Yoga advice

Options
I have upped my exercise, and have walked almost 15 miles so far since Sunday. Which is huge for me.
I'm considering starting yoga, and was thinking maybe once a week at the beginning.
Would this be ok? Or should I do it more than once a week?
I'm very obese. Can anyone suggest a yoga DVD or YouTube or whatever for beginners and for an obese person?

Thank you

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Yoga is wonderful exercise. Add it as many days as you like. Do the first day, and then see how you feel.

I know of DVDs for yoga with larger people....not sure on YouTube videos. Check your local library for:

Expanding into Fullness, Yoga for Large Women with Sally Pugh
    HeavyWeight Yoga: Yoga for the Body You Have Today
    Mega Yoga or Just My Size Yoga with Megan Garcia

On YouTube Yoga by Adriene gets really good reviews....she has beginner workouts.
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Hi Jennifer! Great job on the walking, keep it up! For yoga, if you want to try a full 60-minute class, once a week should be fine. I often do just 5-10 minutes of yoga stretches in the morning and I feel better for it all day. If there is a yoga studio near you, sometimes they have "introduction to yoga" classes that may be helpful so you have someone showing you in-person what to do. Don't be afraid to go - yogis are very accepting of everyone. There are lots of YouTube videos, it's really about finding one with an instructor you like, so take a look and try a few! Good luck, you can do this!
  • jenniferlouisewilkinson5971
    Options
    Thank you both. You've been very helpful x
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I personally like kundalini yoga. It is not for everyone (there is often chanting involved, but you can also skip those parts if it's not your thing), but many of the exercise segments can be done seated. I still get a good stretch as well as some gentle movement (it is great at waking me up in the morning) and I feel that is is great for people just getting started since you don't have to start testing your balance first thing and you don't have to put much weight on your knees right away.

My favorite instructors are Ana Brett and Ravi Singh (they are a husband/wife duo, they don't have separate videos). Some good ones to try at first:

Yoga for Beginners and Beyond (just the warm-up and spinal series, save the Five Tibetans for later when you are more advanced)

Dance the Chakras (the two yoga sets are pretty gentle, you can do the freeform dance parts if you want but they're not required)

Yoga Quick Fixes (lots of short segments to try out)
  • eok902
    eok902 Posts: 56 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I know it's not always possible but if you can get to a class, at least to start, you'll have a teacher making sure you are doing the poses correctly. As everyone has said, there are some great yoga classes online too. I like Yoga with Adriene on YouTube. She has tons of videos and even very short 7-minute classes if you just fancy a little relaxation. There is a well known larger yoga teacher called Jessamyn Stanley who is an advocate for yoga for all, so it's worth seeing if she has classes online too.

Yoga is for every body and is inherently inclusive but the prevalence of marketing that shows young slim western women doing yoga has made it seem like yoga is only for a certain body type. In reality yoga teachers are (in my experience) incredibly welcoming and accepting. I'm not flexible by any means but I love yoga and have definitely improved, both in the physical and mental aspects since taking it up.

Enjoy it and good luck!
  • jenniferlouisewilkinson5971
    Options
    So many to try out, Thank you all. Exciting times!! xx
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    eok902 wrote: »
    I know it's not always possible but if you can get to a class, at least to start, you'll have a teacher making sure you are doing the poses correctly. ...

^ This. I don't really enjoy yoga on my own. There's something about the group experience (I'm an introvert, so it's nice to be able to be a little social without having to really interact too much with others. I'm just there among them - usually off to the side - and we're all doing the same thing.) It helps to have the teacher there, moving around, checking everyone's form. I occasionally need correction and appreciate that someone is there to catch me if I'm not doing something right. It's good to know I'm actually achieving the poses and not just guessing at it all by myself.

