New to Running

Options
I've recently taken up running and an overage run about 2.5miles per night, with a ParkRun on a Saturday. 6 days ago it took me 26mins and 18 seconds and then today it has taken me 23mins and 4 seconds, which I know is progress. But I still can't run without stopping about 400m or so, is it literally a case of keeping going everyday and eventually it'll get easier or is there any tips? Thanks!

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    ^^^ Yes, slower. And not every day. ^^^

It takes time to get faster. Lots of time. You don't just try to run faster each time. That will lead to injury.

Look at a structured plan to help you to not over train. I know you say you are at 2.5 miles, but you also say you can't run more than 400 meters. So I'd still suggest using the Couch to 5K app/plan. It will guide you to the next step.

And slow down! If you can't sing while you are running you are going too fast.

Good luck.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Run slower so you don't have to stop as often. This may be the hardest thing for new runners to understand. You get to run faster by running slower in training. Run at a pace no faster than one you can maintain while having a conversation. (Or being able to sing "Happy Birthday"). Steadily, and slowly, increase the distance you are running. Increase by 10% each week. After a while that "slow" pace will get faster and that increased distance will seem shorter. All the while not injuring yourself, not feeling any great pain and being able to cover the distance without walking.

As for Saturday's Park Run, start slowly and increase, as you can, near the end. Most of all, Enjoy the Run.
  • ktfranke
    ktfranke Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I only run 3-4 days a week, even when training for a marathon! So take it easy, and don't worry too much about exploding any personal records right away...
    you'll have to continue to build up your aerobic fitness & endurance, which just takes time & consistency. I would do 3 different types of runs to build strength/endurance & stamina:
    1) devote one run a week to sprints and speed drills. Maybe practice the 200-400 meter dash along with some high knees and butt kicking drills.
    2) have one run a week that's just fun and easy. I prefer to do intervals of a slow pace to a faster pace.
    And 3) have one long run a week where you gradually extend the distance. Working your way up from 2 miles to 3 and eventually 5-6 etc.
    Get lots of sleep, drink lots of water, and have fun :)
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Slow down. New runners always try to run way too fast.

Don't run everyday. You're going to set yourself up for an injury. Run every other day or every two days.

Start doing some basic strength training if you're not doing some already. Most running injuries are from doing too much too soon and strength imbalances (weak glutes and hips). The myrtl routine is a basic set of exercises and stretches that focuses on the hips and glutes: runnerspace.com/video.php?video_id=8190
    runnersworld.com/training-video/the-myrtl-routine
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,683 Member
    Options
    Stop timing your runs. Save that for the occasional race. The rest of the time, run slow and easy. Think jog, not sprint. Trying to run fast as a beginner will get you injured and make it so you can't run far. Slowing down will build your endurance, which is key to being able to run well.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    First step, increase your cardiovascular capacity. Your upper limit right now is 400m.

Second step, get stronger. Just like weight training, you get stronger from progressive training. Your rest days are just as important as your run days.

Third step, allow your tendons to catch up. You do this by doing proper warm up and stretches afterwards.

You have a natural ability. It will come in time.
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    jbean1990 wrote: »
    I've recently taken up running

Good for you! Welcome to the world of running.

Another vote for C25K. A structured plan that ramps up your running slowly is a good thing.