Step calorie adjustment.

Leboo74
Leboo74 Posts: 30 Member
If my step calorie adjustments put my exercise calories at 164, does that mean that's the total amount of calories burned? I don't go back and add it in exercise with duration and estimate pace of walk do I? Isn't that repetitive?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Do you have a device "synced" to MFP? If yes, then 164 is an adjustment above your stated activity level. You would only add something to MFP that wasn't captured by your device (ie: like swimming).
  • Leboo74
    Seems an hour of brisk walking to the point of breaking a sweat and being slightly out of breath would burn more than 160 calories
  • Leboo74
    I'll admit I'm no speed demon, but I've been sedintary for 2 years and I'm walking as fast as I can without totally winding myself. It took me 55 minutes to walk 3.4 miles. Is this why so few calories are burned?
  • TeaBea
    Seems an hour of brisk walking to the point of breaking a sweat and being slightly out of breath would burn more than 160 calories

Could be if you are a larger person. Also Consider MFP already gave you BMR calories. BMR calories are the ones you would have gotten sitting in a chair for an hour. So to calculate the walking calories you have to subtract the BMR calories. This is one reason so many people over estimate calorie burns.

Calorie burns are estimates, some estimates are better than others. Trust the device (for a time). Then compare that against actual results. You will get a good feel for whether or not your device is high/low/or just right.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    I'm about 200 pounds. 200#*3.4 miles*0.3=204 calories burned in the walk. What is your weight? Plug that into the equation.
  • TeaBea
    I'll admit I'm no speed demon, but I've been sedintary for 2 years and I'm walking as fast as I can without totally winding myself. It took me 55 minutes to walk 3.4 miles. Is this why so few calories are burned?

3.7 MPH is a good clip - especially if you have short(ish) legs. I can get up to 4 MPH (5'5") but only on a treadmill.....zero terrain. You did good!
  • Leboo74
    I'm 187
  • Leboo74
    I just measured myself. No weight loss but I've lost 2 inches in the bust and 2 inches in the waist!
  • umbaba
    umbaba Posts: 8 Member
    I am having trouble figuring out how the step calorie adjustment works. My iPhone counts my steps, but the adjustment seems low (8000 steps were adjusted to 57 calories today). I found this table online and wonder what you all think about it’s accuracy.
    xtn6x4o623ep.jpeg