I look pretty fit but I'm overweight?

Options
Hi all, I have been thinking about losing the weight I gained in college for a while but now I am finally committing to it. I am currently 5'5 and 152 pounds. I wear between a size 5-8 pants and 32D bra. The issue is, I do not really have jiggly places, rolls or bulges. A little cellulite but who doesn't. I have abdominal definition and you can see my quad muscles popping out. I'm overweight, but I look pretty fit and I work out a lot. I'm not happy with myself, but I'm also not *unhappy*.

I know I would be much happier - and feel better about a healthier lifestyle - if I lost 20 pounds and was a bit smaller everywhere, but how can I motivate myself to keep going when there aren't any particular areas I need to target? I am pretty confident in my body as it is but I can't find the motivation to get healthier regardless of my body itself.

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    You couldn't target fat loss for an area anyway. Lift weights and grow your muscles. You mention nothing of your weightlifting routine so I'm going to suggest as gently as possible that the stuff you see popping out isn't your quads.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    So you are tying your happiness so a scale weight?
    If you like how you look, why do you think you'll be happier weighing less?
    If you workout a lot, try to reframe the context of happy into performing better and maybe dropping weight will help that?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You say you'd feel better... so that should be your motivation... no?
  • esless004
    esless004 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You couldn't target fat loss for an area anyway. Lift weights and grow your muscles. You mention nothing of your weightlifting routine so I'm going to suggest as gently as possible that the stuff you see popping out isn't your quads.

Lol I do work out 6 days a week. I do not lift all of those days but I do a combination of steady state cardio, HIIT circuits + lifting. Idk what my maxes are right now but I did leg press 300+ pounds the other day. I do have a body type that tends towards muscle gain (as much as a lot of males, oddly).
  • esless004
    Options
    esless004 wrote: »
    Hi all, I have been thinking about losing the weight I gained in college for a while but now I am finally committing to it. I am currently 5'5 and 152 pounds. I wear between a size 5-8 pants and 32D bra. The issue is, I do not really have jiggly places, rolls or bulges. A little cellulite but who doesn't. I have abdominal definition and you can see my quad muscles popping out. I'm overweight, but I look pretty fit and I work out a lot. I'm not happy with myself, but I'm also not *unhappy*.

I know I would be much happier - and feel better about a healthier lifestyle - if I lost 20 pounds and was a bit smaller everywhere, but how can I motivate myself to keep going when there aren't any particular areas I need to target? I am pretty confident in my body as it is but I can't find the motivation to get healthier regardless of my body itself.

If you think you're OK. Get Podded. Get the facts.

Don't assume that what you're seeing fully reflects reality.

It Might... it might not. Not enough information for an accurate assessment.

I've edited this 6 times, trying not to be pervy

D Cup can be up to 5-10 lbs. so take that into account.

You're right. I realize that it might be deceptive and I'm not as healthy as I think, and that's been the basis for me making an account and starting up here in the first place. I'll look into how much a pod assessment is. Thanks.
  • esless004
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    If you workout a lot, try to reframe the context of happy into performing better and maybe dropping weight will help that?

I guess I am just tired of people being like "wow! you weigh over 150!? dang" and showing up as overweight on the BMI scales. For a guy it's not as big of a deal but in the community I'm in makes me feel kind of gross. You're right about the performance thing - I'd like to get back into running but I know I am significantly slower than when I weighed 120. But at the same time, I'm a lot stronger since I didn't lift at all then, so maybe I should shoot for somewhere in the middle.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options

Lol I do work out 6 days a week. I do not lift all of those days but I do a combination of steady state cardio, HIIT circuits + lifting. Idk what my maxes are right now but I did leg press 300+ pounds the other day. I do have a body type that tends towards muscle gain (as much as a lot of males, oddly).

In that case, you're kicking butt and could easily kick mine. If you don't already use a progressive heavy lifting program, start doing that without neglecting the cardio and HIIT. I say that because lifting without a plan is lifting without making progress. You don't need and I don't suggest that you drive your body fat percentage below 20.
  • Joegettinghealthy
    Joegettinghealthy Posts: 6 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

I guess I am just tired of people being like "wow! you weigh over 150!? dang" and showing up as overweight on the BMI scales. For a guy it's not as big of a deal but in the community I'm in makes me feel kind of gross. You're right about the performance thing - I'd like to get back into running but I know I am significantly slower than when I weighed 120. But at the same time, I'm a lot stronger since I didn't lift at all then, so maybe I should shoot for somewhere in the middle.

Anecdotally I've noticed as society gets fatter and fatter people's perception of a "healthy weight" has changed significantly. Many don't have any idea what "overweight" looks like unless someone is morbidly obese (and even then they have a hard time distinguishing).

Sad but true. Everybody except for my doctor is surprised to learn that I am clinically obese. That is my body fat is 34%.

People are surprised. They think I look fit. I've told myself I hide it well. Your statement about people's misconceptions about a healthy weight is probably more accurate than me 'hiding it well'.

Thanks for sharing.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options

Don't let the number on the scale define you. I am 5'3" and once upon a time I weighed 120lbs and wore a size 8 pant. Today I am 146lbs and wear a size 4 pant. I have recently been told that I need to eat more food because I look too thin. I think I look fit and healthy!!! Don't listen to the negativity. What is most important is that you feel good and continue to live a healthy lifestyle!
  • esless004
    Options

In that case, you're kicking butt and could easily kick mine. If you don't already use a progressive heavy lifting program, start doing that without neglecting the cardio and HIIT. I say that because lifting without a plan is lifting without making progress. You don't need and I don't suggest that you drive your body fat percentage below 20.

That's a good idea. I lack discipline but I do need something to kick my butt into a specific program. Do you have any suggestions?
    According to my scale my BF% right now is around 24% but I don't know how accurate that is, hence why I didn't post it above.
  • esless004
    Options

why are you going around telling everyone your weight (you must be since you say people keep saying that to you)??

Yeah that does sound a little weird. It's not an entirely frequent thing but I was a rower through a good deal of college so we sort of had to discuss weight in terms of the boat's balance and how much we're pulling. Not a normal human topic of conversation.