Another Reason To Not Use A Detox

Options
They might cause unintended pregnancies due to, the product's laxative effect potentially causing birth control pills to; absorb improperly within the body!

http://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/2017/05/24/detox-teas-plugged-by-kylie-jenner-may-cause-unintended-pregnancy.html

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    how about cause they just don't work...that's enough for me...

esp since not everyone can get pregnant..not much of a deterrent
  • Btheodore138
    Btheodore138 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    That detox tea sent a friend of mine to the hospital. She had been in pain for WEEKS. It really does a number on your digestive system since it's basically a diuretic.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    It would be nice for the article to contain a specific study backing up claims that detoxes or specifically this brand MAY cause birth control pills to absorb improperly. I believe all these weight loss products are harmful and scams anyways, but it would nice for the birth control user to have a point of reference.

Wonder if birth control Patient Information that comes with their pack of pills has/will have a warning on them. Interesting to know.

If everyone realized that your liver, kidney and colon already detox the body naturally maybe these products would just go away and stop being available to cause harm.
  • alibee1mfp
    alibee1mfp Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    There are warnings on birth control that they're not effective if you have diarrhoea or vomiting. Whether that's caused by detoxifying tea or whatever is not relevant.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    That detox tea sent a friend of mine to the hospital. She had been in pain for WEEKS. It really does a number on your digestive system since it's basically a diuretic.

@Btheodore138 I am, very sorry for; your friend's suffering but thank you, immensely for; sharing!
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    It would be nice for the article to contain a specific study backing up claims that detoxes or specifically this brand MAY cause birth control pills to absorb improperly. I believe all these weight loss products are harmful and scams anyways, but it would nice for the birth control user to have a point of reference.

Wonder if birth control Patient Information that comes with their pack of pills has/will have a warning on them. Interesting to know.

If everyone realized that your liver, kidney and colon already detox the body naturally maybe these products would just go away and stop being available to cause harm.

I agree but since the this paragraph via the article doesn't contradict what, we already know concerning these products I; felt comfortable enough to post it! Otherwise it should be, common sense that; if you vomit and/or expel waste prematurely that, you'd also be expelling whatever; takes time to dissolve, digest & absorb:

"Despite those claims, the products, which are shipped worldwide, are not regulated by the Food and Drug Administration, which has a rigorous vetting process for safety and efficacy. And, as many experts have been quick to point out, there’s no scientific proof that “detoxes” result in healthy and sustained weight loss, nor is there concrete proof they're even necessary. In fact, the liver, kidney and colons already detox the body naturally."
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    alibee1mfp wrote: »
    There are warnings on birth control that they're not effective if you have diarrhoea or vomiting. Whether that's caused by detoxifying tea or whatever is not relevant.

This, pretty much.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

Birth control pills do carry a warning that vomiting or diarrhea may cause them to be expelled before they have absorbed and leave the person at risk of pregnancy. That's what happens here. It's not specific to the detox, it's simply because 'detox' is a fancy way of saying 'induced diarrhea'.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options

Birth control pills do carry a warning that vomiting or diarrhea may cause them to be expelled before they have absorbed and leave the person at risk of pregnancy. That's what happens here. It's not specific to the detox, it's simply because 'detox' is a fancy way of saying 'induced diarrhea'.

So basically misuse and abuse of your colon (and semicolon) is a bad thing and should be avoided.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Kylie Jenner is on a roll with her promotions, huh?
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »

So basically misuse and abuse of your colon (and semicolon) is a bad thing and should be avoided.

So basically: misuse of your colon (and semicolon) is a bad thing; and should be avoided; I can believe in that.

;)