Easy protein 'mug cake'

Options
Geocitiesuser
Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
About 30 grams of your favorite whey powder

12 grams of unsweetened cocoa (or more whey or some almond flour or nothing)

1/2 tspn of baking powder

1 egg.

Combine dry ingedients in microwave safe bowl. Mix in egg, add water until cake batter consistency. The thinner it is the more it will rise to an extent i used a bit more than 1/4 cup

Mix well.

Microwave 1-2 min depending on microwave strength.

Replies

• tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Whats the macros? I'm going to try this I think, thanks.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Options
    It's going to depend on your protein/mix ins.

Mine last night came out to about 210 calories / 10 carbs (6 fiber) / 7 fat / 31 protein

It cakes up really well. You might want to add stevia or something if want it to be sweet. Otherwise it tastes like you'd kind of expect.

You could probably make protein bread this way if you have unflavored whey.

I'm mostly impressed with how well protein powder will fluff up with just baking powder.

If I make another I'll take a photo.
  • tunaboi
    tunaboi Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It's going to depend on your protein/mix ins.

Mine last night came out to about 210 calories / 10 carbs (6 fiber) / 7 fat / 31 protein

It cakes up really well. You might want to add stevia or something if want it to be sweet. Otherwise it tastes like you'd kind of expect.

I'm mostly impressed with how well protein powder will fluff up with just baking powder.

If I make another I'll take a photo.

Dude that's awesome! I will have to give it a try myself. I love to bake so just reading the title got my attention LOL, Although it won't be like the cakes that I make, it's something new to experience. And you totally read my mind, because I was about to post if you have any pics after reading your original post. Thanks for sharing!
  • Geocitiesuser
    Options
    It was inspired by the mighty muffin mug cakes by flapjacked, and was like... hmmm what happens if I add baking powder to just protein powder?

You can do it without the egg and use just water, but it really needs the fat of the yoke both to help hold shape and for flavor reasons.

I ran out of chocolate whey and only have vanilla at home now. Maybe I'll make a vanilla and chocolate one when I get home. It cakes up very well. I bet pb2 powder would go well in it or chocolate chips or whatever as well.

Just remember it tastes as you'd expect. Basically whey powder in a bready/cakey form. So if you don't add sweetner it's not going to hit your sweet tooth.
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I did something similar but instead of cake it made a fudge brownie and I was mind blown!

30g protein powder (I used ON whey chocolate)
    5g cocoa
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    60 ml unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    1 tsp of splenda

Combine all dry ingredients in a microwave safe mug and stir well, then add the milk and stir well again.
    Microwave 35 secs. As soon as it rises all the way to the top of the mug its done.

118 calories
    3g fat
    21g protein
    2g sugar
    1g fiber
    11g carb
    253 mg sodium

Here's the link to the youtube video
  • tunaboi
    tunaboi Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Yep, pb2 powder should work just fine. I'm thinking what will happen if I combine the water and powders into a paste first; whip eggs in separate bowl until a thick ribbon stage, then fold the eggs into the paste and heat it up. That might make the mug cake fluffier like a sponge cake lol.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Options
    I might have to pick up some almond milk :O
  • Geocitiesuser
    edited May 2017
    Options
    iBQ9epj_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=high

1 scoop vanilla isolate 90 cals 21g protein

2 tblspoon unsweetened Coco 6g fiber 40 cals

1/2 tspn baking powder

Egglands best large egg 7g protein 60 cals

Squirt of 0 cal chocolate syrup.

About 1/4 cup water

Kinda dry but awesome bed time snack at only 190 cals and over 28g protein. Made with whole milk would probably be amazing
  • leanitup123
    leanitup123 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    About 30 grams of your favorite whey powder

12 grams of unsweetened cocoa (or more whey or some almond flour or nothing)

1/2 tspn of baking powder

1 egg.

Combine dry ingedients in microwave safe bowl. Mix in egg, add water until cake batter consistency. The thinner it is the more it will rise to an extent i used a bit more than 1/4 cup

Mix well.

Microwave 1-2 min depending on microwave strength.

Been making one of these every night for about 5 years now...
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Now this has possibilities or add some cornmeal and have protein cornbread.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Options
    Chadxx wrote: »
    Now this has possibilities or add some cornmeal and have protein cornbread.

Even vanilla alone might be flavorless enough. When I cook it in a bowl like above it's thick enough you could slice it half, toast it, and put some butter it just like bread. Using just egg and water (no milk) the texture is more dry and bread like than moist and cake like.
    Been making one of these every night for about 5 years now...

I'm going to join you in this tradition. It's way more filling than just a shake in water.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Options
    I bought almond milk for the sole purpose of making these mug cakes with a better texture. I'm pretty stoked right now tbqh.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Omg! This is next on my dessert recipe list to try. I'm down to my last few slices of protein cheesecake. Can't wait to do protein mug cake! Nom nom nom!
  • Geocitiesuser
    Options
    This is nowhere near as good tasting as the cheesecake thread :) But it's definitely easy and has good macros, and is more filling than having a protein shake by its self.

But I haven't tried it with almond milk yet, will probably tonight. If it's significantly better/different I will post!
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    This is nowhere near as good tasting as the cheesecake thread :) But it's definitely easy and has good macros, and is more filling than having a protein shake by its self.

But I haven't tried it with almond milk yet, will probably tonight. If it's significantly better/different I will post!

Hmmm that's such a bummer. I'd rather have something that tastes really good so I'll keep playing with the recipe. I don't have plain protein shakes e.g. Protein + water. I make protein smoothies, so I never have a problem with them being filling. So what I'm trying to find is delicious high protein desserts.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Options
    Okay, texture and flavor are MUCH better using almond milk. I mixed in a crumbled up quest bar and it was pretty amazing. I think part of the trick is to not over cook it or it gets dry like stale bread

lMS0Vu0.png
  • Geocitiesuser
    Options
    Sorry to keep bumping this thread, but does anyone have any ideas on how to improve the texture?

I've been making one of these every night, playing with ratios/ingredients and not quite able to fix it.

First off, never use casein, it won't cake up and it will pretty much explode in your microwave lol. /lesson

I've tried both an egg and almond milk, but still too dry

I tried doubling cocoa powder (25g whey, 25g cocoa), really chocolately but still too dry.

I tried sugar free cary's maple syrup, and I've tried myprotein 0 cal chocolate syrup, still too dry

I might try a small sliver of butter tonight but I'm not sure how well it will mix via fork and I don't think I have any oil I can use, but I'm not sure oil would even fix it.

The issue is the resulting brownie is so dry I feel like I'm going to choke on it and I end up having to chug water to get it down. But if I don't cook it long enough it's just goop.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Options
    Thank you, I will pick up some applesauce on the way home. How much do you think I should be adding?
  • Geocitiesuser
    Options
    I did 25g whey isolate, 12g cocoa, 35g applesauce, and a splash of almond milk. Texture was much improved. I might try adding more apple sauce and upping the cocoa powder again.... Or i might skip the microwave and eat it like pudding!!