Pilates

Options
Thinking about adding Pilates to my routine. If you have done it, would you recommend starting on a mat or a reformer?

Replies

• kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I swear by pilates. I've only ever done the mat classes. Pilates really complements with strength training and HIIT. After turning 40 I became really stiff and sore. I don't like yoga much so do pilates instead - it's great.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Either is fine to start with, but reformer classes are much more of a full body work out and allow for more progression due to the resistance. If you're going to pick between mat and reformer classes, I'd go with reformer classes.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I have taught mat Pilates and have done plenty of 1-on-1s on the apparatus. IMHO I think a mat class with an excellent classical-style teacher is an invaluable starting point. I added in reformer work as a supplement to Mat.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Go reformer, it's fun, challenging and works totally different muscles than regular daily stuff like running and weight lifting. My Saturday morning reformer class is a highlight of the week. Enjoy!
  • cheriej2042
    cheriej2042 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I love reformer! I find a good class involves strength and stretching. It definitely made me stronger and improved my balance. I take 2 classes a week.
  • chokhas
    chokhas Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    for talking classes I prefer reformer but there would usually some typical mat exercise included in that session too. at home I just do mat excesses but I have some equipment at home such as the rings stability cushion and a halo tool. I have some injuries that'require regular training or built up muscle so I can just do that in 30 to 45 mins at home. I wish I could have a reformer at home but the equipment is way too big :p
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Love me some Pilates. I really love doing a combination of two Pilates and three power yoga classes a week. I'm stronger and leaner than I've been in ages.