Hit a Plateau

Options
Hi I am EBF (exclusively breastfeeding) so was trying not to eat below 1500 cals a day. I've lost 14lbs so far but I haven't lost anything in the last 2-3 weeks with no changes to the plan. I'm 4lbs from my goal so really trying to get there! Anyone have advice for hitting a plateau?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    A plateau is 6 weeks or longer. That close to your goal your losses will be tiny each week - think half lb or less. Also that close to goal your logging needs to be practically perfect. I have personally never seen a plateau that wasn't due to logging issues. Food scale for ALL solids, measuring cups/spoons for ALL liquids. Being very accurate with exercise calories. Use accurate entries for food. Use the recipe builder. Log EVERY thing that passes your lips.
  • FernRunner
    FernRunner Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    How old is your baby? I've nursed three babes, and I've noticed (and know) that at a certain point, the calorie content of my milk decreased, and it took more of a deficit on my part to continue losing.
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Patience. That close to goal weight loss gets slower, and since it sounds like you recently had a baby your body's going through a lot of repair work. :) 2-3 weeks is pretty typical for weight loss to be masked by the normal ups and downs of water weight. The scale will move again soon!
    And really, what are the options? Eating less isn't good for you or the baby, and eating more will cut into your calorie deficit. Some people say to try a new form of exercise, but that can increase water retention while your muscles get used to it. So I think staying the course is your best bet, and you'll get there!
    Congrats on the 14 pounds so far!