Nicotine Patches

Options
elgordote63
elgordote63 Posts: 16 Member
My doctor prescribed nicotine patches for me and I picked them up today at the pharmacy. Has anyone had any luck with these things?

Replies

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Yes. :) No cigs in 10 years.

I definitely jonsed at first. I figured I was probably addicted to way more than the nicotine...there are like a bazillion ingredients in cigs. If you can hang on knowing that, you can hang on for the step-downs, which will keep getting easier.
  • rdmitch
    rdmitch Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Yes, worked well for me. Been 6 months so far.
    Just be sure to take the patch off at night before bed or you will have
    crazy f..ed up dreams.
  • FairhavenDS
    FairhavenDS Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Chantix worked for me. Over three years now

Congrats man! That's seriously tough.
  • FairhavenDS
    FairhavenDS Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Chantix worked for me. Over three years now

Congrats man! That's seriously tough.

Thanks. The real secret is to quit drinking. That helped my smoking

I really need to do that. It's been harder than I thought.
  • LAWoman72
    Options
    My Mom, Dad, step Sister, my parents neighbours and one of my mothers co-workers all quit smoking with Dr Alan Carr's book called How to quit smoking. I thought it was ridiculous when they told me they were going to quit with a book. Yet they did. My Mom and Dad just hit 6 years and my step sister just over 4 now. It's worth checking out.

I didn't like the book, although I know many people have had great success with it.

It basically was just a lot of wording centered around this idea of "just do it" and "you won't be afraid of the harsh withdrawal feelings if you've decided for sure you're never going to smoke again." IMO. (I did read it thoroughly, though this was years ago.)

Different things work for people...congratulations to all of those people you listed. That's awesome.
  • browneyedgirl749
    browneyedgirl749 Posts: 4,984 Member
    Options
    I quit by not using anything. I started by not having that after meal cigarette, then stopped having my on my way to work cigarette, etc until I got to where I could get drunk without having that urge. I had to quit drinking for a while before that happened :lol:
  • luckyjen76
    luckyjen76 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    yes, the patches worked for me, I haven't had a smoke in 18 months
  • LittleLionHeart1
    LittleLionHeart1 Posts: 3,655 Member
    Options
    Yes.. .*kitten* yes.....
    I wore one everyday since the first of this month. This is my 24th day without smoking. The last 3 of which, I've worn zero patch! They work!! Do it! Breathe better!! It's worth it!
  • LittleLionHeart1
    LittleLionHeart1 Posts: 3,655 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    And also this helped. I said to myself, "I'm a smoker who chooses not to smoke right now."
    Instead of saying, "I quit."

After I have not smoked for 6 months, because I choose not to, maybe I can say those words... "I quit that *kitten* habit."
  • LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    My doctor prescribed nicotine patches for me and I picked them up today at the pharmacy. Has anyone had any luck with these things?

It's been years ago, but my boss quit a 3-pack a day habit on patches. This was before they were OTC and you could always tell when his doctor lowered the dose because he was a BEAR for like 3 days.

I personally had my last cigarette the week before Thanksgiving 2016. Admittedly, I'd also quit between February and September and then extreme stress over a family situation saw me pick them up again for two months. Cold Turkey...but I was never more than a 1/2 to 3/4 pack a day smoker really.

• Deadman_Diggingup
    Deadman_Diggingup Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    The patches worked well for me and I would recommend them, although they can really mess up your sleeping and dreams.
  • LAWoman72
    Options
    The chantix dreams were crazy. It was like living some of the threads here.

Chantix is an antidepressant, right? It works chemically on the brain?
  • LAWoman72
    Options
    I'm not a smoker, but I never understood people who mainly smoked only when they drank.

I don't know, because even though I used to smoke, I never drank at all. :)
  • christinecameron901
    christinecameron901 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi,I never tried the patches, but had success with the gum. :)