Any hikers out there?

Options
I've always been fascinated by hiking, especially long distance hiking. Wondering if there are any hikers out there I can connect with to really develop this interest into a hobby.

Replies

• ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Yes i do, im lucky to live on the edge of the peak district in the uk
  • mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I enjoy it alot but haven't gone in years. My main friend I hiked with moved to Texas and my other friends are lazy as heck. If they are walking it's to get their bong and food lol.

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I like to hike. Granted most of mine aren't in the most mountainous of places, but PA has some great trails. I do enjoy training for long endurance hikes.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I like hiking and go at least once a week. There is a lot of great hiking in Phoenix and the surrounding areas. I haven't done any long distance hiking though. My longest so far is about 6 1/2 miles. I like to get out there, get some good exercise and time with nature, then go home and clean up and get on with my day.
  • ronocnikral
    ronocnikral Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    hekla90 wrote: »
    Live in Colorado- hiking is life here lol'

Ditto. I'm doing the arctic circle trail this summer and have liberty Ridge and ishinca Valley on the books for 2018! 2018 plans are tentative, but firming up nicely....
  • niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I don't know if I can count myself as a hiker (maybe just a baby in hiking department, lol) but I like hiking trips wayyyy more than beach trips ( not just the view but how much more workouts as well :p )! We used to live in WNY with great trails and State parks, and now in SC a bit away from the pretty Blueridge Parkway. Too bad that we're leaving the area soon... Those great views in NC will be greatly missed... :(
    (Btw we're going to Zion next week! So excited!!)
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    We try to go hiking on nice weekends and are lucky because we live near several hiking trails with lots of up and down hills. We usually do between 5 and 8 miles so it's not to long for the kids.
  • cheriej2042
    cheriej2042 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Love to hike it's my favorite activity! Have hiked in US and internationally. This year I'm hiking Bosnia Herzegovina, Northern England Hadrian Wall , Scotland Mt Everest Base Camp, and Mt Kinabalu on my way back. I've also done some crazy long distance events but I'm not really doing that anymore. Agree with starting with an outfit like REI take a short trip and see how you like it. Also figure out if you like backpacking or supported hikes. It's great to get outside and it's a great way to see the world.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I'm loving all these pictures! Hiking is my favorite way to get exercise (because to me it's not just exercise, it's FUN!) It's been a while due to a foot injury but I often hike through the ravine near my house (it's a short easy hike) or through Cleveland National Forest which is nearby (I live in Southern California). I try to go camping often too and always go hiking as part of the trip- Yosemite, Joshua Tree, Yellowstone, Zion, the Sequoias, the Redwoods, and in September I'm adding Siskiyou National Forest to the list (camping right off the Rogue River).

I'd recommend starting off with something fairly easy and working your way up. I also recommend spending the money on quality hiking clothing and shoes, if you can. REI is my favorite- it's on the expensive side but my hikes became exponentially more enjoyable when I learned (from classes there) what kind of clothing materials, and shoes, were best. Shoes are particularly important to avoid injuries.