American food ?? Bleughhhh

Options
strawberrysnap
strawberrysnap Posts: 71 Member
Alright so idk where this post should go under so putting it here,
No health issues before my year abroad in America then one year later I develop intolerances and allergies whilst being in USA, mostly dairy but also the additives which are banned in the U.K., has this ever happened to anyone else ?? I'm not hating I'm just genuinely curious as I have to get some medical procedures done from the negatives effects of American food in my body now that I'm back in England

Like I said I'm not hating, everyone has a different digestion tolerance etc but my doctor acts like I'm the only person this has happened to

Replies

• strawberrysnap
    Options
    Lol why has this thread posted twice idk
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    It's all about making good choices. Every country has food that is bad for you and every country has food that is good for you.
  • strawberrysnap
    Options
    I get that completely but even a bowl of porridge or tomato soup would hurt my stomach, I was eating healthy but then I found out fruit is sprayed with pesticides ( I'm guessing depending on state ) and it just all went downhill, over spring break I returned home and my stomach was fine again then I went back to the states and was experiencing issues again which was annoying as I was obsessed with veggie straws haha
  • strawberrysnap
    Options
    I was just wondering if anyone else experienced the same
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,034 Member
    Options
    People have issues all the time eating foods that are prepared and processed differently in different countries. Extremely common. I've even met Americans who have gotten sick from food they've eaten in the EU (and also in the U.K. - forgot for a second about brilliant decision to leave EU). Crazy! Haven't heard about anyone requiring surgery for it, though. Get well soon.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Alright so idk where this post should go under so putting it here,
    No health issues before my year abroad in America then one year later I develop intolerances and allergies whilst being in USA, mostly dairy but also the additives which are banned in the U.K., has this ever happened to anyone else ?? I'm not hating I'm just genuinely curious as I have to get some medical procedures done from the negatives effects of American food in my body now that I'm back in England

Like I said I'm not hating, everyone has a different digestion tolerance etc but my doctor acts like I'm the only person this has happened to

Outside of some short lived adjustments to different bacteria, etc...I think your doctor is correct. My wife's family from the UK travels here to the U.S. every couple of years and haven't ever had any issues.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I get that completely but even a bowl of porridge or tomato soup would hurt my stomach, I was eating healthy but then I found out fruit is sprayed with pesticides ( I'm guessing depending on state ) and it just all went downhill, over spring break I returned home and my stomach was fine again then I went back to the states and was experiencing issues again which was annoying as I was obsessed with veggie straws haha

Did you go to Whole Foods and spend extra on the no-meth porridge?
  • strawberrysnap
    Options
    People have issues all the time eating foods that are prepared and processed differently in different countries. Extremely common. I've even met Americans who have gotten sick from food they've eaten in the EU (and also in the U.K. - forgot for a second about brilliant decision to leave EU). Crazy! Haven't heard about anyone requiring surgery for it, though. Get well soon.
    Thank you :)
  • JLAJ81
    JLAJ81 Posts: 2,477 Member
    Options
    I'm just allergic to Americans
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

1. Not all fruit in the US comes from the US.
    2. All fruit is sprayed, but all fruit is also washed (organic fruit is also sprayed and washed, then some brands do a dirt bath to make it appear straight out of the ground).
    3. It sounds partially psychosomatic.
    4. If you change your diet dramatically you'll feel like crap no matter what.
  • strawberrysnap
    Options
    Idk I guess the U.K. and USA produce food very differently then, and well after seeing the impact I wouldn't say psych issues influenced any of my question it was more just to see if people had similar experiences so that I could ask them for advice
  • strawberrysnap
    Options
    And I get that fruit is sometimes imported but I meant as a whole
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I honestly get sick whenever I travel.

I've even had issues with citrus and fatty foods, even at home.

If you think it's additives, buy organic or find someone local so you can know exactly what is on your food.
  • strawberrysnap
    Options
    Yeah I think it's the changes in diet! So annoying isn't it as organic tends to be more pricey but that's life
  • strawberrysnap
    Options
    Ohhh that had an emoji at the end of it but it didn't show up
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    "I feel nauseous and I have a headache. That soup I had must have had beef broth in it." Your system's kickin' back broth? You're a manly man, aren't you? - Ron White
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people with food intolerances, myself included, who can eat a much wider variety of foods in other countries. I know those who can't eat gluten or dairy in the U.S. without miserable health consequences, but can enjoy French bread and cheese in France, for example. I do blame it on things we use here that they don't in much of Europe, glyphosate, for instance. I blame a lot of things on Monsanto.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I don't think any one nation's food is inherently "bad", I think preparations can be totally different and our bodies can react. We've grown up not only with certain basic foods, with loads of modifications on basic themes, but with percentages of ingredients and so on. Altogether it seems like (and is) a varied diet but will very likely have a certain theme that our bodies are used to. Then whammo. Something that sounds/looks the same in the package but when you eat it, your body notices the difference and since, being in another location, you're not just having a few bites of this "different" type of food but you're having it night and day for days or weeks. Hells yeah you can have a bad reaction.

As for the pesticides in the fruit, you're aware that we import a good percentage of fruits, some veggies, some herbs, spices and so on? So...not "American" at all, for those. Meanwhile they're exported to other nations as well, most likely. Possibly even including yours.

I think it's just the shock and sudden about-face of different food preparations that's getting to you.

I do have lots of friends and acquaintances from other nations who now live in the U.S. and I haven't heard this particular complaint, certainly not long-term. My former roommate from Ireland did say she initially found American food "heavy". She noticed a change but evened out eventually and neither gained nor lost weight, so the food wasn't "heavier" at all calorie-wise, apparently, or at least we can say it must have more or less been a wash. I know when she went to "the Irish store" with imported foods of all kinds, including meats, I practically ralphed on her bangers and mash, they felt like a collective rock in my stomach even though they tasted absolutely fantastic, yum.