I don’t take up as much space as I used to, and it’s kind of weirding me out.

Options
Hola,

The last couple of months have been incredible for me, but at the same time hard to adjust to. I lose in stalls-and-whooshes, but this last woosh, the one that’s gotten me into the low-to-mid-170s (lowest weight range I’ve been as an adult) is somehow throwing me for a psychological loop. Ten pounds ago I still felt the physical size I’ve been used to since I was in high school (I'm 32 now). I was 202 six years ago, my highest recorded weight, and the next time I weighed was Sept 2016 at 191. I’ve dropped nearly 20lbs since then (I’m a slow loser and I wasn’t really serious about this the first few months). For whatever reason I FEEL the 170s. I look smaller, I can fit into clothes I couldn’t, clothes I could fit in are too loose, and…and honestly, my body seems kinda alien being this much smaller. Don’t get me wrong, I love it, but it’s bizarre. My muscle memory is still trying to dress myself or buckle my seatbelt 20lb ago, and it’s not like I lost this 20lb overnight, so it seems like this should have been a gradual process. But, for whatever reason, I didn’t *feel* this weight loss until a couple of weeks ago, and it’s surprisingly hard to get adjusted to.

I still have 30lb to go to reach goal, but I’m adjusting my MFP settings in 5-10lb “tentpole" increments because I know setting it at “30lbs to go!” will look daunting as a litter of kittens. I don’t bemoan my weight loss in any way, I freakin’ love it, but…has anyone else had this weird kind of body dysmorphia? I don’t feel “fat” (even at 202 I never felt fat– that was the problem!) It’s just weird suddenly being relatively thin. I just don’t occupy the same physical space I used to, and have painfully crashed into furniture because I'm used to walking around with a few extra inches of padding on my hips and arms.

~Z

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,107 Member
    Options
    Hola,

The last couple of months have been incredible for me, but at the same time hard to adjust to. I lose in stalls-and-whooshes, but this last woosh, the one that’s gotten me into the low-to-mid-170s (lowest weight range I’ve been as an adult) is somehow throwing me for a psychological loop. Ten pounds ago I still felt the physical size I’ve been used to since I was in high school (I'm 32 now). I was 202 six years ago, my highest recorded weight, and the next time I weighed was Sept 2016 at 191. I’ve dropped nearly 20lbs since then (I’m a slow loser and I wasn’t really serious about this the first few months). For whatever reason I FEEL the 170s. I look smaller, I can fit into clothes I couldn’t, clothes I could fit in are too loose, and…and honestly, my body seems kinda alien being this much smaller. Don’t get me wrong, I love it, but it’s bizarre. My muscle memory is still trying to dress myself or buckle my seatbelt 20lb ago, and it’s not like I lost this 20lb overnight, so it seems like this should have been a gradual process. But, for whatever reason, I didn’t *feel* this weight loss until a couple of weeks ago, and it’s surprisingly hard to get adjusted to.

I still have 30lb to go to reach goal, but I’m adjusting my MFP settings in 5-10lb “tentpole" increments because I know setting it at “30lbs to go!” will look daunting as a litter of kittens. I don’t bemoan my weight loss in any way, I freakin’ love it, but…has anyone else had this weird kind of body dysmorphia? I don’t feel “fat” (even at 202 I never felt fat– that was the problem!) It’s just weird suddenly being relatively thin. I just don’t occupy the same physical space I used to, and have painfully crashed into furniture because I'm used to walking around with a few extra inches of padding on my hips and arms.

~Z

I kind of had a skewed view of my weight, it wasn't until I started looking back at photos after I started losing weight to help recover from an injury last year that I realised just how skewed it was, I always thought I carried my weight well (I do have broad muscley shoulders and wide-set hips), but in fact I had just learned how to dress well to appear more slimline and the camera is far less flattering. I've lost about 27lb so far and I am still in the obese range for BMI but I've toned up significantly since December and I have noticed things like I don't feel wedged into an aeroplane seat, my clothes are maybe a size too large now so I am having to wear belts to keep my jeans up, I've still a long way to go (another 40lb) and I can't imagine how I will look then because I've not been that weight since my early 20s.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I lost quickly after bariatric surgery so I can relate to your feelings for sure.

It is a process to adjust to your new shape, and it does mess with your head a bit.

Being able to squeeze between people in a narrow aisle for instance (thinking I can't), is a treat

It still gets weird when I run in to old friends and they don't recognize me until I start talking.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    It takes a while to adjust. I lost about 1/2 of my body weight and I would get surprised at things like having room to put my purse next to me on a chair or having regular sized towels actually wrap around me.

I've been maintaining for awhile and you get used to your "new normal" for the most part. It just takes some time.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I am still losing weight but I remember seeing an interesting post about someone stating that they still move to the side in hallways like they did when they were overweight and it was weird to realize that they didn't need to squeeze into tight spaces the same way. It is a shift in perception that is for sure, but it will become normal in time.
  • roboliciousbob
    roboliciousbob Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I've lost 53 pounds since Jan 2nd. I have this feeling all the time. Especially when I sit down in my car or sit down to shave my legs in the shower. And I'm looking at my body like a drunk person or high person looks at their hands. It's a very odd sensation, almost outta body sensation. And I find myself running into things but I've always had that isssue.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 150 lbs so obviously my body has changed. I always forget that have a lap now that I can sit my purse and other objects on. I do not cringe now when I have to sit in chairs with arms. More specific to the topic, what kept shocking me was when I touched my body and I felt my hip bone or my collar bone. It is kinda weird but I am getting used to it.
    Although I have lost weight I do not see it when I look at my body but I can look at my old clothes and know they are way too big for me now.