Intermittent fasting... 20:4 too much?

Options

Replies

• fatblatta
    fatblatta Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    This thousand calorie a day thing is hogwash too. If a person eats 500 calories a few days a week and 2000 calories the other days it all adds up fine. Eat when you're hungry. I had to relearn what hungry was.
  • hansklamp2112
    hansklamp2112 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    First off: Although there may not be "direct benefits" to intermittent fasting (IF)... despite what people say... it works for people. It helps people control urges, avoid insulin spikes which might cause them to want to eat more, etc.

I honestly have a very rollercoaster type of eating schedule throughout the year. For a few months I'll be like 16:8 and then sometimes I'll just always be hungry and have much less time on an empty stomach. It just depends how I am working out, what I am training for, and I think the seasons certainly have their play in it.

IF for 20:4 to me sounds like pure torture especially as I am training for endurance events and pushing strength numbers simultaneously (like an idiot), but I don't see why you can't as long as it works for you. One thing I'd be concerned about is if you're actually trying to build muscle you're seriously neglecting providing your body the building blocks in adequate time after a workout unless you're eating directly after. No, I'm not one of those people who is like "omg you need protein right after workout" because it's not that simple, but if you workout and wait say 8-12 hours, you're giving up some great time to feed the muscle with for rebuilding.

Honestly, do the schedule you want, just keep in mind it depends on YOUR goals. If you're purely trying to burn weight, technically, a deficit and 20:4 would work just fine. If you're trying to burn weight, but training for something or trying to build muscle for strength, I'd recommend eating a bit more often or you're gonna start burning out.

This is from personal experience and although not everyone is like me, I think we can all agree our food is fuel and if we're working out hard, without that fuel, we're gonna suffer.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    I have been doing one meal per day for the past month. just one big meal at around 11:30 am. 8 oz of meat + 8 oz of green leafy vegs + 2 cups of bone broth. no hunger. no craving. losing weight. so far so good. simple and easy life.

This not meeting your calorie needs or nutritional needs and is quite unsustainable and unhealthy.

OP the question is are you able to get in all your calories in this one meal and meet adequate nutrients and calories? If so, no harm. If not, may want to reassess this method.

I'm on a keto diet. most of my calories came from fat. I use fat to cook the meat and vegs. 8oz of meat and 8 oz of green leafy veg and 2 cup bone broth have enough nutrients for any adult.

Diary entries I saw were less than 1000..

that is because I didn't add any tbs of cooking oil. I never know how to add cooking oil as some oil usually stay in the cooking pan. Like when I use 4 tbs of oil + butter to cook my steak, I have no idea how much of that I actually consumed.

Unless you are like 100 lbs, you are barely getting enough protein which would be the area I'd be concerned with. Low protein and lack of resistance training will increase muscle loss and further decrease metabolism.
  • fatblatta
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I have been doing one meal per day for the past month. just one big meal at around 11:30 am. 8 oz of meat + 8 oz of green leafy vegs + 2 cups of bone broth. no hunger. no craving. losing weight. so far so good. simple and easy life.

This not meeting your calorie needs or nutritional needs and is quite unsustainable and unhealthy.

OP the question is are you able to get in all your calories in this one meal and meet adequate nutrients and calories? If so, no harm. If not, may want to reassess this method.

I'm on a keto diet. most of my calories came from fat. I use fat to cook the meat and vegs. 8oz of meat and 8 oz of green leafy veg and 2 cup bone broth have enough nutrients for any adult.

that is because I didn't add any tbs of cooking oil. I never know how to add cooking oil as some oil usually stay in the cooking pan. Like when I use 4 tbs of oil + butter to cook my steak, I have no idea how much of that I actually consumed.

Unless you are like 100 lbs, you are barely getting enough protein which would be the area I'd be concerned with. Low protein and lack of resistance training will increase muscle loss and further decrease metabolism.

I'm not sure about the protein. I think too much is a bad thing. I was sedentary for a long time and ate high protein low-fat diets to lose weight. I think this killed my metabolism and I'd always gain the weight back. I try to eat low carb, high fat, moderate protein now. Much better and very sustainable. I agree that adding resistance training is super important.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    fatblatta wrote: »

I'm not sure about the protein. I think too much is a bad thing. I was sedentary for a long time and ate high protein low-fat diets to lose weight. I think this killed my metabolism and I'd always gain the weight back. I try to eat low carb, high fat, moderate protein now. Much better and very sustainable. I agree that adding resistance training is super important.

Youd have to eat a substainal amount of protein for it to be excessive. In fact studies support increased protein during weight loss.

And if anything it supports metabolism.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    This thousand calorie a day thing is hogwash too. If a person eats 500 calories a few days a week and 2000 calories the other days it all adds up fine. Eat when you're hungry. I had to relearn what hungry was.

No one is saying it's bad to do some kind of 5:2 or ADF program. The issue is whether it's a good idea to eat below 1000 every day.

Anyway, OP, I think what everyone said is right -- if you can eat adequate calories and get adequate nutrition in 4 hours, no reason at all not to do it. People who can (and enjoy) eating big meals would do well. I'd struggle (and never be able to hit my vegetable or protein goals), but many would not.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

If anything messed you up from a high protein, low fat diet, it was the low fat - not the high protein. Fat is essential to proper bodily functions and hormones.
  • fatblatta
    Options

Youd have to eat a substainal amount of protein for it to be excessive. In fact studies support increased protein during weight loss.

Not necessarily. LCHF is a ketosis diet. If you are eating for ketosis, excess protein turns right into glucose and has a negative effect. So if ketosis is your goal, moderate protein is the best. Intermittent fasting gets's you into ketosis fast and can help keep you there too.
  • fatblatta
    edited May 2017
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

If anything messed you up from a high protein, low fat diet, it was the low fat - not the high protein. Fat is essential to proper bodily functions and hormones.

