Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Protein spikes blood sugar as well.

Oh ,well I wanted something I could eat with white rice to slow down blood sugar spiking.

Why?

Because I need white rice but without its diabetic increasing effects sir

Are you diabetic (or pre-diabetic), or are you concerned that blood sugar spikes will make you diabetic?

Yes I am so what food to combine with white rice?

You could add in a bit of chia seeds to up the fiber content. They are fairly tasteless.
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    You should eat quinoa or brown rice instead of white rice.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I recently watched a Japanese show on BG spikes. They found that when rice was eaten last, following protein and non-starchy vegetable, BG did not rise as much as when rice was eaten first. Protein and the fibre in the vegetables will reduce the BG spike. BG will rise slower.

... Of course limiting or skipping the rice will have the greatest BG lowering effect. BG won't rise as much. Period.

Exercising after a meal of BG spiking foods will help lower BG too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MOaZJFsl00

The above video is not exactly low carb savvy, it is pretty basic, but the macros intake order is interesting.
    Protein spikes blood sugar as well.

Protein spikes insulin and not blood glucose. Unless you have eaten a LOT of protein, BG will not "spike"
  • aishlinggness
    aishlinggness Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you're going to eat white rice, drink green tea with your meal, or twice a day. Matcha is a good one also sencha. Green tea helps to keep your blood sugar normal.

Add fish or chicken with the rice, and some sort of vegetable. Green preferably. And stay with the serving suggestion. Its about 1 cup. But again.. green tea.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    So if I am reading this right, you are trying to prevent sugar spikes to avoid diabetes. It doesn't work that way.

All foods spike, just at different rates. Whey protein is the fastest, then sugar, then carbs. Protein is slower and fats are slower still.

A meal that includes all the macros will allow for a gradual increase in blood sugars over an extended time. Imagine gentle waves washing up on a beach instead of a tsunami.

People with properly regulating insulin levels will tamp down on the tsunami.

People with insulin resistance can't get enough insulin to regulate all the blood sugar. It could be an impaired pancreas, cells that aren't taking in sugar as they should, or obesity (just too much flesh) where there isn't enough insulin to go around.

I never know too much flesh can cause diabetes
    Are you saying you can get diabetes by consuming whey protein after wot out over time⌛

You don't get Type 2 diabetes from particular foods, or avoiding blood glucose spikes. You can't eat a cake sandwich on whole wheat bread and chase away the risk if you're overweight and sedentary.

Risk factors for diabetes include your BMI, activity level, genetics, and other things. The best you can do is maintain a healthy weight and exercise more, but it's no guarantee. Individual food choices are pretty much irrelevant in the big picture.

Here's a good overview on the NIH website. I'm quoting part of it below.

https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/diabetes/overview/risk-factors-type-2-diabetes
    What can I do to prevent type 2 diabetes?

You can take steps to help prevent or delay type 2 diabetes by losing weight if you are overweight, eating fewer calories, and being more physically active. Talk with your health care professional about any of the health conditions listed above that may require medical treatment. Managing these health problems may help reduce your chances of developing type 2 diabetes. Also, ask your health care professional about any medicines you take that might increase your risk.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    If you're going to eat white rice, drink green tea with your meal, or twice a day. Matcha is a good one also sencha. Green tea helps to keep your blood sugar normal.

Add fish or chicken with the rice, and some sort of vegetable. Green preferably. And stay with the serving suggestion. Its about 1 cup. But again.. green tea.

Sorry, there's no magic in green tea. Or any tea for that matter. It's a lovely drink, just doesn't have any effect on diabetes risk factors which is the OPs concern.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    excellent post earlnabby.

OP you do not need to fear insulin spikes or blood sugar spikes - you are not diabetic so your pancreas will produce insulin to cope with blood sugar increases and keep them at normal level (within normal fluctuations)

Beyond that I dont really understand the question - are you really going to eat plain white rice with nothing else several times per day??

I guess you could if you like it and it fits within your goals, wont hurt you to do so - but that is an unusual way to eat rice. (or anything)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    One of the things being researched is BG spikes. ;)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    excellent post earlnabby.

OP you do not need to fear insulin spikes or blood sugar spikes - you are not diabetic so your pancreas will produce insulin to cope with blood sugar increases and keep them at normal level (within normal fluctuations)

Beyond that I dont really understand the question - are you really going to eat plain white rice with nothing else several times per day??

I guess you could if you like it and it fits within your goals, wont hurt you to do so - but that is an unusual way to eat rice. (or anything)

NO I'm talking about how I heard that if you continue to eat refined carbs over time your body will start to OVER TIME not be able to control blood sugar and since white rice is a refined carb , hence my question.

What you heard is wrong.