Need help with tricep exercises

Options
Whenever I try to do tricep exercises (and I have tried many, both with and without weights) I don't feel the burn in my tricep like I should. Later on I will feel sore in other areas, like my forearms or upper back. I'm sure there is something off with my form,but without a picture or video it would be hard for anyone to tell me. Does anybody have general advice? Can anyone recommend a fail proof way to work out my triceps? Thanks!

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    It's possible that your triceps happen to be stronger than your forearms, but if your upper back is sore it's a form issue. When doing exercises for your triceps focus on keeping your elbow in the same place through the movement. If your elbows drift you'll transfer the effort to other body parts.
  • liftorgohome
    liftorgohome Posts: 25,455 Member
    Options
    ^ keep elbow by your side and don't go up past your chin then straight down for pushdowns. You can also do dumbell extensions.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Without knowing what exercises you're doing it is kind of hard to make a suggestion. The only thing I can think is to keep the weight low enough that you can keep the upper arm/tricep steady and focus on working it instead of doing the work with your forearms or back.
  • moonstroller
    moonstroller Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Have you tried tricep dips using a chair?
  • SciWhiz
    SciWhiz Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    What exercises are you doing? Skull crushers, kickbacks, dips, and overhead extensions always get me. You can always youtube some videos before trying them.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Forearms sounds like a grip issue, which will likely get better the more you do whatever it is you're doing.

Upper back sounds like a form issue, which means you're probably using too much weight. Which may also be why your grip/forearm is fatiguing early.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    There are a couple I do with resistance tubes. One is in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou0n5aO_K9Y&index=4&list=PLI3qjG5jMFlIR-pdkHHTlGJbODQiEitYp

The other is here: https://www.theragear.ca/exercise_search.php?command=search&product=Fit+Tube&category=18 (I do the overhead extension, but there's also that split-squat one...)
  • AllisonS79
    AllisonS79 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Have you tried tricep dips using a chair?

Yes and that is when I felt it the next day between my shoulder blades instead ☹️

• AllisonS79
    Options
    SciWhiz wrote: »
    What exercises are you doing? Skull crushers, kickbacks, dips, and overhead extensions always get me. You can always youtube some videos before trying them.

When I try to do kickbacks is when I feel it in my forearms instead.
  • AllisonS79
    Options

When I try overhead extensions with a 5lb or 8lb weight I'm just not feeling a burn . If anything, I'm feeling it in my shoulder.
  • jemhh
    Options
    AllisonS79 wrote: »

When I try overhead extensions with a 5lb or 8lb weight I'm just not feeling a burn . If anything, I'm feeling it in my shoulder.

You don't need to feel a burn.
  • AllisonS79
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

No? I thought in order to work a muscle you should feel the muscle working and try to get it to the point of fatigue.

• AllisonS79
    Options
    That's what I mean by "feel the burn" , to clarify
  • FatWithFatness
    FatWithFatness Posts: 315 Member
    Options

No? I thought in order to work a muscle you should feel the muscle working and try to get it to the point of fatigue.

You're going to feel it where you're weakest first. I'm a big fan of standing rope french press, ez-curl extensions, and dips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GWilKDXEY4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rh3MHnRI_I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqxwoQvMEjY
  • ramskermfc
    ramskermfc Posts: 41 Member
    Options
  • jemhh
    Options

You can focus on trying to feel the muscle work but I would not call that a burn.

I think you have a form issue.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    For me its all about elbow placement. Sounds like all form issues which can be corrected.

When I do bench dips I have to position my hands/grip on the bench and arms positioned just right on the bench to get that feeling out my shoulder and right into the tricep. Skull crushers and kick backs are excellent as well but again it takes good form. You know when the integrity of the exercise is not setup correctly..

When doing overhead's I need to be holding heavy weight and I still have to setup my form which my elbows and arms are essentially out of my shoulders and put in the right place.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

I was actually going to post this video and you beat me to it! :) This is by far my favorite Tricep Exercise - bringing the barbell behind the head instead of to the forehead really lengthens the muscle (the eccentric part of the lift) and that's what you want when you're doing isolation lifts.

Sometimes when I'm doing the isolation lifts I'll close my eyes and really focus on the muscle I'm working. This is what you want - "the mind muscle/connection" not a "burn".
  • sarahshinks2233
    sarahshinks2233 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Are you watching your form in the mirror? I tend to let my back do some of the work unconsciously if I am not watching at least the first one or two tricep pulldowns or dips. Some lifts are easier to see if no mirror is available, skullcrushers or some of the others mentioned.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I thought in order to work a muscle you should feel the muscle working and try to get it to the point of fatigue.

Most of the better exercises work many muscles at a time - sometimes dozens of muscles - and you won't necessarily be able to pinpoint what's working - the movement will simply feel challenging.

Unless you're trying to bulk up, i wouldn't worry too much about kickbacks and other isolation exercises (single joint movements) and instead focus on compound exercises (multiple joints). Most good strength programs prioritize those because they tend to be more effective & functional - and they save time too. Your triceps still get worked plenty in exercises like the chest press, overhead press, and.. if you lift heavy.. the deadlift. :+1: