• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Don't overeat
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    My thoughts?

Don't worry too much about weight management and enjoy your vacation. Don't eat everything in sight, but enjoy. Sample things, but don't eat whole platefuls of everything.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I have not done it so I have no idea. My past two vacations I gained. I did exercise every day and did a lot of walking but I did give myself permission to go off the grid. I would not say the best idea but I did.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I just got back from a 2-week vacation where I stopped logging entirely, paid no attention to what I ate apart from making sure I got at least one dessert every day, and ran what felt like only a portion of my usual distance only 2 days out of the 12. Yeah, there were days when I did a lot of walking, but there were also days when I did nothing but sit in an arena watching a sporting event while drinking beer. I came home to find I'd lost 2 lbs. Go figure.

The way I think about it, a vacation is a vacation. It's limited in time, and unless you REALLY focus on stuffing yourself you're unlikely to undo all your hard work. Maybe only some of it; maybe none of it. But a vacation is for letting go and not worrying. I suggest you do that.
  • bernadettenz
    bernadettenz Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I've just come back from a weeks holiday in China (from NZ). When I travel I have a holiday from MFP as well with the knowledge that, just like my job, I have to restart when I get home. It's no biggie. I eat what I want and enjoy it.
    Four days after returning I was back to the weight I was when I left. All good :smile:
    Will have to rethink it if I go on holiday for longer than a fortnight though.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    If I were to go to Hawaii I would probably lose weight. There's all kinds of activities you can do there. If you're going to just sit around one has to wonder why you are spending money to do what you can do at home.
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    ccsernica wrote: »
    I just got back from a 2-week vacation where I stopped logging entirely, paid no attention to what I ate apart from making sure I got at least one dessert every day, and ran what felt like only a portion of my usual distance only 2 days out of the 12. Yeah, there were days when I did a lot of walking, but there were also days when I did nothing but sit in an arena watching a sporting event while drinking beer. I came home to find I'd lost 2 lbs. Go figure.

The way I think about it, a vacation is a vacation. It's limited in time, and unless you REALLY focus on stuffing yourself you're unlikely to undo all your hard work. Maybe only some of it; maybe none of it. But a vacation is for letting go and not worrying. I suggest you do that.

I just came back from a 2.5 week trip too. One week of that was a cruise ship - WOW, all the fooooood! It was amazing and I enjoyed every minute of having other people cook for me and clean up after me!!

I tried to keep my portions fairly reasonable. And actually other than the big mealtimes, I was so busy that there was very little snacking in between.

And plenty of walking, plus swimming at times.

I put on a pound. It was worth it.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Move, track, and don't get redonkulous with your food. Not every single meal needs to be a calorie bomb.
  • spiffychick85
    spiffychick85 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I tend to put my weight loss on hold on vacation. I'm there to relax and enjoy my family...I eat if I'm hungry, my damage is always minimal. Maybe it slows down your progress by a week, but in the grand scheme of things it isn't that bad :)
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I don't go on vacation very much but when I do I like to do things that are active (like hiking). So I am burning plenty of calories. Personally I wouldn't log my food on vacation but that's just me. I'm there to relax and take a break from every day life.
  • everstrong55
    everstrong55 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Move, walk, play. And only eat something rather special.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,014 Member
    Options
    I went to Hawaii last year - beautiful place.

What I do on holiday is stop logging for couple of weeks, is just too difficult IMO to track with any degree of accuracy at all, foods are different portions/ weights unknown etc

I just try to be generally active - and I do tend to walk more on holiday than in everyday life at home.
    And, even without logging, make sensible choices about drinks, enjoy the food whilst still keeping to sensible portion sizes - and even if you put on a pound or two, it's a holiday, it's worth it, get back on wagon when you get home.