Red Wine?

Within the last year I have started drinking a glass of Pinot Noir at night before bed and I've been finding it very hard to lose weight. Is alcohol the culprit? I would rarely drink in the past so I'm not sure if I'm over analyzing.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    Does the wine put you over your daily calories? If so, it is the problem. If not, it is not the problem.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,224 Member
    Surplus calories prevent weight loss, not any particular food or drink.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Are you logging it? And are you measuring your pour?
  • kellyflaca
    kellyflaca Posts: 7 Member
    I do log it and usually about 8oz pour..
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    edited May 2017
    One glass of wine is about 200 calories so one glass every night is 1400 extra calories ....
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    If you log it and account for the calories, it shouldn't be affecting your overall loss. There are some people who say that even modest amounts of alcohol affect their workout performance, which in turn can effect how many calories you have going out, but it's basically a logging accuracy issue.

At 1400 cals from wine a week, that's about 1.5ish pounds/ month that you could be losing if you didn't drink the wine and didn't replace it with another caloric beverage, but if your logging is already accurate that's just a bonus. Also, then you would have no wine, and that's just sad :(
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    I mean, if you're weighing it out and accounting for it I don't see having an occasional glass of wine. As a personal preference I may not do one every night, but to each their own (and I adore wine). It's a surplus of calories that is slowing you down, not a specific type of food or drink. Maybe experiment and cut back to only a few nights where you drink wine before you call it a day and see if that changes anything?
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    kellyflaca wrote: »
    Within the last year I have started drinking a glass of Pinot Noir at night before bed and I've been finding it very hard to lose weight. Is alcohol the culprit? I would rarely drink in the past so I'm not sure if I'm over analyzing.

It's not. But also it's a lot of calories. I love wine but have any when I'm trying to lose weight.
  • kellyflaca
    kellyflaca Posts: 7 Member
    Thanks all! Makes sense and looking at it as a whole week of calories is definitely enlightening.