The fear of protein bars!

Options
13»

Replies

• TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I bought some Great Lakes gelatin a while back but have been afraid to try it in hot liquids. Thanks for the reminder :)

Just had some in room temperature tea and didn't care for it but I think hot coffee would be better.

It's fine in hot stuff. Although I don't really notice it, there might be some slight oiliness added to the texture but some coffees are naturally a little oily anyway so I can't tell. It's for sure masked with a dash of milk. This is the hydrolyzed kind though. Regular gelatin can be mixed with stuff but there's an art to it and it definitely adds texture. I feel like it also helps some with neck pain I have (probably from arthritis) but that's purely my subjective impression.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid! I love the Quest and Pure Protein bars. They are low in sugar and they fill me up before a workout. Plus, the PP bars are so good I sometimes feel like i"m eating a candy bar.
  • LotusCass
    LotusCass Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I've found 2 I love that have 20g protein and less than 2g sugar. I'd never reach my protein goal without them. I do eat ham and chicken but I'd have to eat so much of that to reach 20g protein.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I add hydrolyzed collagen to my coffee every morning. It's not as protein dense as some other things (11g for 43 calories), but it's practically invisible as to taste/texture. You could add it to all sorts of things without even knowing it's there because it's completely soluble. I use Great Lakes brand.

I'm not sure how it's not "as protein dense" as some other things when protein =4 cals per gram, and 11x4=44...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I think the appeal is that a protein bar is basically a candy bar and also can be carried around in a purse (or the like), which is not so easy with chicken breast.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I think the appeal is that a protein bar is basically a candy bar and also can be carried around in a purse (or the like), which is not so easy with chicken breast.

Double dare ya!
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how it's not "as protein dense" as some other things when protein =4 cals per gram, and 11x4=44...

Yeah, "dense" was the wrong word. Intense maybe? The serving is smaller as opposed to what might be in a protein bar or shake. You could add more I guess but it might start changing the texture or flavor as it approaches the serving size of the protein in a protein bar. Thank you for the correction though.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I like the aldi cookie dough protein bars. I am snacking on one now. 15g protein 190 calories.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

Yeah, "dense" was the wrong word. Intense maybe? The serving is smaller as opposed to what might be in a protein bar or shake. You could add more I guess but it might start changing the texture or flavor as it approaches the serving size of the protein in a protein bar. Thank you for the correction though.

I add 15-20g in to a big mug of coffee with no issues (I also add milk and sweetener which probably masks the slight taste)... And I can mix lots in to yoghurt easily. Serve the yoghurt with jelly made with the gelatin and you get even more! ;) much more fun than a protein bar
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    How you eat a half of a protein bar I don't know. I could eat 3 at once.

I almost want to request a vid of you doing this. :D

At once or one right after the other? lol. I seriously finished my Quest bar before the train went one stop today (subway train).
  • tklivory
    tklivory Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    It's honestly just easier (for me) and tastier to have cottage cheese with pumpkin seeds for a snack.

746dc1ec1121f83e12f03c1b0925df46.png

Nom nom nom.

*blink blink* I'll have to try that! I have some cottage cheese to use up, and that's a lovely mix of macros there. Thanks!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,990 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    SteveVx wrote: »
    I'm wondering if any of you have success stories keeping the weight off with them and what brands/flavors :)

I supplement my diet as needed w/protein bars, drinks and powder. Been in maintenance at 160# (+/- 2.5#) for the past 7 months doing so. Really not a problem.

I eat Pure Protein bars which offer the most protein (and least fat/carbs) for the lowest price and fewest cals. I also drink Vitamin Shoppe's Isotech42 and use MyProtein whey isolate powder, which do the same.

Just watch the cals and make sure you're getting enough protein for the $ and you'll be fine.