Can you lose weight amd mantain muscle?

Options
Chantelelee
Chantelelee Posts: 25 Member
edited May 2017 in Introduce Yourself
Hi all
Im new to here im 26 recdntly had my 4th child (13th janurary) and looking to get my body back! I am startibg yo feel unmotivated so though i would join and read all your storys

I have
4 children 6years,4years,19months and 4months 3 boys and finally my.girl .
Iv been dieting since i finsihed breastfeeding at the beggining of april i started at 10 stone 10 and im now 9 stone 13.
I walk a hell of alot (dont drive) and hardly stop as yiu can imagine with 4 under 6.
I manage to fit in arpund 45 mins of weight training mainly kettlebell and allot and leg bum work get a bit stuck of what to do with my arms?!
Erm im starting a gym with my friend begining of june so we can have a goodhour of undisturbed excersise and us time haha.
Im about to go on keto diet ov been on a vlcd 800 callories im going to keep around that but sort my macro nutrirnts .
I cant wait to get my body back i was a size 8 36-24-39 after my second so hoping to get back there.
I am currently
34-30-42

Replies

• Chantelelee
    Options
    It cut off the end off my message
  • Mickey1Ward
    Mickey1Ward Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It's hard to lose weight and maintain muscle. Believe it or not by my current pick I have actually gotten a six pack several times in my life and have regrettably let my life interfere and lose it. If you lose weight you will lose some muscle. The best you can do is try to keep the protein high and lower the carbs and still do strength training. The guys that look amazing with their shirt off usually do it by bulking up. Have a high carb/high protein diet and strength training. Gain weight and build muscle. Then lose weight to sculpt. They lose some muscle on the weight loss part but do their best to keep it. Rinse and repeat till you get the body you desire. Good luck!
  • Jordan_Demelo77
    Jordan_Demelo77 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    ^
  • Rufftimes
    Rufftimes Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I disagree, IF you are new to working out. You can definitely lose fat while maintaining and even building a bit of muscle. Look at the pics in my profile. I hadn't worked out seriously in about 20 years, and that change occurred over about 6 months. There was no bulking, just a steady loss of body fat and a steady increase in muscle mass. Having said that, it seems to have slowed a lot at this point and I'm finding myself asking if I should concentrate on losing the last ten, or working on building mass. I have 5 weeks left in the program I'm doing, then I'll re-evaluate and make a decision
  • Mickey1Ward
    Mickey1Ward Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Awesome success rufftimes. Their is absolutely a time to focus on just losing weight and you did a great job. Physically if we take in less calories then we burn our body then burns fat and muscle to get the energy it needs. It looks like you gain muscle because the fat around the muscle is being removed and you can see it. You should be very proud of your success rufftimes.
  • Chantelelee
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Thanks for the replys mickey thats exactly what im going to do up protein withba low carb shake and up the fat thinking of shoving some avacados incant stand them any other way . And lowering carbs to just vegetables ruff you look amazing hop im lucky i am hoping going into kestosis will help with fat over muscle loss and ny strengths increase been on a bit of a standstill thi k that was poor diet though to be fair
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    It's not hard to maintain muscle while losing. It's basically impossible to GAIN muscle while losing.

If you want to maintain muscle:

•Have a small deficit. 800 calories is more than your toddler needs everyday to live. You need more. Put your weight in mfp with very active and pick 1/2 to 1 pound a week lost. Eating only 800 calories even if you say I'm your butt all day will eat your muscles right up.

•eat protein. At least 30%/.8 grams per pound of body weight.

• lift weights. Find a good progressive overload program.

You don't say how tall you are but you may be at a healthy weight at 9 stone 13. Check out recomping.

It's important for boys to see but especially your little girl. Don't starve yourself or over exercise. Don't say bad things about your body.
  • Chantelelee
    Options
    Hi luna thanks for the reply im not intentuoalkt stsrving myself im only 5"1 i worked out my bmr as 1500 so thats where i come up with 800 or us thst just wrong should i be affing more for excersise or is bmr irrelavemt its so confusing i just thought because im. Snall but you just said a toddler and im defernitlu bigger than a toddler ha its so confusing
    I am classed as overweighgt but i dont feel i look it at sll i will post sone befores .

I will be happy to maintsin muscle while losing then bulling after kind of what mickey said just need to stsy motivated with small results. I have noticed my eldest saying hes got fat legs it schoked me didnt know theywere so observant so have stopped speaking about it as much latley there like little sponges
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    800 calories is not enough and you definitely wont build muscle eating so little. if your BMR is 1500 that is what your body needs just to function. you need to eat more.when you set your MFP up your deficit is already built in without exercise. you are doing your body no favors eating so little. you also had a child so you may or may not get back to those measurements as your body changes to prepare for childbirth so your measurements before may not be achievable now.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Rufftimes wrote: »
    I disagree, IF you are new to working out. You can definitely lose fat while maintaining and even building a bit of muscle. Look at the pics in my profile. I hadn't worked out seriously in about 20 years, and that change occurred over about 6 months. There was no bulking, just a steady loss of body fat and a steady increase in muscle mass. Having said that, it seems to have slowed a lot at this point and I'm finding myself asking if I should concentrate on losing the last ten, or working on building mass. I have 5 weeks left in the program I'm doing, then I'll re-evaluate and make a decision

if you are new to working out its possible, but not eating so little and below BMR.you are also male so its easier for men to build mass compared to women even in a bulk.you dont gain much muscle in a deficit(you may gain some but it will slack off) but if you have a lot of body fat it can help fuel your body to build more muscle.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Hi luna thanks for the reply im not intentuoalkt stsrving myself im only 5"1 i worked out my bmr as 1500 so thats where i come up with 800 or us thst just wrong should i be affing more for excersise or is bmr irrelavemt its so confusing i just thought because im. Snall but you just said a toddler and im defernitlu bigger than a toddler ha its so confusing
    I am classed as overweighgt but i dont feel i look it at sll i will post sone befores .

