Post-workout Smoothie

Options
Anyone have a favorite recipe they wanna share???

Replies

• dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Post workout there is nothing better than a smoothie give back something to your body. Here are some key ingredients:

Good quality whey protein - for rebuilding muscle. I personally like Optimum Nutrition (ON) Whey - Chocolate Malt
    Frozen Wild Blueberries - high in antioxidants. Get the wild ones - a lot higher in antioxidants and more concentrated flavor. Exercise, especially cardio/endurance activities puts a lot of oxidative stress on your body
    Frozen pineapple - in addition to Vitamin C (antioxidant) B vitamins, etc. it also contains bromelain, an enzyme that has anti-inflammatory properties
    Banana - Potassium
    Unsweetened almond milk - At 30 calories/cup it's not adding a lot of extra calories
    Handful of greens - spinach is a good one. When you buzz it you hardly notice it's there
    Other things you can add (ground flaxseed, raw cacao powder)

The frozen fruit chills it down so you don't need ice.

Experiment - have fun!
  • cap13087
    cap13087 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My current favorite pre or post workout is:
    1 frozen banana
    1 TBS peanut butter (just peanuts, no fillers, etc.)
    1 TBS 100% unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 cup unsweetened almond milk
    1 TBS hemp seeds
    1 tsp bee pollen
    1/2 tsp raw manuka honey
    3 (or so) ice cubes

Add it all together and whir the heck out of it! I have a nutri bullett.

I have tried protein powders, they are great, but I am not a huge fan of the taste. This tastes like a happy milkshake with some natural protein to me :) I am ok with the fat from peanut butter and the sugars from honey. Make sure you look up bee pollen, it can be contraindicated for some people.