Pros and cons of gloves for weight training?

Options

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    It's all a matter of personal preference.

I wear them because they make my grip feel more comfortable, improve my grip when my hands are sweaty w/o the need for chalk and provide a germ/funk barrier when using equipment in a public gym.

• CiaIgle
    CiaIgle Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    I wear these for wrist curl day.

il_570xN.995415187_kkwy.jpg

So you are the other one that use them not for cooking :smile:

This is the other one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZefR25GGKg
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    I wear these for wrist curl day.

il_570xN.995415187_kkwy.jpg

Don't they chafe?
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    I used to wear gloves when I did deadlifts 500lbs and above, my grip strength was always behind my max weight strengths and they helped. But now I don't deadlift very heavy, and I found a small piece of the gym paper towels suffices if I really need it, without the disadvantages of gloves. So my considerations are all about calloused hands vs carrying around gloves that I have to wash all the time, and less maintenance wins out.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Never worn gloves...I don't have calluses either...don't palm the bar.
  • gymzonian
    gymzonian Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Gloves is a no go for me. I never used it and maybe it's just me. I'm embarrassed to wear one.
  • nomorepuke
    nomorepuke Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I sweat so much during weight lifting. So gloves is a must for me.
    PS: who cares what other people think what the hell i'm doing with my hands.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    gymzonian wrote: »
    I'm embarrassed to wear one.

Nonsense!
    nomorepuke wrote: »
    . . . who [the F!] cares what other people think what the hell i'm doing with my hands.

LOL!

• ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Hard to pull hook with gloves. Just sayin.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    ROBOTFOOD wrote: »

I just started oly lifting. I never used hook for deads when I power lifted. It's pretty badass.
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis in my hands. I have to wear my braces when I lift and I wear gloves over them for traction. My braces don't show under the gloves and honestly I really don't care what anyone else thinks. It works for me.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    ROBOTFOOD wrote: »

I just started oly lifting. I never used hook for deads when I power lifted. It's pretty badass.

I was blessed with big hands too. So it's not that painful for me. Still pull mainly doh no hook to build my grip. Add straps above 405.

The thing that shreds my hands is my trap bar! And pullups. Brutal knurling.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    I don't wear gloves because I have small hands and the gloves mess with my grip.
  • Relax_Its_Just_Burpees
    Options
    Pros:
    Protect your hands from calluses and blisters.
    Better grip on the bar when your palms become sweaty
    May give you wrist support

Cons:
    You won't build grip strength
    They're a barrier between you and the bar and might mess with your form and technique
    They look silly

Honestly it's up to you.
    Personally I feel that rough calluses hands show your hard work and are a badge of honour that should be worn proudly.
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    I wear gloves.. you can see all the hard work I do just fine without needing to look at my hands, besides I don't care what people think. just sayin

^^^^this
  • Skyle33
    Skyle33 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    No,
    No gloves.
    Actually sure, you can wear gloves. Just be careful about not be able to use all your gains outside of the gym because your hands won't be strong enough to support real situations
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I use straps for the final set just because my forearms are weak and sore by that time. I still get sore whilst using straps but not crippling discomfort. Am thinking about using gloves though because sweaty hands are a nuisance and sometimes straps are just too fiddly to use.
  • LucasLean
    LucasLean Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I use too since my hands tore up easily when I started doing pull ups often. Now, after a couple years, they don't tear up. But it might be because my grip is better now. It also depends on the actual material.

Jagged metal bars at the park I occasionally go to tears up my hands. That would be the only time to use them for me. Otherwise, your hands will adjust overtime.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Skyle33 wrote: »
    No,
    No gloves.
    Actually sure, you can wear gloves. Just be careful about not be able to use all your gains outside of the gym because your hands won't be strong enough to support real situations

Lol no
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Not a fan of gloves - I need those callouses for rock climbing. About the only time I use gloves is to prevent rope burn.