I will be happy to maintsin muscle while losing then bulling after kind of what mickey said just need to stsy motivated with small results. I have noticed my eldest saying hes got fat legs it schoked me didnt know theywere so observant so have stopped speaking about it as much latley there like little sponges

I think you are getting tdee and bnr confused. You want roughly a 500 calorie deficit from your tdee. Your bmr is a number you don't want to go below.
  • PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    prr2nc3e861g.jpg

Yes it's possible! I was 166 lbs. when I started my weight loss journey in 2014 at the age of 55 after leading a very sedentary lifestyle for over 30 years. My body fat was estimated to be well over 35%. The lowest weight I got down to was 113.2 lbs. and my body fat was approximately 17%. It took me 2 years, but I lost it slowly in order to maintain as muscle mass as possible. Unfortunately I followed some bad advice and was told to do a 1200 calorie diet! YIKES! I would never recommend that ever! I was lifting weights 3-5x/week and should have been on at least a 1600+ calorie diet.
  • brokentool76
    brokentool76 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi all
    Im new to here im 26 recdntly had my 4th child (13th janurary) and looking to get my body back! I am startibg yo feel unmotivated so though i would join and read all your storys

I have
    4 children 6years,4years,19months and 4months 3 boys and finally my.girl .
    Iv been dieting since i finsihed breastfeeding at the beggining of april i started at 10 stone 10 and im now 9 stone 13.
    I walk a hell of alot (dont drive) and hardly stop as yiu can imagine with 4 under 6.
    I manage to fit in arpund 45 mins of weight training mainly kettlebell and allot and leg bum work get a bit stuck of what to do with my arms?!
    Erm im starting a gym with my friend begining of june so we can have a goodhour of undisturbed excersise and us time haha.
    Im about to go on keto diet ov been on a vlcd 800 callories im going to keep around that but sort my macro nutrirnts .
    I cant wait to get my body back i was a size 8 36-24-39 after my second so hoping to get back there.
    I am currently
    34-30-42

• brokentool76
    brokentool76 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Look in the app store for your smart phone or tablet for Jim Stoppani's Shortcut to Shred and download it. Read every part of it and follow it. Jim Stoppani has some of the greatest plans for workouts, nutrition and supplements. He also is very responsive when advice is needed via his social media outlets like facebook or instagram. I have recently signed up for an account on his webpage jimstoppani.com and started following one of his programs and nutritional advice and it has been awesome and I am seeing great results.
  • Chantelelee
    Options
    Luna3386 wrote: »

I think you are getting tdee and bnr confused. You want roughly a 500 calorie deficit from your tdee. Your bmr is a number you don't want to go below.

Oh ha thanks for that no wonder my lifts have been suffering i will work put my tdee ans go from.there thank you :)
  • Rufftimes
    Rufftimes Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Rufftimes wrote: »

if you are new to working out its possible, but not eating so little and below BMR.you are also male so its easier for men to build mass compared to women even in a bulk.you dont gain much muscle in a deficit(you may gain some but it will slack off) but if you have a lot of body fat it can help fuel your body to build more muscle.

Yup, that's pretty much what I was saying. My measurements went up considerably in my arms, chest and legs, while going down in my waist and abdomen. I was also in deficit during all this and still am eating in deficit as my primary goal was to lose weight. Now I'm at the point where I'm maintaining muscle and still losing fat, but everything has slowed down considerably. I'm 6lbs from my goal weight I had set for myself, then I'm definitely going to have to reevaluate.
  • Chantelelee
    Options
    prr2nc3e861g.jpg

Yes it's possible! I was 166 lbs. when I started my weight loss journey in 2014 at the age of 55 after leading a very sedentary lifestyle for over 30 years. My body fat was estimated to be well over 35%. The lowest weight I got down to was 113.2 lbs. and my body fat was approximately 17%. It took me 2 years, but I lost it slowly in order to maintain as muscle mass as possible. Unfortunately I followed some bad advice and was told to do a 1200 calorie diet! YIKES! I would never recommend that ever! I was lifting weights 3-5x/week and should have been on at least a 1600+ calorie diet.

You look amazing years is good going did you do any cardio? I thibk what iv got to realsie slow and steady nothings going to happen overnight
    as luna said im defenitley eating to little i confused my bmr with tdee
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    prr2nc3e861g.jpg

Just got to say, great quads and hammies
  • PowerliftingMom
    Options
    prr2nc3e861g.jpg

You look amazing years is good going did you do any cardio? I thibk what iv got to realsie slow and steady nothings going to happen overnight
    as luna said im defenitley eating to little i confused my bmr with tdee

I did mostly cardio the first 6 months. I used the rowing machine, rowing approximately 45-50 minutes/day probably 5 times a week or so. After 6 months, I started lifting more regularly.
  • PowerliftingMom
    Options
    watts6151 wrote: »
    prr2nc3e861g.jpg

Just got to say, great quads and hammies

Thank you!