I *always* plateau around the same number.

Options
Verity1111
Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
edited May 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Less need of help, more curious if anyone else has this issue. I've heard scientific theories that our bodies have certain weights they get comfortable at and it becomes more difficult to lose weight. I believe this. Every single time I diet I get stuck around 175 for a few weeks before I lose again. This time it's 180. And no it's not CICO this time because I literally ate 400 calories one day and less than 1000 on a few days because I have a sore throat/flu of some sort and nausea and I still am stuck. TMI I can't use the bathroom well and thought maybe that's it, but I doubt it! I was losing 2.2lbs per week for a long time then all of a sudden stuck. lol. I have lost weight after each of my kids and I notice 175lbs is usually the "sweet spot" where I get stuck. 180lbs is close enough though, I guess! I just expected this a few weeks from now. :P Anyone else have this experience? And no, I guess I don't really change anything to get past it. I try, but nothing works and it eventually just stops and I drop a strange amount of weight - like 3-5lbs in a week instead of 2. I have felt bloated so wondered if some is excess water (I drink probably 14 glasses per day on a normal day though so I doubt it) and I did try a water pill in the past when I felt nauseous/bloated and stalled (yes I asked my Dr) and it helped, but I'm not sure this time. It just feels like a normal stalling of my weight to piss me off. Lol.

And before you ask for studies here's information from MIT:

https://medical.mit.edu/sites/default/files/set_point_theory.pdf

"The set point, it would appear, is very good at supervising fat storage, but it cannot tell the
difference between dieting and starvation. The dieter who begins a diet with a high set point
experiences constant hunger, presumably as part of her body’s attempt to restore the status quo.
Even dedicated dieters often find that they cannot lose as much weight as they would like. After
an initial, relatively quick loss, dieters often become stuck at a plateau and then lose weight at a
much slower rate, although they remain as hungry as ever."

Replies

• Verity1111
    edited May 2017
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    And no it's not CICO this time

Yeah, physics laws have this tendency to only work part of the time...
    Thank goodness gravity avoids doing that!

So you think I maintain under 1000 calories? Lol. Yes I use a food scale. And its a little hard to go over by 1000 calories the one day I ate 400. I even log what I GRAZE. If I eat one cracker or a chip I log one chip!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    So you are basically maintaining your weight. If you want to get lower you need to tighten up your logging. We don't have set weight points although there is a weight that each of us finds easier staying at, but we can get lower if we keep on being consistent at eating less than we burn. If you aren't near goal then it's back to being more diligent about food logging and increase or change exercise a bit.

Refocus would be my advice. I've been where you are and I know it feels like you are stuck at this weight but you don't have to be.

All the best.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    And no it's not CICO this time

Yeah, physics laws have this tendency to only work part of the time...
    Thank goodness gravity avoids doing that!

Read this. From MIT : https://medical.mit.edu/sites/default/files/set_point_theory.pdf
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    Ps don't be having days where you only eat 400 - 1000 calories unless you are doing IF. It's not healthy to eat that low.

• Verity1111
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Ps don't be having days where you only eat 400 - 1000 calories unless you are doing IF. It's not healthy to eat that low.

I just stated I was sick for a week and couldn't eat. I still am. My throat is hurting and I'm spitting up blood. Can't see a dr no insurance until the mid of June. I also had nausea/constipation that was making it hurt to eat. It's better now. I'm at 1,300-1,400 per day now (as of yesterday).
  • Verity1111
    edited May 2017
    Options
    So you are basically maintaining your weight. If you want to get lower you need to tighten up your logging. We don't have set weight points although there is a weight that each of us finds easier staying at, but we can get lower if we keep on being consistent at eating less than we burn. If you aren't near goal then it's back to being more diligent about food logging and increase or change exercise a bit.

Refocus would be my advice. I've been where you are and I know it feels like you are stuck at this weight but you don't have to be.

All the best.

I can't tighten up my logging. I didn't ask for advice - I asked if anyone else plateaued randomly. But yeah.. My logging is tight. I log EVERYTHING. Even diet soda which has 0 calories. The only thing I could do is log my water. And yes, I weigh my food. I have lost 45lbs no problem 2.2lbs a week like clockwork. I am going to keep being consistent lol Im sure it will stop eventually.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    I missed that reply, glad you are feeling better.
  • Verity1111
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I missed that reply, glad you are feeling better.

Thank you. :) Still sick but not nearly as bad! Im trying to be consistent. I have been here before. Usually if I keep eating what I am for a month or month and a half I start dropping and lose 3-5lbs at once. This has happened probably 3 times in the past. It's crazy but it's always around the 170s. lol It doesn't seem to matter if I'm exercising daily or not, or what type of food I eat.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    Well done on the 45lbs lost :smile:
    So how long has this plateau been happening for?
  • Verity1111
    edited May 2017
    Options
    "A few weeks" before you lose again is not a plateau, it's normal.

Especially when you've been losing at the unhealthy rate you have, it's clearly impossible for you to suddenly stop having a deficit of over 1000 per day and then stop cold losing.

I don't think 2lbs per week is unhealthy. My dr said it was fine since I'm considered obese (BMI over 30). A plateau is just a short period of no loss.... I didn't say it wouldn't eventually stop. I just find it odd that it's always around the same weight. I was netting 1500 calories per day but I'm aiming for 1400 because my throat is killing me.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    In other words you get a whoosh, that's normal for a lot of people. I used to only lose every 3rd week and would get a little whoosh then.
    Look at the overall trend, if month by month weight goes down then all is well.
  • Verity1111
    edited May 2017
    Options

Not long! Maybe 3 weeks? I'm going up and down in a normal daily range (like not losing day to day, just going up and down each day between the same numbers). Not staying up/gaining or losing really. The one week I ate at maintenance or near it and did not gain anything. Then I went back to 1500 (net) although I did add in the gym again so that was a change. I went maybe 4 times? and then I got sick and the last week I ate very low because of my throat and stomach. But I'm back to "normal" yesterday. Trying to make myself eat more. I can't stomach soup all day so I'm just taking pain killers and trying to deal with it.
  • Verity1111
    Options

Oh. And at the gym I got for about 1.5-2 hrs at a time. Usually I walk for exercise but I was feeling good and went back to LA fitness. I couldnt go again this week since Ive been ill so Ive been walking again as much as I can and using my FitBit to track steps (it works pretty well for me, doesnt track arm movements).
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I'm stuck too and have been for 6 months, smart at 150. I eat low for a few weeks and drop to 148, high for a few weeks, up to 152, but always settle back to 150. I think the answer is suffering, so I choose to stay put.
  • Verity1111
    edited May 2017
    Options
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    While you are unwell it's better not to push yourself to exercise - wait until you feel well recovered. Your body will thank you for that.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    I'm stuck too and have been for 6 months, smart at 150. I eat low for a few weeks and drop to 148, high for a few weeks, up to 152, but always settle back to 150. I think the answer is suffering, so I choose to stay put.

Man Im tired I took you serious for a sec. Um thats not the same. I didnt eat high and gain? I stayed the same each week. The exact same numbers they just fluctuated each DAY not each week. Like 180 in the morning 183 in the afternoon etc