Raising fats and reducing carbs?

Options
Spitspot81
Spitspot81 Posts: 208 Member
So I am at a low point in my fitness journey. I am at target weight but suffering badly from bloating. I have been following iifym and have loved the flexibility, but think I have set my carbs too high and enjoyed too much bread and pasta.

Does anyone else follow a lower carb dietfor the same reasons? I love bread and pasta so will really miss my daily dose...but feel I need to limit these to a treat rather than a daily occurrence

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Do you know it's carbs that are causing your bloating, or is it a test to see if it will help? For my mom, it was more certain dairy foods that were causing it (probably developed lactose intolerance). For me, carbonation is what kills me in the bloating department (also developed - used to have tons of soda, now not so much). I ask because it sounds like you're already in "this is my life now" phase, but do you know for sure that it will solve the issue?

Have you also increased fiber significantly recently? It takes some time to get used to an increase in fiber, and bloating is definitely a symptom of that.

If it is carbs...I don't intentionally follow low carb, but find it easier to stay satisfied in a diet higher in protein and fat. Usually I just try to meet a higher fat and protein goal rather than intentionally try to lower carbs, and it works out in the end. You just plain don't have room for more carbohydrates because you have to fit in more fat or protein.
  • Spitspot81
    Spitspot81 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply...interesting!
    Nope, I don't know for sure that it is carbs causing the issue, but I remember back to a few years ago when I was low carb (no bread or pasta) and I don't seem to remember having the same issue. I guess I am going to trial it for a while and see how I feel.

No fibre has stayed the same steadily for a while, so don't think fibre intake is playing any role in my issues here.

I enjoy higher fat foods..avocado,nuts, olives etc so think I may adjust and see how it goes, and follow a more high protien/fat lifestyle like you do.