How many calories in muffin?

Options
How many calories would you estimate is in a 128 gram apple muffin? It was mostly muffin, with about a tablespoon of apple/streusel on the bottom. And it was gluten free from a local bakery, so maybe 10% more than a gluten muffin?

350? 500? More? What would you estimate?

Replies

• fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Use the food database search here on the site. That's what it's for.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Of course I used the food database already. I found entries for everything from 130 calories to 800 calories. I was just asking for opinions. Sorry to inconvenience you.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I looked at the database. Very few of the apple muffin entries have a weight. Starbucks was one that does, 121g for 350 cals. So I'd suggest using at least 350-400. A bakery muffin will be high. Muffins are very calorie dense, but tasty!
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Back when I did Weight Watchers, they told me that every ounce (28 grams roughly) of muffin was equal to 100 calories as a rule of thumb. Obviously, if you're making your own and you have the recipe on-hand, plug your ingredients into the recipe tracker and go with that. But 100 cal/oz is a decent guesstimate.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your input lorrpb and estherdragon. The tip about every ounce equaling somewhere around 100 calories was especially helpful. I went with 500.