Antibiotics causing wieght gain ?

Options
So I have been on a 10 day course of antibiotics and during this time I have actually gained back a couple pounds after steadily loosing about a 1 pound or 2 week. The only diffrence being the antibiotics, is this normal ?

Replies

• annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Could be water retention from the drugs or your illness. Keep on keeping on.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Hmm antibiotics always cause diarrhea for me and therefore "weight" loss (it comes back after I'm done the course). I agree that whatever the results, they're likely temporary.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Antibiotics work by killing the bad as well as good bacteria.

When your bowel is functioning well it is kind of like a compost pile. Everything works in synergy from "input to process to output".

When those good bacteria die, either from antibiotics or a virus or high fever things grind to a halt. In addition to constipation if the bowel in not moving correctly in rhythm water retention can result.

Likely you will have to "repopulate" the good guys and give them something to eat so that they can go forth and multiply and do good.

Here are some things that work pretty well:

Lacto - Fermented foods - Try to eat something with every meal
    • unpasteurized Miso paste (make up a salad dressing with it)
    • kimchi vegetables (add some to your dinner plate)
    • sauerkraut (snack on it)).

Probiotics -
    • Global Health Trax Three Lac, Five Lac (powder that is portable and shelf stable);
    • Probiotic Acidophilus from American Health (need to be refrigerated, but it's very good);
    • Some locally made yogurts (at Farmer's Markets) have more culture in them than ones at the store. You also can make your own.
    • I have also had some success with Enzymedica - Digest Basic + Probiotics, Essential Digestive Enzymes with Probiotics, to help me repopulate the bowel flora

Pre-fibers
    NutriSource Fiber Dietary Fiber Nutritional Supplements, Unflavored
    BodyBio - Sodium Butyrate, Short Chain Fatty Acid (smells like stinky cheese but works great)

Add some rice bran fiber and some psyllium seed powder to the mix to give your probiotics a growth medium and you'll be right as rain in a week or two and your weight will again be going in the direction your want.

Also, check out Sandor Katz's book, Wild Fermentation for more information on fermented foods and their key to our good health.

Finally, one of the side effects to melatonin is increased bowel motility, less spasms and a complete "evacuation". (I found this out accidentally when taking a therapeutic amount suggested by my doctor to help with sleep.) Not really helping with sleep but for the first time in months my stomach no longer hurts and I am not having bowel spasms with zero to show for it.

I get the powder from bulk supplements and I take 1/32 teasp.

Ref: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3949259/
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/van-winkles/the-dark-side-of-melatoni_b_8855998.html