I'm too self conscious to attend the gym

Options
13»

Replies

• mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    And like said, when I did go to the gym, all 235 pounds of me no one cared at all. They did there thing and I did mine.
  • quastradamus
    quastradamus Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I was self conscious when I first started going to the gym. I started taking group fitness classes such as turbo kick and cardio step. I started meeting people and after a while those strange faces that made me anxious and self conscious became familiar. I would suggest that you go to the gym and face your fear and go beastmode!
    Meet new people and have fun!!
    PS 180+ at 5'9 is nothing to be self conscious about!!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    About a year and 8 months ago, when I walked back into the gym for the first time in a few years, I weighed 270 pounds and was insecure about my big gut, double chin and skinny, cheesy arms. I figured I had exactly two choices: I could wallow in my insecurity and be scared to do anything about it, or I could HTFU, get off my butt and change it.

At 5'9" and 185 lbs., you'd be far from the largest or most out of shape person in almost any gym you could walk into. Go take a tour of your local gym - you'll find that it's filled with normal, everyday people just like everywhere else you go in life. Gyms aren't the exclusive havens of ripped bodybuilders and fitness models. There are plenty of people there who are just as nervous and just as insecure about their bodies as you are (if not more so).
  • amywhoa
    amywhoa Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    If you're not ready for the gym now invest in some weights and do it at home and try to involve Cardio. HIIT is best u work out in a short period of time but u burn more fat throughout the day. Diet is a huge factor as well, not going on a diet but watch what u put in your body.

Listen to motivational speeches on YouTube to get u inspired and pumped. Look up basic excercises for shoulders, back , chest , bicep, triceps, legs. To help u build muscle. Focus on one large muscle a day. Shoulders day one, back and biceps day two chest and tris day 3 etc .

Invest in yourself. Take the time to research. Consistency and dedication is key! Remember why u started everytime u want to quit. Be the best version of you. You would be surprised what your body is capable of.

When u feel more confident and ready to hit the gym just go and have fun. No one knows u so it doesn't matter what u think they're saying. Headphones in, world out. Look up gym workouts and have a plan ready so u can be focused on what u have to be doing.

Wish u the best on your fitness journey !!!
  • skinnyfatty1983
    skinnyfatty1983 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    me too I am scared too.. People start pointing out my big belly and laugh at me for lifting weights.. the gym staff basically yelled at me for not putting the weights back when i never used the weight before because they see I am weak and nerdy .... but I came back for more and keep training irregardless.... people can keep talking and i will keep grinding
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    jack27496 wrote: »
    I'm an 18 year old guy and I'm desperate to lose weight. Lots of people have suggested going to the gym and I'm just too self conscious. I find it difficult to just walk past people without holding my breath and the fear that they can hear the fat kid panting. I'm 5 foot 9 and weigh around 185 pounds and desperate to be about 150. What types of exercises can I do at home which will help me lose weight. Does anyone else have a fear of going to the gym. The only exercise I ever tend to do is just walking and I barely have any muscle at all. I can honestly say if I did ten sit ups the next day my body would ache

Yes, I was very self conscious about going to the pool for the first time. I was almost 300 lb smooshing myself into a bathing suit to take a water aerobics class which I didn't think I could do because I was so out of shape. After about 10 minutes I realized that I got a bunch of "who's the new girl?" looks but otherwise nobody cared if I was there or not.

You have to decide which is more important to you: getting fit or staying as you are. It is scary but each of us has our demons we need to stare down and just do what needs to be done. Piece of cake after the first time.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Do it- seriously, the others don't matter. You are in this whole journey for yourself, your health, and your fitness goals. The other people there are focused on their own workout/goals. If you are nervous about equipment, ask a trainer to give you a tour/introduction. Or book a 1 time PT session. But keep pushing yourself and building your confidence up. You are in this for you.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    jack27496 wrote: »
    I'm an 18 year old guy and I'm desperate to lose weight. Lots of people have suggested going to the gym and I'm just too self conscious. I find it difficult to just walk past people without holding my breath and the fear that they can hear the fat kid panting. I'm 5 foot 9 and weigh around 185 pounds and desperate to be about 150. What types of exercises can I do at home which will help me lose weight. Does anyone else have a fear of going to the gym. The only exercise I ever tend to do is just walking and I barely have any muscle at all. I can honestly say if I did ten sit ups the next day my body would ache

Harsh but true, Get over it. Nobody cares, or those that do aren't worth the worry. Very FEW were born in, and stayed in, great shape. Everyone started somewhere in lesser condition than they are now. The sad truth is, the only person keeping you from your goals is you. To quote Nike, "Just Do It".
  • akoivisto
    akoivisto Posts: 141 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    As a 6' guy at 264lb, If I was to get to 185? I'd be a lean bad-*kitten*... my best friend was 330lb and lost until he hit 215lb and... I have no words if you are 185?

What JoRocka said.
    JoRocka wrote: »
    So either this is a troll or you have some deep seated issues that require counseling.
    You are absolutely not fat. and there is no way you fat kind pant- so either you are a troll, you have respiratory issues which means you need to see a doctor, or you have a very very unhealthy and skewed view of what you look like- which means you need counseling.

If you mistyped and meant 285lb? My advice, sooner you get in and work through the self-loathing (I did it) and start working out, the sooner you realize everyone there is just there to do that too, just work out.
  • jlscherme
    jlscherme Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    OP, you mentioned you were panting. Is there a breathing problem issue like asthma?
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    akoivisto wrote: »
    As a 6' guy at 264lb, If I was to get to 185? I'd be a lean bad-*kitten*...

Howling at lean bad-*kitten* :D
  • crushingitdaily12345
    crushingitdaily12345 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    The gym is a very supportive place. No need to be nervous at all.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I was 260lb+ at 5'1" with Aspergers when I first started going to a gym, I was literally bricking it before that first session and thought everyone would stare/laugh at me. But I hit it lucky and the gym I chose was brilliant, they were welcoming and in no way judgemental and this is a pretty much old school gym, not a big chain. As someone that was the "fat, middle aged" woman, I can say that no-one in my gym would be judging you in a bad way. There's a good mix of different types of clientelle in the gym I go to and I've found them all really supportative and almost like a cheering squad as I've lost weight and found a love of lifting. Thanks to my ASD I still find myself feeling self-conscious and insecure, but that's me not the other gym goers.