HELP!!

Options
I am a constant yo yo dieter. I have been dieting ever since I was in the fourth grade. I start a diet full force and then a few days later I am back to my old habits. You would think a diagnosis of pre-diabetic would get me motivated and stay motivated. I just don't know what to do anymore. I am plan burnt out from dieting. I go to bed thinking tomorrow will be the day I kick this nasty habit of overeating. Breakfast goes good and then at lunch it is all downhill from there. I am so frustrated that I feel I am destined to be this way for the rest of my life. I know it is all up to me and my motivation but I know there is someone out there that has overcome this same obstacle and could give me some advice that would just set me on the road to healthy eating and stop this having to start over again and again. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    I think many have over come. sometimes and no shame to you, some help from a dietitian can help you stay on track and keep you accountable.

Sometimes it could be a simple as surrounding you with the right foods when you are worried about snacking times and so forth.

For some when you are really desperate and struggling, Online helpers as good as they can be, just don't fulfill your needs. Seek help maybe through your doctor if possible.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    The problem is simply your looking at it as "dieting"; or something to do for a specific period of time then all goes back to normal. This is a recipe for failure.
    I knew the changes I had to do needed to be permanent so I focused on baby steps and making small sustainable changes. The biggest change was logging everything I eat and seeing how many calories I really consumed, it motivated me to make the small changes that added up to a 50lb loss in 1 year.
  • tpalit2001
    tpalit2001 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I was the same. I started out controlling my carbs, but letting myself eat as much of veggies and grilled lean meat as I wanted. No junk food or sweets no matter what. It was easier to start doing that, rather than trying a fixed diet. After a week I noticed that my calorie intake had dropped naturally. And what was very motivating was that this diet gave me much more energy and stamina and I felt really good about myself.

I'm still fine-tuning my diet. But maybe you could try doing something like that. Just replace some calorie-heavy food in your diet with vegetables and lean meat. It's almost impossible to overeat vegetables! :tongue:

Oh, and eat lots of fibre. That keeps you feeling full for a long time.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Have you tried making small changes over time, rather than big drastic changes? Focus on adding things, rather than what you're giving up. In fact, don't give up anything. For example, increase activity (week 1), increase your veggie intake (week 2), increase how often you cook at home (week 3), etc. Whatever order works for you, and whatever mini goals work for you. You might find that as you focus in positive changes, the other stuff naturally falls away.