Processed Foods Hindering Weight Loss?

Options
124»

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for anyone else but I found processed foods caused my fat-loss to slow, stop and, at times, could even cause me to gain.

I avoid processed foods now & the fat is melting away. I also feel a lot better (energy, less aches & pains, etc). Oh, I don't get cravings for processed foods either and that makes fat loss pretty easy.

People who say this invariably have closed diaries.

If you think processed food causes you to gain weight with the same calorie intake and macro ratios, then prove it. Because it's impossible and doesn't even make sense.
  • milesvictors
    milesvictors Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Fruits and nuts are carbs and fats.

How is this in any way a good substitute for a protein bar?

A half-cup of almonds gives you 10g of protein, 6g of dietary fiber and lots of calcium, vitamin E and magnesium naturally. it's not processed and has almost zero sodium. Lots of fat, but that's great for your skin and hair. Fruit gives you needed Vitamin C or A.

Personally, I think protein bars taste like dry garbage, so anything is an improvement.

I notice you left out exactly how much fat relative to the protein.

Nuts are not a good way to get protein while running a calorie deficit unless your tdee is very high.

Agreed. Too many people think that nuts are a good protein source, but the reality is that they are a good FAT source that also happen to have some protein. Be careful with the nuts as they can really throw things out of whack macronutrient wise.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for anyone else but I found processed foods caused my fat-loss to slow, stop and, at times, could even cause me to gain.

I avoid processed foods now & the fat is melting away. I also feel a lot better (energy, less aches & pains, etc). Oh, I don't get cravings for processed foods either and that makes fat loss pretty easy.

If you think processed food causes you to gain weight with the same calorie intake and macro ratios, then prove it. Because it's impossible and doesn't even make sense.

I don't feel the need to prove anything. It is my personal experience & you can take it or leave it.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Google freezer cooking. There are a lot of good blogs that walk you through the prep and work required (usually one day) and how to get everything done and in the freezer. I've been known to make up batches of bean and cheese burritos, wrap them in either foil or plastic and then toss the whole lot into a big freezer bag. Then we can take out as many as we need for a meal. Or you can make soups, stews, chilis, etc. and freeze in single serving size containers. Most things freeze okay. I do avoid freezing rice or pasta because my rice always ends up mushy when I reheat it, but almost anything else works pretty well.
  • jonnythan
    Options

I don't feel the need to prove anything. It is my personal experience & you can take it or leave it.

Evidence is helpful when making such claims. A lot of people with open diaries provide mountains of evidence to the contrary.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    To the op, and note I haven't read any responses and refuse to because I already know what half say...calories, blah blah blah.

Dear op, the truth (yeah, yeah 'prove it' jackrabbits) the truth as I have experienced it is that processed foods absolutely impedes weight loss. I was eating a purely organic Michael Pollan flexetarian diet a few years ago, didn't count a single calorie, and couldn't keep the weight on. Didn't diet and lost weight like a snowman in a oven. The truth is it does matter. And blah to all you sceptics who think you know something cause you read it or did it the hard way with mfp, but have never really eaten a organic diet of real unprocessed food. Here you go: Eat food, not too much, mostly plants. (And mostly organic). You will lose weight that way. Kvetch at me all u want, I won't come back to this thread to read it. At least I spoke the truth to someone who really wanted to know.

And if u don't believe me, read Jillian Michaels. She'll tell you the same thing.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    To the op, and note I haven't read any responses and refuse to because I already know what half say...calories, blah blah blah.

Dear op, the truth (yeah, yeah 'prove it' jackrabbits) the truth as I have experienced it is that processed foods absolutely impedes weight loss. I was eating a purely organic Michael Pollan flexetarian diet a few years ago, didn't count a single calorie, and couldn't keep the weight on. Didn't diet and lost weight like a snowman in a oven. The truth is it does matter. And blah to all you sceptics who think you know something cause you read it or did it the hard way with mfp, but have never really eaten a organic diet of real unprocessed food. Here you go: Eat food, not too much, mostly plants. (And mostly organic). You will lose weight that way. Kvetch at me all u want, I won't come back to this thread to read it. At least I spoke the truth to someone who really wanted to know.

And if u don't believe me, read Jillian Michaels. She'll tell you the same thing.

And it's bull. I know obese people who eat that way. There's nothing magic about eating that way. If you eat too much you will be fat, no matter what you eat.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Oh well. Thread is over. Jillian Micheals has been invoked. No way we can refute that logic. The Bad Foodz is Scaaawy folks won this one.

Total. Checkmate.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

*gasp* Jillian Michaels?! MY ONLY WEAKNESS
  • dsalveson
    dsalveson Posts: 306 Member
    Options

You are an idiot. Just because you weren't counting calories or calling it a diet doesn't mean you weren't eating at a deficit. Maybe you should go back to eating your magic organic plants...it must be all the pesticides and toxins that are making you sound like you got your head up yo booty
  • willdob3
    Options

Evidence is helpful when making such claims. A lot of people with open diaries provide mountains of evidence to the contrary.

Research will help more than looking at what someone is eating. I don't have the processed food evidence in my MFP food diary. The processed food problems happened before I ever joined MFP.
  • willdob3
    Options
    Honestly, it really doesn't matter what anyone else says works. What matters is what works for you.

If you stop seeing results you need to change something. What works great for one person won't necessarily work for someone else.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Oh well. Thread is over. Jillian Micheals has been invoked. No way we can refute that logic. The Bad Foodz is Scaaawy folks won this one.

Total. Checkmate.
    :laugh: Yeah. Logical Jillian. Better listen to her. No processed food, but get your butt to Subway in your Ford and work out for six hours a day on 1200 calories of Jenny O turkey, Jello, Quaker Oats and Extra Sugar Free Gum. That's great advice for a sustainable lifestyle. I respect her as a trainer and find her shows motivational, but her diet advice sucks.
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Weight loss? Maybe. Fat loss? No.

You can't gain 50 pounds of water weight. Eat less processed food, lose some water weight, eat a bit of processed food, regain a bit of water weight.

If your sodium intake is roughly the same each day and your renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system is functioning properly your water weight fluctuations will be similar if you're getting 1,800 mg sodium per day or 5,000 mg (i.e. predictable if monitored long enough). Likewise with your blood glucose regulation system and carb intake.

Thursday I had 9 tbsp of peanut butter and 5 Snickers. Not enough processed food was hindering my weight loss (no energy to cook so skipping dinners, resulting in splurges twice last week). 9 months, 7 of which I have mostly eaten processed food, 90.8 lb lost, 96-106% of which from fat mass. I believe unless you have a medical issue eating processed foods while in a calorie deficit will not hinder weight loss, but when it comes to hormones and psychological responses, know your body and mind.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Research will help more than looking at what someone is eating. I don't have the processed food evidence in my MFP food diary. The processed food problems happened before I ever joined MFP.

How do you know then how many calories you were eating?