Ok not to use the scale?

I started my weight loss journey on April 24th. But I still haven't stepped on a scale. I have found in the past that it messes with my mind. If I have not lost weight, I get depressed and discouraged and feel like slipping on my diet. If I have lost weight, I allow myself to ease up on my diet for awhile. Neither situation is good. So this time I not using the scale--yet. Did anyone else do something like this?

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Sounds radical. I like it!
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Very briefly. I started MFP right after a month of Jewish holidays. I'd gotten my weight at a checkup right before. I used that as my SW and didn't get on the scale till the middle of the first week.

If you don't want to use the scale, I know many people suggest taking your measurements instead. If you go that route, do it every month, not once a week.
  • BurlzGettingFit
    BurlzGettingFit Posts: 115 Member
    I did not. I weigh everyday and use an app to track my weight so daily fluctuations don't bother me at all.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Personal preference. Some people like tracking their progress, some get stressed by it. You can try other ways to gauge if you plan is working.
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    It's personal preference. If scales​ freak you oot and deter your overall journey maybe limit their use or don't at all. I'd be curious though and probably take measurements once a month to see if progress is happening there. It's all about making yourself feel the best you can though. A healthier you is going to happen if you stick to a goal. Numbers on scales don't always gauge your progress completely.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Sure! Use a measuring tape and take pictures.
  • KM0692
    KM0692 Posts: 178 Member
    I am going to start weighing myself every other week instead of every week to see more of a change.
  • spdaphne
    spdaphne Posts: 262 Member
    Yeah I'm gonna do my best not to weigh myself very much. I took my measurements back I think in Feb when I started working with my nutritionist but I haven't moved on the scale and my eating hasn't improved much. I started back logging in here which I feel will keep me more focused and on track.

I'll probably weigh myself in a month or 2 just to see my progress and take measurements. I try not to focus on the number as it can frustrate me.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Daily pics and measuring work. I buy a pair of jeans a size to small and try them on periodically.
  • findingmi
    findingmi Posts: 31 Member
    Thanks everyone. I was curious if anyone else had avoided the scale.
    This time around I am really doing everything I can. I am not holding back in ANY way. Therefore, it is not like I could DO more if I checked my weight on the scale and was not happy. I will just keep at it. I plan to take pictures along the way. I will also periodically try on some smaller clothes in my closet.
    Thank you all.
  • phumy_healthyhabits
    phumy_healthyhabits Posts: 19 Member
    findingmi wrote: »
    I started my weight loss journey on April 24th. But I still haven't stepped on a scale. I have found in the past that it messes with my mind. If I have not lost weight, I get depressed and discouraged and feel like slipping on my diet. If I have lost weight, I allow myself to ease up on my diet for awhile. Neither situation is good. So this time I not using the scale--yet. Did anyone else do something like this?

This is my daily struggle. I loose weight I ease up on the diet. I'm really trying to divorce my scale but it's so hard.
    What is different over the past four weeks for me has been that the scale has not moved at all and I'm still sticking to it. For me that's such a huge accomplishment.
    So basically Im in the same boat as you.
  • blackcars7411
    blackcars7411 Posts: 41 Member
    I use a scale once a month
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    If you use the scale a tool to measure your weight then it is fine. I prefer to judge my progress on the mirror/pictures.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    I used to weigh myself once a week during my active losing phase...now hardly at all...

I just don't care enough to get on the scale unless my pants start getting tight.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I went long periods of time without weighing myself in the past. It didn't really help me.
    I usually weigh just once a week. The longest I would probably go is once a month.

If you want to measure your progress with pounds lost then you should weigh yourself at regular intervals. Don't freak out over one reading ever. Look at the change over 3-4 readings not one. Learn how your weight fluctuates normally. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear/p1

If you don't want to use the scale to measure progress then choose something else. Clothing fit, body measurements, progress photos, exercise progress.
  • qpmomma1
    qpmomma1 Posts: 221 Member
    I know people who weigh themselves every month or so and they are doing great losing weight. I personally weigh myself every day out of habit. I think it's personal preference. If you are eating at a deficit you will lose weight no matter how often you look at the scale.