There are all kinds of people in class at various fitness levels, ages, and needing various kinds of assistance, and it has never seemed like a scary, judgmental place to me. The vibe is positive and friendly. The instructor usually modifies poses if there are people with injuries or disabilities, so that's cool, too. It might feel awkward at first because you don't know what you're doing, but you'll catch on quickly. I've had a few different instructors and they've all been very welcoming and compassionate people. I'm sure there's a monstrous one out there, but I haven't met a mean one yet. :)
  • hjg0989
    hjg0989 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I agree on finding a class, Jennifer. The people who teach and take yoga are typically very supportive and it's a great way to meet people and feel connected while doing something that is really good for your body. Best of luck to you!
  • mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I do it once a week since it's a day on p90x. Hate it alot but the body does feel good after. Pretty hard as well

My aunt and cousins do hot yoga and seem to really enjoy it
  • mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Get yoga blocks as well, will help until you can ditch them.
  • edonald90
    edonald90 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have found great yoga videos on YouTube just by searching. I also have a DVD that's just called Yoga for beginners that I like. I second the thing about going to a class. I was really intimidated but the instructor was awesome. She gave modifications to some of the poses and I wasn't the only one who did them. I have never felt so relaxed and at peace that I did actually going to the yoga class.
  • debodom1962
    debodom1962 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Look up DDP Yoga. It is truly amazing.
  • MazzyToday
    MazzyToday Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone, who does all the Walk Away the Pounds stuff, has yoga DVDs. Libraries tend to have these 'cause her DVDs work for everybody who isn't hardcore yet. She does slow basics and suggests modifications if you aren't quite with her.

Her Walk Away the Pounds 1, 2, and 3 mile DVDs are really worth owning if you're not a runner yet. It is basically walking but you change up between marching, kicking, and sidestepping. You can choose to half-*kitten* it if you are tired or crush it if you have energy. Tired? She tells you not to worry about doing certain parts.

She is super positive, so you don't want her dead or anything (not till around the 128th time you hear the same lame quip.)

These will serve you well even when you move on because you could do a quick 20 minutes of cardio on a rainy, busy day.

I have not done her yoga ones, but the pilates one had a segment to show you what each move is, then have you try it, all before the workout. From then on, you can skip that how-to part. The yoga ones may be similar.

If none of this sounds good, Google "body positive"with the type of exercise you want to do and be amazed! ☺️
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My teacher does a combination of Tai Chi and Yoga. He is very good with beginners and he is a stickler for getting the pose just right. That will keep you from injury. Do the pose half speed if need be. Slow is just as hard to hold as fast so you still get your workout.

Look for poses that strengthen your core. You will thank me later.

Thanks to my yoga training I now habitually stretch like a cat when awakening and consciously stand up straight while walking.
  • Amys712
    Amys712 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    hjg0989 wrote: »
    I agree on finding a class, Jennifer. The people who teach and take yoga are typically very supportive and it's a great way to meet people and feel connected while doing something that is really good for your body. Best of luck to you!

I just want to echo the class suggestion. I am way more motivated to give my all in my workouts when I get out of my own house and am around other people. Plus, like others have mentioned, the instructors and fellow participants are generally supportive and can be a great support system. Try a couple to find one you like. Every instructor is a little different. Some are more geared toward relaxation, others toward strength training, etcetera.
  • kyunda
    kyunda Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    You should look at Cody- it's a app and website for different work outs. There are a couple of plus size yoga teachers on there. Look for Jessamyn. She is awesome!!! She also just wrote a book.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Also check if your community college offers yoga classes! A non intimidating way to check it out.

I found that yoga helps with both flexibility and functional strength!
  • ashjongfit
    ashjongfit Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Jessamyn or Nolatrees (sp?) on cody app! Jess has a book as well! They both have yoga for total beginners, Nolas has one with only down dog as a wrist baring move as well!
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I would really recommend a studio class for someone just starting out. The poses have such slight nuances that make all the difference. Learning incorrect form can at best mean you don't get what you're looking for and be hard to unlearn later and at worst can get you injured.

And I don't mean a gym with a huge group yoga class, but a studio with more individualized instruction. I'm an advanced practitioner and really benefit from in class corrections.

Check groupon and see if there are any local deals to be had.