Metabolism question

Options
Is it true that your metabolism does not start to work until you eat something, I am an early morning exerciser, and do not eat beforehand, but always eat breakfast within an hour after, I was told that I am wasting my time as my effort will not count because I didn't eat a banana or something beforehand! I have been doing this for years, and now am questioning myself!! I need clarification please

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    No, your metabolism is always active. If it wasn't you would be dead. There's no difference on fat loss if you exercise while fasted vs fed.
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    No, it is not true. Everyone is different. I run before breakfast and I still lose weight.

Interesting read on common myths surrounding metabolism
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    That depends on what you mean by "start to work". If you are asking if you have to eat something to burn calories then the answer is no because you are burning fat and stored carbs. But in terms of when the whole process starts the answer is yes because you don't metabolize food that is sitting on your plate. You begin to metabolize it once you eat it, so the "start" is when you eat the food.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    If you're metabolism has stopped and needs starting, I'm afraid you're dead.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The fitness world would be a better place if no one ever again used the word "Metabolism".
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    The day your metabolism stops is the day you're farewelled from this world. People who only eat one meal a day, in the evening, still lose weight.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options