Too much fruit?

Options
v_hetu
v_hetu Posts: 11 Member
Hello guys I am trying to incorporate more fruits and veggies in my diet. Is there such a thing as too much fruit intake? I really like fruits, but can it cause damage or problems if they are taken more than the suggested servings?

Replies

• toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Striking a balance is probably the most healthy option. Fruit and veggies are great for you, but your body also needs fat and protein to build muscle and keep your organs healthy. So as long as you're getting adequate fat and protein, you can enjoy your fruit and veggies.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i dont think nutritionally wit will harm you, but you need to be mindful of the calorie content and ensuring you have a wide variety of foods in your diet and meet your macros.
  • spdaphne
    spdaphne Posts: 262 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I limit fruits in general no more than 1-2 servings a day. Though I have noticed I don't eat fruits very much for some reason, but I'm trying to incorporate them more. Even though fruit has natural sugar (vs processed), it can still increase your sugar which can impact your blood sugar and cause you to crash. Maybe stick to low GI foods like berries to help maintain your energy if you see it being a problem.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Fruit is a weakness for me. It is "healthy" but you have to understand that fruit is very calorie dense. It's easy to get too many calories eating fruit. Veggies that's not going to happen easily at all.

Lots of vegetables are just as calorie dense as fruit, sometimes more so. Compare blueberries to sweet potato, and the fruit is less calorie dense. Compare spinach to bananas and the fruit is more calorie dense.
  • v_hetu
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Wow there are some wonderful insights, suggestions and recommendations. My diet is considerably low in protein since I am a strict vegetarian. Fruits I take a lot more as source of fiber. So now I have to find a balance diet between that. I have started eating nuts a lot more, mostly almonds.. thank you so much for your all your time and suggestions!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    v_hetu wrote: »
    Wow there are some wonderful insights, suggestions and recommendations. My diet is considerably low in protein since I am a strict vegetarian. Fruits I take a lot more as source of fiber. So now I have to find a balance diet between that. I have started eating nuts a lot more, mostly almonds.. thank you so much for your all your time and suggestions!

Nuts are a great source of fat, but not a good source of protein due little protein in relationship to all their fat calories.

Legumes and dairy are better sources of protein for vegetarians - how much of these do you eat?
  • v_hetu
    Options
    I eat legumes / lentils / beans etc every other day. My diet is mostly Indian food, therefore legumes or lentil curry is often part of my food. There are so many types of lentils that can be made differently.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I eat legumes / lentils / beans etc every other day. My diet is mostly Indian food, therefore legumes or lentil curry is often part of my food. There are so many types of lentils that can be made differently.

Great, glad to hear it :)

But now I want some kitchari or channa dal...
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I like fruit a lot and eat 2-4 servings a day. I keep it under calories and have been using it to replace dessert impulses like chocolate or ice cream, so it has been helpful for me. Not that those desserts are necessarily bad for you, I just know that I personally have impulse/portion control issues with sweets/snacks and it is more manageable for me to approach it this way. I have also been substituting more veggies, but that is a slower process for me :)

But too much of anything is not good for you, so I would follow a lot of the sound advice here.
    Good luck!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    If you're eating so much fruit that you're not getting your other requisite nutrition, then it's too much fruit. There's such a thing as too much of anything.

Personally I emphasize veg and get a serving or two of fruit per day...and about 4-6 servings of veg depending on the day.
  • v_hetu
    Options
    I like fruit a lot and eat 2-4 servings a day. I keep it under calories and have been using it to replace dessert impulses like chocolate or ice cream, so it has been helpful for me. Not that those desserts are necessarily bad for you, I just know that I personally have impulse/portion control issues with sweets/snacks and it is more manageable for me to approach it this way. I have also been substituting more veggies, but that is a slower process for me :)

But too much of anything is not good for you, so I would follow a lot of the sound advice here.
    Good luck!

I do the same.. the biggest reason I eat fruits a lot more is to curb my sugar cravings!! I usually have 4 servings of fruits everyone.. thank you !

• v_hetu
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Great, glad to hear it :)

But now I want some kitchari or channa dal...

