Calories vs Macros Starting Weight Loss

Options
Hello,

I'm back and bigger then ever! Short summary, started at 295 Lbs Nov 16, lost 43 pounds while deployed 3 months down to 252. I was home almost 3 months and gained 23 back(drinking and eating, enjoying life and being home with family and friends). Back on a 2 month rotation getting back at it. Started at 275 down to 267.5.

I'm a 6'3 male (fat as previously mentioned) trying to learn more about this macro thing I keep hearing about. Whats more critical starting the weight loss process at a calorie deficit or macros and a smaller deficit? Obviously a deficit is a deficit but I figure if you can function and maintain a good deficit it is probably better than a slim deficit and macros "balanced".

I've read macros help when you hit plateaus and can help progressing forward after being stagnant. Ive got time to learn as I'm just starting the diet change and initial weight loss process.

I'm really wanting to leave home at least at 252 for my brothers wedding ( 6 weeks to go, probably going to be close with a 2 pound a week goal)

So Macros versus deficit starting out? In my mind it's better to cut the water weight, get some of the fat coming off then as I progress closer towards my long term goal weight(less than 252 of course) have enough knowledge to dial in the macro ideas.

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Calories matter for weight loss.

Macros can matter for nutrition and for how you feel. Muscles need protein. Your body needs a certain amount of fat for healthy brain/other organ function, and fat helps in the absorption of certain vitamins/minerals.

Some people feel satiated/full by eating lower carb/higher fat. Personally I do best eating a combination of all 3. If I eat only carbs, I don't feel full for very long. But by eating a mix of carbs, fat and protein: a lesser amount of food lasts longer for me.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Focus on your calories right now. It is good to get sufficient protein and fat (160 and 80 grams, respectively are good minimums meaning eat that amount and then fill in the rest of your calories with carbs or more fat or more protein) but you don't need to obsess over them right now. Calories are what will lead your weight loss.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Deficit is the only thing that matters for weight loss.

That said, I don't know why you think that a smaller deficit is necessary when you're also mindful of macros. 0.8-1g protein per pound of lean mass, 0.35g of fat per pound of total weight, and the rest is whatever you want. That leaves you plenty of deficit.
  • barracudamuscle
    barracudamuscle Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Excellent advice, thank you for your help!

I guess what I was inferring was I feel that to "eat in my macros" Id be close/over my daily calorie deficit. However, not worrying about macros at this point and just getting a good deficit to start losing weight would be more beneficial in jump starting things until I get down a decent amount.

I've been eating some veggies, egg whites, and sometimes cheese for breakfast then for lunch/dinner(I eat twice a day) tuna salad or perhaps salmon and veggies if they are serving something healthy(overseas) and thats working out for me at the moment. Protein seems to keep me from being hungry all the time. I guess I'm on a modified IF system by just eating breakfast and lunch.I'd have to do the macro calculation to see where I'm at right now, but like what many of you and I know CICO and you need less to lose weight.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

I guess what I was inferring was I feel that to "eat in my macros" Id be close/over my daily calorie deficit. However, not worrying about macros at this point and just getting a good deficit to start losing weight would be more beneficial in jump starting things until I get down a decent amount.

I've been eating some veggies, egg whites, and sometimes cheese for breakfast then for lunch/dinner(I eat twice a day) tuna salad or perhaps salmon and veggies if they are serving something healthy(overseas) and thats working out for me at the moment. Protein seems to keep me from being hungry all the time. I guess I'm on a modified IF system by just eating breakfast and lunch.I'd have to do the macro calculation to see where I'm at right now, but like what many of you and I know CICO and you need less to lose weight.

If you told MFP you want to lose weight you should eat AT your goal. The deficit (before exercise) is included in that number. Don't worry about eating a little over or eating a little under....it all averages out.

You don't want too low calories day in and day out. It is faster weight loss, but larger deficits make it hard for your body to support existing lean muscle mass. Fast weight loss isn't healthy weight loss because it doesn't lower body fat % by as much as moderate paced loss does (obese people excluded).
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

No, you'd be within your calorie budget. Protein and carbs are both four calories per gram. Fat is 9 calories per gram. You can calculate out how many calories you protein and fat goals total and then see how many calories you have left to play with for carbs or more protein/fat. Your calorie goal should be plenty high enough to meet those macros if you decide to do so.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    Well, macros and calories should balance at the end of the day if you are using accurate food entries.

Calories for weight loss. Then study your food diary at the end of the day and see where you were lacking. Sounds like you have a good system going, two larger meals, lots of lean protein and vegetables. A serving or two of fats.

Hit your Goal, don't try to eat under your goal. The word "goal" means it is what you try to reach. Protein and fats are minimum goals, so hit those or exceed them every day. Carbs will fall where they will.