U.S. Gas Prices...Protesting in Near Future?

Options
13»

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Probably when it's as high as the UK.

How high is it there?

I believe it's close to $8 a gallon there.

Around £1.37 per litre.

so about $9.45 per gallon or about $7.98 per American gallon.

What the...what?! I'd have to walk to work, or buy a little half-car. :frown:
    Well, most people here in London drive cars with small engines for that reason - most people on a low income are probably packing 1.0L to 1.6L under the hood.

My car has a 1.2L engine, and it used to cost me about £50 a week to get to work. I was only earning about £250 a week, but if I took the bus (which I couldn't, because they weren't running early enough for my shift) it would've taken me about 90 minutes versus 10-15 in the car.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    You want prices to go down? Then stop buying gas. I boycotted buying gas over a year ago. Between my husband and I we were spending $600/month in fuel alone. We sold the gas guzzler truck, kept the economy car. I bought a bicycle, and it takes no gas at all.

We spent $22 in gas so far this month. When you bike everywhere you need to go, gas is just not necessary. Neither is a gym membership. :bigsmile:
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Protesting is supposed to accomplish what, exactly? Hmm?
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Wow! I was thinking when it hits $5 here. $8...that is way too high.
    US gas prices are among the lowest in the world. Americans protesting this fact would be. . . odd.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    We're at just over $1.60 a litre at the moment here in Australia. You guys have it good
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options

How high is it there?

Around £1.37 per litre.

You make these sound like such terrible options.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options

How high is it there?

Around £1.37 per litre.

You make these sound like such terrible options.

If I wasn't 27 miles away, I wouldn't mind walking! :smile: I thought about getting a small car, but I just paid my Jeep off and it's been too reliable for me to risk a new car payment for something that might not be as reliable. Until now, I've had horrible luck with cars.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I make the best of the situation..... Not that everyone can... I bought a teeny tiny car that gets 40mpg with $20 of premium lasting me a week and a half or more and my commute to work is under 10 minutes. No complaints here!

I can sympathize with those with longer commutes (a lot of my coworkers/friends) but you just gotta do what you gotta do! Plus with a crappy transportation system we have no choice.
  • labeachgirl
    labeachgirl Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    It actually has more to do with oil/gas speculation than supply, but no one wants to reign in Wall Street, so good luck with that...
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    almost EVERYONE in this country is too ignorant and too happy to change things. Our poorest have more perks that rich in other nations. As long as we can have people be the victim instead of taking responsibilities then nothing will change.

I know, I rarely protest when I'm feeling too happy.
  • TheRunningGuppy
    TheRunningGuppy Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    All I can say is, I'm glad I work from home! Unfortunately, hubby doesn't, he's got a 45 minute one way commute. And, if desperate, I could ride my bike to town for groceries. Would take about an hour to get there though.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Gas is so cheap in the US.....

I know right? It's funny to hear all these complaints, and I'm underemployed.
  • tigerblood78
    tigerblood78 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Even if people did protest, the prices wouldn't change.

Wrong. If people quit buying it....the prices would have to come down.

But....my car runs on e85. currently $2.69/gallon. I'm good with that.
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    In other news the price of a carton of egg whites have jumped from $2.50 ish to like $4+ over the past few Weeks.... :grumble:
  • Shelley6591
    Shelley6591 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    We're pushing $5 in Canada and it's affected the price of everything!:(
  • bernied262
    bernied262 Posts: 882 Member
    Options

How high is it there?

Around £1.37 per litre.

Oh lord the terrible thing about the US is we arent set up like Europe where we can live without a car. Good luck living in Phoenix or LA.

Have you ever tried public transport in the UK? Agreed, on mainland Europe it is pretty good, in the UK, not so much. A few yrs ago, I worked at a place that was 18 miles away from my house. If i used public transport, I would have had to make 5 train changes and the overall journey time would have been 2.5 hrs one way!!! Sure, things are getting better, but I would never really on the public transport system,

Yeah it's not easy when a typical commute time is 30-45minutes. So how are you managing to keep petrol in your car? What does it cost you a month to get to work?

It costs me £0 to get to work as i now work from home :) I only use my car for going to the gym and running about at the weekend. I fill up once a month, and last time it cost me £85, which is about $130

That's wonderful! And I didnt read where you said a few years ago, LOL! Out of curiosity though for those who have to commute in the UK or europe and dont have access to public transportation. How do they do it? How do they afford to keep gas in their car so they can work?

People have to prioritise. If you need a car for work, gas is a priority. Thankfully, we are a double income household, and we have never had credit (i have never even had a credit card), but i know some families that are really struggling, basically living of thier credit card month to month. High Gas prices have a knock on effect i.e. food is more expensive as it cost more to get it to the shops etc making it really hard for some families. It is not a good situation :(
  • carbons2k
    carbons2k Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I dont think anyone will protest. We rely on cars too much to not need the gas. I bought myself a hybrid car so I dont need to fill up as much... but I still need to fill up. Come $9 a gallon I think people will drive less... but not give it up. Its too bad we have a president that would rather get in the middle of the personal lives of 1 family than the lives of everyone else in the country.
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    s8n7N.gif