Yesterday I made yellow mung daal and karela subzi.. Nothing like homemade food !!
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    One rule of thumb is to "eat the rainbow" (as opposed to taste the rainbow with Skittles) so as long as you are finding a good balance between fruit and veg and eating a wide variety of each, that is going to be nutritionally optimal. I will generally eat 3-5 servings of fruit and 3-5 servings of veg, with my ideal being 10 servings a day. So for today as an example, my breakfast and lunch consist of 3-4 ounces of red salsa, orange sliced bell pepper, a large serving of yellow winter squash soup, green granny smith apple, green romaine, and a bag of freeze-dried blueberries (I didn't plan a rainbow, I was just particularly colorful today).

Regarding your comment on protein--for me, since I lift weights and in general am extremely active, it's important to hit a high level of protein (100+ grams) to retain/build muscle, and just for general glossiness of skin, hair and nails, along with higher satiety. You can do a lot of tricks to work in vegetarian-appropriate protein throughout the day; for example, I will add 5 ounces of 0% greek yogurt to my squash soup instead of sour cream. So just a public service announcement to not shirk on protein.
  • v_hetu
    Options
    One rule of thumb is to "eat the rainbow" (as opposed to taste the rainbow with Skittles) so as long as you are finding a good balance between fruit and veg and eating a wide variety of each, that is going to be nutritionally optimal. I will generally eat 3-5 servings of fruit and 3-5 servings of veg, with my ideal being 10 servings a day. So for today as an example, my breakfast and lunch consist of 3-4 ounces of red salsa, orange sliced bell pepper, a large serving of yellow winter squash soup, green granny smith apple, green romaine, and a bag of freeze-dried blueberries (I didn't plan a rainbow, I was just particularly colorful today).

Regarding your comment on protein--for me, since I lift weights and in general am extremely active, it's important to hit a high level of protein (100+ grams) to retain/build muscle, and just for general glossiness of skin, hair and nails, along with higher satiety. You can do a lot of tricks to work in vegetarian-appropriate protein throughout the day; for example, I will add 5 ounces of 0% greek yogurt to my squash soup instead of sour cream. So just a public service announcement to not shirk on protein.
    Thank you so much for your guidance ! I may steal some of your breakfast mentioned above !!
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Fruit is a weakness for me. It is "healthy" but you have to understand that fruit is very calorie dense. It's easy to get too many calories eating fruit. Veggies that's not going to happen easily at all.
    Dried fruit or fruit juices might be calorie dense, but whole fruit isn't calorie dense at all. Meats, dairy, grains, beans, and nuts are all more calorie dense. Starchy vegetables are comparable. The only other kind of food that's less calorie-dense is non-starchy vegetables. Because it has a lot of fiber and water in it, it's very hard to eat too many calories from fruit. Just as an illustration, a bowl of cereal has more calories than a whole medium cantaloupe. Three saltine crackers have more calories than a large orange. And a McDonalds hamburger (the size they serve to kids) has about the same number of calories as two large apples.

If you're eating a lot of fruit and still getting too many calories, it's likely to be coming from the other foods, not the fruit. Eating a lot of fruit could be a problem if you have some kind of health condition or if you are neglecting to eat other healthy foods, but otherwise it's not likely to be a problem.
  • cstevenson86
    cstevenson86 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Fruit can act just as bad as candy....if you're not careful!

I was told to eat the following fruits by our trainer at work:
    -Caneloupe
    -Honeydew melon
    -Blueberries
    -Blackberries
    -Raspberries
    -Apples
    -Pears

Avoid the following:
    -Bananas
    -Strawberries
    -Grapes

Hope this helps!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Fruit can act just as bad as candy....if you're not careful!

I was told to eat the following fruits by our trainer at work:
    -Caneloupe
    -Honeydew melon
    -Blueberries
    -Blackberries
    -Raspberries
    -Apples
    -Pears

Avoid the following:
    -Bananas
    -Strawberries
    -Grapes

Hope this helps!

Why? Is there any valid reason for avoiding the 3??