DEEZ NUTS

Options
wanderinglight
wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
edited May 2017 in Food and Nutrition
So...I finally started *actually* using a food scale after many years of thinking I was being pretty good about my quantities. And it turns out that I had been mostly accurate with everything except for when it came to logging nuts. Yesterday I logged 58g of nuts, which was only one large handful, and it was 320 calories!!

Made we wonder how many hundreds of extra calories I have been eating in the past!

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Yup, nuts are calorie bombs. That's why I suggest them to anyone having trouble hitting their daily calorie goal. It only takes a handful!
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    a lot, if u r like me. :(
  • jgnatca
    Options
    They are good for hypoglycemics and diabetics as the calories are released slowly. The blood sugar impact may take as long as twelve hours.
  • wanderinglight
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    They are good for hypoglycemics and diabetics as the calories are released slowly. The blood sugar impact may take as long as twelve hours.

They're great, and I eat them every day. Since I cut out sugar a few months ago they actually taste sweet to me now (especially cashews) and I love them! But they had always been a sort of "freebie" for me and now I'm realizing that I was probably eating 400 or maybe even 500 extra calories a day just in nuts.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    well, I don't know about anyone else, but I love those facts!
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I find that they're a hard snack to moderate... but used to garnish a salad or sprinkle on top or a stir fry or casserole, a little goes a long way.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Ha. Fats have double the calories per gram than carbs. Cutting out sugar and replacing it with fats isn't going to help with weight loss at all. On the other hand, the sustained energy from fats can't be beat for keeping our faculties sharp, or to help us climb mountains and finish marathons.

https://www.ted.com/talks/suzana_herculano_houzel_what_is_so_special_about_the_human_brain

Plopping a bowl of nuts in front of the TV however, kind of kills the point.
  • cangler
    cangler Posts: 104 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    they're delicious but often over eaten.
    food scale is essential.
  • TheFrostyCanuck
    TheFrostyCanuck Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Great title because, mother of a 12 year old son. LOL Yup, he loves the videos.
  • wanderinglight
    Options
    Great title because, mother of a 12 year old son. LOL Yup, he loves the videos.

I've got 12-year-old nephews...still clinging to my reigning title as "the fun aunt." :)