Plateau ..................

Options
I'm sure a lot has been said about this topic.
I started my journey in March this year even though I've been a MFP member for almost 2 years. So far I've lost 13 lbs and am stuck between 129 and 130. I would like to get down to 115 lbs - 120 lbs and am finding a hard time breaking the 129 lbs mark. Any suggestions?
I'm a 53 years old woman, workout 6 days a week around 70 minutes each day. I do cardio ( treadmill and rowing ) and strength training at a local gym . Have a trainer for 30 minutes three times a week. We started with strength training and now he has me doing HITT . My MFP calorie is set at 1300 cal per days. Don't know what else to do.
z3j83a4hxmud.jpg

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    You use a food scale?

iap5ax703hwu.jpg
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    How long has it been since you've lost weight?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    Ya know - you look fantastic.

You have a trainer and you're at a good weight and size. I have to ask - where do you think you need to lose weight? I don't think you have ten pounds to lose - you are a a solid, well toned woman.

Well done.
  • Schila64
    Schila64 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I started March this year, so it's been 2 months

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    STarting in March so 2-2.5 months ago and having lost 13 means you've been at a standstill for how long? You may need to adjust your expectations. You are not going to lose every week.

Google water weight & its common causes. If you've increased the intensity or type of your workouts, water weight for muscle repair. If you've eat more carbs or sodium than normal, water weight. If you're stressed or not getting enough sleep, water weight. If you're experiencing hormone fluctuations for TOM or menopause, water weight. THe good news is that water weight is temporary and always fluctuating. You want fat loss, I presume. If you stay at hte same weight for 6-8 weeks, then you may have an issue. Which is most likely an issue of inaccurate logging and so it would not hurt to make sure now you are being as accurate as possible. Food scale for A-N-Y bit of solid food, or at least as much as you can control. Enter your own recipes, account for cooking oils, condiments, beverages, etc.
  • Schila64
    Options
    You use a food scale?
    Yes , I use a food scale.

• Schila64
    Options
    STarting in March so 2-2.5 months ago and having lost 13 means you've been at a standstill for how long? You may need to adjust your expectations. You are not going to lose every week.

Google water weight & its common causes. If you've increased the intensity or type of your workouts, water weight for muscle repair. If you've eat more carbs or sodium than normal, water weight. If you're stressed or not getting enough sleep, water weight. If you're experiencing hormone fluctuations for TOM or menopause, water weight. THe good news is that water weight is temporary and always fluctuating. You want fat loss, I presume. If you stay at hte same weight for 6-8 weeks, then you may have an issue. Which is most likely an issue of inaccurate logging and so it would not hurt to make sure now you are being as accurate as possible. Food scale for A-N-Y bit of solid food, or at least as much as you can control. Enter your own recipes, account for cooking oils, condiments, beverages, etc.

Thanks !!!!!
  • janejellyroll
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Schila64 wrote: »

I misunderstood -- I thought you had said you lost 13 pounds so far?

Anyway, if you have been consistently eating 1,300 calories a day since March and you aren't losing, I would take a closer look at your logging accuracy. It looks like you are weighing some solid foods and not others.

I will second the statement that you look great -- it looks like you are close to an ideal weight. To lose more weight at this point is probably going to require very consistent and accurate logging.
  • Schila64
    Options
    Ya know - you look fantastic.

You have a trainer and you're at a good weight and size. I have to ask - where do you think you need to lose weight? I don't think you have ten pounds to lose - you are a a solid, well toned woman.

Well done.

Thanks. As a matter of fact I have lean out well. Just need to lose some lbs here and there...
  • Schila64
    Options

Anyway, if you have been consistently eating 1,300 calories a day since March and you aren't losing, I would take a closer look at your logging accuracy. It looks like you are weighing some solid foods and not others.

I will second the statement that you look great -- it looks like you are close to an ideal weight. To lose more weight at this point is probably going to require very consistent and accurate logging.

Yes, I said I 've lost 13 lbs since I started March 13 , this year.
  • soccerjerseyguy
    soccerjerseyguy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My experience is that any benefits (strength, muscle building, toning) you get weight training are wiped if you do cardio the same day. It works much better if you don't do both on the same day, just split them up a day apart. I suspect that doing both the same day "confuses" the body, and it doesn't know whether to get thinner or build muscle, so it does neither!

At least try it and see if you bust through the plateau.

BTW you look fantastic
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Yes, I said I 've lost 13 lbs since I started March 13 , this year.

How long has it been since you've lost weight? That is, when did you last see the scale go down?
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? You look lean and fit. I don't know why you'd want to be leaner unless you're training for a show
  • Schila64
    Options
    My experience is that any benefits (strength, muscle building, toning) you get weight training are wiped if you do cardio the same day. It works much better if you don't do both on the same day, just split them up a day apart. I suspect that doing both the same day "confuses" the body, and it doesn't know whether to get thinner or build muscle, so it does neither!

At least try it and see if you bust through the plateau.

BTW you look fantastic
    Thanks !!!!
    I'm the type of person that NEEDS to see calorie burn on my Heart Rate Monitor, so when I do only the Strength Training , the burn is not that high. That is why I add the cardio part.

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    You're avoiding the question. How long has it been since the scale has moved?? You say since March but you also say you lost 13 lbs since then. It can't be both.
  • Schila64
    Options
    How tall are you? You look lean and fit. I don't know why you'd want to be leaner unless you're training for a show
    I'm 5'4"... no show here LOL
  • Schila64
    Options
    You're avoiding the question. How long has it been since the scale has moved?? You say since March but you also say you lost 13 lbs since then. It can't be both.
    Sorry, I've lost 1 - 2 lbs per week since March 13. I would say scale has not moved since end of April. Just fluctuate between +1 and -1 lbs.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    given that you have achieved a certain level of leanness, maybe you need to re-assess your goals. Instead of trying to lose two our three more pounds, which is really just daily fluctuations; maybe you should consider running a recomp or a few bulk/cut cycles...
  • Schila64
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    given that you have achieved a certain level of leanness, maybe you need to re-assess your goals. Instead of trying to lose two our three more pounds, which is really just daily fluctuations; maybe you should consider running a recomp or a few bulk/cut cycles...
    What is : running a recomp or a few bulk/cut cycles?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Based on the photo you posted in the abs thread, with your level of leanness I would definitely agree with this. If your abs are that defined and you are still not happy with your bodyfat, it sounds like you need to build more muscle base either by recomping (eating at maintenance) or bulking (eating at surplus) all while continuing to lift weights.