Mini-bulk? Help me decide...

Options
So I had it in my mind when I was 186lbs that "160 would be shredded".

I'm 161 now and I'm still pretty flabby. Inbody puts me at 20.8% body fat... with suggested 11 lbs of fat to lose.

So ... seems simple, right? Keep cutting 11 more lbs? ...ugh.

I have diet fatigue ... bad moral ... and seeing very slowed down losses.

I am considering doing a 4-week mini bulk... at 200-250 cal surplus.

What do the more experienced people think? If I do a really clean bulk will I be moving backwards too much? Ultimately I would like to gain muscle too, not just lose fat...

Any replies are appreciated... I'm really torn and looking for outside perspective.

5' 8" 161 lbs, eating ~1700 cal per day w/ 100g protein. Trying to stay low carb high fat.

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Have you been doing any strength training as you were losing weight? If so what program?

What is your reasoning behind LCHF?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    4 weeks off would likely be a good idea. But not bulking - stay at maintenance. Your BF is too high to have a good bulk. You'll almost definitely put on more fat than muscle at this point, which is not what you want.

And yeah - what rybo mentioned - are you strength training?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Why bulk? Why not just maintenance? You may find you enjoy recomp instead of a cut?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    So I had it in my mind when I was 186lbs that "160 would be shredded".

I'm 161 now and I'm still pretty flabby. Inbody puts me at 20.8% body fat... with suggested 11 lbs of fat to lose.

So ... seems simple, right? Keep cutting 11 more lbs? ...ugh.

I have diet fatigue ... bad moral ... and seeing very slowed down losses.

I am considering doing a 4-week mini bulk... at 200-250 cal surplus.

What do the more experienced people think? If I do a really clean bulk will I be moving backwards too much? Ultimately I would like to gain muscle too, not just lose fat...

Any replies are appreciated... I'm really torn and looking for outside perspective.

5' 8" 161 lbs, eating ~1700 cal per day w/ 100g protein. Trying to stay low carb high fat.

A four week mini bulk is just going to be spinning your wheels, because it usually takes two weeks for the increase in calories to show up and assuming a 1:1 ratio you would only gain, maybe, two pounds of muscle in a four week span, then when you cut, you are going to lose some of that muscle. Additionally, at 20% body fat you are not really primed to add appreciable muscle, so that 1:1 ratio will probably not hold true for you.

If you are tired of dieting maybe take a diet break for a month and eat at maintenance level and then after a month go to a small deficit of .5 pound per week loss, coupled with a progressive strength training routine until you get to sub 15% body fat, and then re-assess goals.

Are you currently following a structured lifting regimen?

any reason why you want to stick to LCHF?

• burntoutphilosopher
    burntoutphilosopher Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys so much for the thoughtful replies!

Okay ... I'll keep cutting to 15%. I may do a week of maintenance, just as a mental vacation... but I'll keep losing as a trend.

... I do lift "some" ... but basically I just dick around ... no structure. I know I need to change that.

As for LCHF ... I would consider something different but here are a few of my reasonings ... biggest thing is it's the first diet that's really worked for me (lost 25 lbs)... maybe because I feel fuller longer? Also, I have a very sensitive stomach, and I've found my digestion is very good and regular this way. Lastly...i *hope* a diet high in good fats will be good for my hormone levels ... keeping testosterone etc up naturally. Lastly ... the foods I LIKE are generally protein and fats.

I'm up for any nutrition alternatives you guys may suggest.

I don't have a clear end game here... I want to look healthy and muscular... dropping into the 140's seems a bit waify in my mind... but I guess I'll let the mirror be the judge. I definitely want to put on more muscle at some point.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    It's doubtful you'll ever look shredded without a decent lifting programme
  • burntoutphilosopher
    Options
    All my lifting right now has just been to preserve muscle mass whole cutting.

I'd planned to start a real program when I bulked
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys so much for the thoughtful replies!

Okay ... I'll keep cutting to 15%. I may do a week of maintenance, just as a mental vacation... but I'll keep losing as a trend.

... I do lift "some" ... but basically I just dick around ... no structure. I know I need to change that.

As for LCHF ... I would consider something different but here are a few of my reasonings ... biggest thing is it's the first diet that's really worked for me (lost 25 lbs)... maybe because I feel fuller longer? Also, I have a very sensitive stomach, and I've found my digestion is very good and regular this way. Lastly...i *hope* a diet high in good fats will be good for my hormone levels ... keeping testosterone etc up naturally. Lastly ... the foods I LIKE are generally protein and fats.

I'm up for any nutrition alternatives you guys may suggest.

I don't have a clear end game here... I want to look healthy and muscular... dropping into the 140's seems a bit waify in my mind... but I guess I'll let the mirror be the judge. I definitely want to put on more muscle at some point.

like @TavistockToad said, you really need to look into a structured lifting program. I would suggest strong lifts 5x5 or all pro beginner routine.

If LCHF works for you then that is fine, keep doing it. Sounds like it may be the best option for you based on your digestive issues.

when you get to sub 15% body fat you can either run a recomp or run a few bulk/cut cycles...at that point your body will be primed to see some gains in terms of muscle.
  • burntoutphilosopher
    Options
    I really appreciate all the advice...

... I'll get my lifting much more structured ... take a maintenance break... then cut cut cut into the 140's.