Maybe. And restricting calories. I think your body adjusts. You eat less and your body conserves. You eat more and your body stays in conserve mode and packs on the pounds. Doing this over and over again is what kills your metabolism....I think. Who really knows. If people really knew about this there would be no fat people. I eat low carb, high fat, moderate protein now and toss in some intermittent fasting. But, what works for one person may not be ideal for the next. No dietician that looked at what I eat would ever think it induces weight loss. But it does, fast at first, slow and steady after 6 months. They would tell me to stop eating healthy fat and eat six tiny meals a day. This is just bad advice, imho and experience.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Maybe. And restricting calories. I think your body adjusts. You eat less and your body conserves. You eat more and your body stays in conserve mode and packs on the pounds. Doing this over and over again is what kills your metabolism....I think. Who really knows. If people really knew about this there would be no fat people. I eat low carb, high fat, moderate protein now and toss in some intermittent fasting. But, what works for one person may not be ideal for the next.

What would hurt metabolism is aggressive weight loss, with inadequate protein and inadequate resistance training; all of which have been shown in many studies. Poor energy, adherence and hormonal issues can be causes through aggressive weight loss, either too little carbs, too little fat or a combination of both (this is why body building diets suck).

The problem is adherence and compliance which is driven by a host of factors, which is why failure is so high.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Not necessarily. LCHF is a ketosis diet. If you are eating for ketosis, excess protein turns right into glucose and has a negative effect. So if ketosis is your goal, moderate protein is the best. Intermittent fasting gets's you into ketosis fast and can help keep you there too.

It has to be pretty high, though, and there are good reasons to not go too low on protein when aiming for ketosis.

Studies discussed here are interesting: http://caloriesproper.com/a-timeline-of-ketoadaptation/

• psuLemon
    Options

LCHF and Keto are different diets and have different thresholds. LCHF is less than 140g. Ketosis is less than 50g (some more active can be much higher; I am seen some cyclist around 200g). There is no proof, at least that I have seen to suggest a negative impact on ketosis through consumption of adequate levels of protein. In fact, it's more fearmongering than anything concrete.

Even more, I have yet to see anything get pushed out of ketosis for adequate levels of protein. During cuts, they should be ~.6 to 1g per lb of weight (http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/pdf/10.1139/apnm-2015-0549). As you get leaner, the higher your levels of protein required. In fact, this is the first thing I address even with client following keto diets.
  • fatblatta
    Options

Maybe. And restricting calories. I think your body adjusts. You eat less and your body conserves. You eat more and your body stays in conserve mode and packs on the pounds. Doing this over and over again is what kills your metabolism....I think. Who really knows. If people really knew about this there would be no fat people. I eat low carb, high fat, moderate protein now and toss in some intermittent fasting. But, what works for one person may not be ideal for the next.

What would hurt metabolism is aggressive weight loss, with inadequate protein and inadequate resistance training; all of which have been shown in many studies. Poor energy, adherence and hormonal issues can be causes through aggressive weight loss, either too little carbs, too little fat or a combination of both (this is why body building diets suck).

The problem is adherence and compliance which is driven by a host of factors, which is why failure is so high.

I'd have to be guilty of aggressive weight loss, extra protein, and OCD weight training. It worked great this first 10 times...ha ha.

Now LCHF and intermittent fasting encourages adherence and compliance is easy. But then again I love to make eggs Benedict with extra hollandaise for Sunday breakfast.
  • fatblatta
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

It has to be pretty high, though, and there are good reasons to not go too low on protein when aiming for ketosis.

Studies discussed here are interesting: http://caloriesproper.com/a-timeline-of-ketoadaptation/

I never said low protein.
  • fatblatta
    edited May 2017
    Options

LCHF and Keto are different diets and have different thresholds. LCHF is less than 140g. Ketosis is less than 50g (some more active can be much higher; I am seen some cyclist around 200g). There is no proof, at least that I have seen to suggest a negative impact on ketosis through consumption of adequate levels of protein. In fact, it's more fearmongering than anything concrete.

Even more, I have yet to see anything get pushed out of ketosis for adequate levels of protein. During cuts, they should be ~.6 to 1g per lb of weight (http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/pdf/10.1139/apnm-2015-0549). As you get leaner, the higher your levels of protein required. In fact, this is the first thing I address even with client following keto diets.

You're mistaken. LCHF and Keto are essentially the same. Keto is LCHF that is less than 20 net carbs. What you've read doesn't stand up to what I've tested with a ketosis blood meter. Eating high protein and not enough fat will kick you right out of ketosis.

How low is low carb?

The fewer carbohydrates you eat, the bigger the effects on weight and blood sugar will be. We recommend following the dietary advice as strictly as you can. When you’re happy with your weight and health, you may carefully try eating more liberally (if you want to).

Here are three examples of what a low-carb meal can look like, depending on how many carbs you eat per day:

Ketogenic low carb-Ketogenic 0-20, moderate low carb 20-50, Liberal low carbLiberal 50-100

A strict low-carb diet is often called a ketogenic (or “keto”) diet.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb
  • fatblatta
    Options
    Yes, I believe you are mistaken and splitting hairs. I don't need recommendations. I'm living it. I tested it. I'm not saying low protein. I think moderate protein is the best. I'm saying high protein is counter productive. Sorry. I don't mean to offend you. You're obviously and expert and I'm just a fat guy trying to get normal. ha ha
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    filbo132 wrote: »
    I am no fan of keto, but one question I've always asked myself is how does one get micronutrients with less than 25g of carbs per day?

I've never done keto, but I believe organ meats can be a good source of micronutrients that might otherwise be lacking in a very low carbohydrate diet.