little more? Water retention can easily do that to me in no time
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Worry more about getting better. The weight loss can wait for a little while. Once better, I bet a lot drops off quick.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    There is a lot of inflammation with many viruses, or any immune response. I'm with Tacklewasher, focus on eating well and recovery.

Drink lots of fluids. I hope you feel better soon.
  • crazyycatladyy1
    crazyycatladyy1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I have shingles right now and I'm up 4lbs. I also haven't been eating a lot, (pain and prescriptions are causing a lot of nausea), and know the temporary gain is from inflammation. After it passes the extra weight will drop plus I'll probably lose a bit more, due to not eating a lot of calories for the past few days, (I've had it since last Wednesday and I'm still in the middle of it).

Don't worry about the jump on the scale-it's temporary.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Likely: Your immune system is fighting the virus which causes some inflammation. Inflammation includes water retention and may cause your weight to go up. Give it a few days after you're fully recover, and it should return to normal.
  • armchairherpetologist
    armchairherpetologist Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You are probably retaining water due to your illness. Two kg is not even outside the bounds of a normal maintenance range.
  • mandy2469
    mandy2469 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If you are taking any type of medication this makes you retain water. Paracetamol, ibuprofen and antibiotics make me retain water.