How do you know?

Options
So, how do you know if it's actual weight/fat loss, or water weight?
When your weight stays the same for several days? Everyone knows the number fluctuates on a day to day basis for the most part. If taking a diuretic, and making sure you are adequately hydrated is part of yoyr daily regimen, you determine it''s not water weight loss?

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    To put on a pound of fat you would need to eat 3500 calories above your maintenance level. If you have been logging accurately and sticking to your calorie goal then you would know that it's water weight gain and not body fat.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You have to watch the long-term trend, as weight fluctuates from day to day
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Water weight makes me lose more than I expected some weeks, weigh more other weeks and stay the same for a couple of weeks in a row, because I don't have too much to lose (roughly 15 pounds) I have to look at the trends on a month by month basis, I weigh everyday but only really pay attention to what my average loss was at the end of a month. :) There is no way to control it, and it is totally natural, I wouldn't bother with the diuretics as you'll just put it back on once you stop taking them. Just drink enough water and be mindful that you'll probably weigh more after an intensive workout (as your muscles will retain water) after a salty meal and when you're premenstrual (or just because since our bodies are complicated sacks of meat)

I know it's annoying to take water weight into consideration but always be mindful of it when you're weighing yourself and also take other measurements with a tape measure to get a better overall picture. Good luck x
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Weight is weight, I don't really care if it is water muscle or fat. I just focus on the number and to a larger extent the trend. I weigh daily at the same time and let the chips fall where they may.
  • stephanne13
    stephanne13 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Water weight makes me lose more than I expected some weeks, weigh more other weeks and stay the same for a couple of weeks in a row, because I don't have too much to lose (roughly 15 pounds) I have to look at the trends on a month by month basis, I weigh everyday but only really pay attention to what my average loss was at the end of a month. :) There is no way to control it, and it is totally natural, I wouldn't bother with the diuretics as you'll just put it back on once you stop taking them. Just drink enough water and be mindful that you'll probably weigh more after an intensive workout (as your muscles will retain water) after a salty meal and when you're premenstrual (or just because since our bodies are complicated sacks of meat)

I know it's annoying to take water weight into consideration but always be mindful of it when you're weighing yourself and also take other measurements with a tape measure to get a better overall picture. Good luck x

I also weigh a very day, and have just started tracking it this month.
    I was also this month prescribed the diuretic along with a low dose thyroid med as I've begun to have significant swelong on a regular basis in my ankles/feet. I hate it. I'll be 45 this year, but I'm not ready for ugly feet! Haha
  • stephanne13
    stephanne13 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    *the auto correct & addition /subtraction of words in this app is brutal sometimes.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    If you're losing actual body weight and not just water, the trend will go down over time. There's only so much water that you can lose
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If you are eating in a calorie deficit you will be losing fat. Also, this is correct:
    hesn92 wrote: »
    If you're losing actual body weight and not just water, the trend will go down over time. There's only so much water that you can lose