What food items do you buy online?

Options
I read an article about a woman who did meal prepping and it said that she saved money by buying all of her meats online in bulk. Have any of you done this before? If so, I'd love your recommendations! The only food item I currently get online is Trutein protein powder but I'm open to any ideas that save time and/or money :)

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I get those meal delivery kits from time to time. Changes up the routine.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I am gluten free, so I buy various types of flours that are hard to find. I also buy teas, protein powder and coffee on line. I have my Kuerig k-cups set up on a standing delivery schedule which saves money and my husband and I like the Ily brand espresso, which is much cheaper on Amazon than in the store.

Oh, and Penzey's spices, when I don't have time to make a trip to their store.
  • spdaphne
    spdaphne Posts: 262 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I just started a membership at Thrive Market https://thrivemarket.com last month. For items, the volume is more and cheaper than Amazon and other places even in person. I've mostly bought pantry items like yogi tea, coconut vinegar, gf soy sauce, olive oil, etc. But also got supplements like probiotics, daily vitamins, digestive enzymes. They also carry snacks that are vegan, raw, gf, etc. I like it because I pay like $60 for a year membership and they don't jack up the price for shipping for certain items. Free delivery is over $50 and the delivery is pretty quick too for me.
  • sadinplaid
    sadinplaid Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I started using Amazon subscriptions - love the convenience of having things we use regularly delivered to the front door.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I buy a few things online, mainly almond flour, coconut flour, xanthan gum, protein powders, coconut oil, vitamins. Much cheaper than local here in Canada.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I do a monthly meat order online
    From musclefood

All my supplements are ordered
    On line, usually when there's a good offer on
  • court_alacarte
    court_alacarte Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    shirataki noodles--you *can* find the linguine shape at some grocery stores, but you can find them in other shapes online (spaghetti and rice).
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I made my first online purchase of a food item recently. I wanted to find some particular vegan protein powder and I did find it on Amazon. I haven't decided if or not I will reorder.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Tea because I'm a tea snob. Also, I have a CSA, which delivers an assorted produce box every week from a local farm.
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Just my condiments. Mustard and nutritional yeast and balsamic vinegar
  • MiaisMIAinMiami
    MiaisMIAinMiami Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Dried green onions, powdered soy milk to keep in the office, argan oil, harisa, other hard to find spices mostly
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I've never gotten perishables online. I'll have to look into meat. Seems like it'd be more expensive or maybe you'd need an extra freezer?

I find that dried bulk foods are usually cheaper online, oatmeal, quinoa. I buy canned foods sometimes. Any obscure or specialty health/fitness food is priced crazy high at the grocery store, so coconut oil, alternative flours, etc.

I did one of those CSA farm box subscriptions for awhile, where you get fresh produce from farms delivered to your door. It was fun sometimes to try new veggies and eat really fresh produce. But once I got a ton of rhubarb. I don't know what to do with that. The last straw was when I got cauliflower that seemed more aphid that cauliflower. BLECH. Put me off the CSA thing... and also cauliflower for a while.
  • sarahbetherck
    sarahbetherck Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    https://www.califlourfoods.com/

My new obsession, lol :)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I buy these for hubby on Amazon. He usually addes some additional peas or beans:
    • Kitchens Of India Ready To Eat Rajma Masala, Red Kidney Bean Curry, 10-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 6)
    • Kitchens of India Mixed Vegetable Curry with Cottage Cheese
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    None, but I live very close to two great supermarkets and many specialty shops in the inner city.
    What I have done in the past is participate in a cow group. 6 people buying a calf having it reared and slaughtered at one year old and divide the meat. Calf was burned and reared organically. Scrumptious meat! Just way way too much of it, so we are not doing it again.