Want to gain muscle tone but scared to eat more. Can I lift & get results eating at maintenance?

Options
I'm about 125lbs, 5'6", 32 year old female and I'm trying to get in better shape. I thought I needed to lose weight in order to lose my pouchy mom belly but as I've dropped a few lbs I'm worried that's not going to get me what I want (the boobs started to go away and who wants that?!). Now I'm thinking I need to build some muscle to hold my belly in and stop the arms from jiggling. Do I need to eat above maintenance in order to get benefits from lifting weights? Can I gain muscle if I have a slight deficit but get enough protein? I'm afraid if I increase my calories that it's going to go straight to the belly that I"m trying to get rid of.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yep, recomp
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    You can eat at maintenance and lift progressively. It's called a recomp. You can try to lose a little fat while you build or at least maintain muscle. Have you picked a program? I like stronglifts 5x5 because it's pretty simple and easy to follow.
  • abbynormalartist
    abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Thanks @dancingmoosie! I was just going to ask for suggestions on lifting. I don't go to a gym because I have a full time job and two kids under 5. I have a few weights, barbells, rings and a punching bag at home so I work out after the kids sleep. So far I've just bounced around doing whatever I can think of for about 30 minutes every other day.
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    Maybe look up "convict conditioning" or "you are your own gym". Also, I had very good results with 30 day shred, ripped in 30, Denise Austin's 3 week boot camp, and The Firm's 500 calorie workout (all DVDs).
  • abbynormalartist
    abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Do I continue to eat at maintenance on days I don't lift?
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    Yes, maintenance means you just maintain, not gain or lose.
  • beanz744
    beanz744 Posts: 221 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    1. do the above said
    2. make sure u intake .8 to 1g of protein of ur LBM to growth muscle mass because u will get some beginners gain if u do pregressive overloading (keeping lifting heavier until u like what u see in the mirror)
    3. adjust caloric intake up or down according to how ur body is progressing

GOOD LUCK!