Calories not calculating for strength training?

Options
I input all of my strength training exercises, but it's still showing a zero calorie input my exercise is having on my nutrition. Is it because I put in exercises after I hit finish and completed my diary?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Enter strength training under cardio.
  • beanz744
    beanz744 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    theres no input for each individual exercise. u just enter the total time u did weight training under cardio n the calories burned is ONLY an estimate so dont go eating it all back. Eat back only half at most.

good luck!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    In the database to search for exercises, Strength Training means 2-5 sets, 5-15 reps, 2-4 min max rests between (not cardio to wear you out), heavy for you, meaning very difficult on last reps of each set.

If you are doing 15 or more reps, and about 1 min rests, that is Circuit Training.

If 20 or more reps and under 1 min rests, moving on to another movement, that is Calisthenics vigorous. (incorrectly called HIIT to use the fad term on many videos/classes).

And I'd suggest start with eating them all back, jumping to 50% is bad assumption based mostly or repeated rumor, especially since you won't get many calories anyway (compared to cardio of some sort).
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    beanz744 wrote: »
    theres no input for each individual exercise. u just enter the total time u did weight training under cardio n the calories burned is ONLY an estimate so dont go eating it all back. Eat back only half at most.

good luck!

"Only an estimate" means it can be high, low or reasonably accurate.
    Randomly halving an estimate doesn't make it more accurate!
  • beanz744
    beanz744 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

good luck!

i m not saying it will make it more accurate n nobody said halfing anything. i m cautioning beginners not to eat back ALL of the calories they burned because MFP is inacurate in that department. i professed to know everything so plz make a better suggestion if u have one
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

good luck!

i m not saying it will make it more accurate n nobody said halfing anything. i m cautioning beginners not to eat back ALL of the calories they burned because MFP is inacurate in that department. i professed to know everything so plz make a better suggestion if u have one

Don't worry about calorie burns during strength training because they are very minimal.

I
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

good luck!

@beanz744
    You said "eat back only half at most".

Based on what?
    The estimate isn't random, it's based on METS and the person's weight - halving an estimate is completely random when you have nothing to base halving it on. It's also a very small number already.

There are certainly inflated exercise estimates in the exercise database, doesn't mean they are all double.

The better suggestion is log it as based on the educated MFP rough estimate unless you have some better method of estimating an exercise - for strength training there isn't one.

Food logging inaccuracy is far more of an issue for most people due simply to the size of the number involved - hope you wouldn't suggest halving food estimates too.