make exercising fun!!

Options
Angall08
Angall08 Posts: 148 Member
What are ways to make exercising fun. Things that get you more pumped up to exercise. I understand exercising can't always be fun. It can be a real challenge but there has to be ways to make it fun!

Thoughts/suggestions????

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    running is fun for me...
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I walk because I like being outside and exploring, I run so I can see more of the trails running than walking, I dance because it's social and I can have a laugh whilst using energy.

I strength train so it makes my muscles feel tired and me feel satisfied that it's a good ache, and I train to make my muscles stronger for running and walking and ache less for dancing.

I swim to escape the world and enjoy pretending to be a fish.

Find an activity you enjoy and do it. Don't think of it as exercise.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I enjoy walking outside and hiking, so it's fun by itself. For various reasons, I have to do anything other than walking inside. For that I use audiobooks and TV shows. I designate the most interesting audiobooks as "exercise only" and have a rule I cannot listen to them unless I'm exercising. When you stop at an engaging part, you really can't wait for your next sessions. I really need to practice restraint not to exercise multiple times a day. For shows, I pick something lighthearted and well-paced and designate it as an "exercise only" show. A bit of humor, enough action to keep me engaged...etc. Time flies and I don't even notice it. Right now watching the latest season of "The Librarians", and previously it was "Doctor Who". Can't help much with strength exercises. You need to focus and count rips so distraction techniques don't work there. I personally just split them into multiple short sessions throughout the day.

Basically, you either pick something that is intrinsically fun for you, or you make it fun by connecting it with something that is fun for you and making it exercise-exclusive.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,089 Member
    Options
    I only do exercises I enjoy ... like, for example ... walking, cycling, climbing stairs, lifting weights, canoeing, snowshoeing, swimming, hiking, spinning classes, rowing at the gym, running on the treadmill ... :)

And I do the ones I want to do, when I want to do them. If I don't feel like doing something, I don't do it. If I do feel like doing something ... I do it! :)

Fortunately, I guess, I enjoy being active.
  • 1982Josie
    1982Josie Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I would definitely say after finding rugby 6 months ago that you have to find your 'thing'!

Rugby for me is not 'exercise' I absolutely love going. I have tried classes at the gym, weights, running in the past, which may be some peoples 'thing' but for me I was doing it purposefully to lose weight and it just got boring.

Try different exercises and sports, find one that you enjoy, maybe as part of a team or a club / group so that you are committed to going as if you don't go you will be letting other people down. I have a ready made team full of my best friends because of rugby!!
  • Ann262
    Ann262 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    It is certainly difficult to stay motivated to do exercise you dread. There is no magic bullet. Each of us enjoy different things. You just gotta find your thing.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I dunno I love being active and lifting. Find something you like.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I don't do exercises that I don't enjoy. This is why I don't go to the gym. I would much rather get out and see the world on my bicycle.
  • niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I get bored very very easily even with my most favorite forms of exercise... so I make sure I have as many options available to me as possible :p
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Good music that gets you pumped up and ready to move!
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I like going to classes at my gym- they change them weekly and the community support is nice to have. I enjoy going. I actually like most outdoor activities, but competition really gets me going. My gym likes to do challenges every month and that really motivates me. This month is finishing a TABATA challenge (X number of classes attended) and it keeps it interesting and fun.

TV shows or audiobooks are a great things to use- I love a good podcast too.

My husband and I use our weekly long walk to discuss life and check in with each other- while not always fun per se it helps stress levels for our daily lives.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Going fast through beautiful outdoor scenery, so cycling and skiing.
  • spdaphne
    spdaphne Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Music!!!! Especially if I'm doing a workout on my own. But most importantly, if I'm taking a class, I wanna enjoy the music so I don't have to focus how much my limbs are turning into noodles. But also liking the instructors makes it fun and them knowing my name helps make my motivation and being in the class more enjoyable.
  • sadinplaid
    sadinplaid Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I like trying new things! SUP board yoga, aerial yoga, kayaking, hiking, karate, zumba. Mixing it up keeps it interesting to me.