Chobani vs. Other Greek Yogurts?

Options
Hello!

So I used to eat a lot of Chobani and then started hearing that it wasn't actually that great of a healthy food. I've switched to Dannon Greek which has less sugar and calories but the taste is definitely inferior to Chobani. However the sugar did worry me a bit.... so two questions:

1. Does Chobani have *added* sugar or does all the sugar come from the fruit/naturally? I tried googling this and couldn't find a straight forward answer.

2. I know just about every yogurt brand is coming out with a Greek and was wondering what you thought was the best/most healthy?

Thank you!

Replies

• RobTheGourmet
    RobTheGourmet Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Fage is a real strained yogurt or you can make it your self even better!

but chobani and dannon etc are US made strained yogurts and not anywhere near as good as Fage
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Second on Fage. It's awesome.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Fage /end discussion

haha seriously though, it is the best
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Nope. I'll take the extra sugar. I really like my Chobani. XD
  • Fage 0% greek yoghurt, best stuff you can get. Health wise, plus it tastes better than a lot. It's quite sour (for my sweet tooth anyway), but a few drops of stevia or some chopped fruit easily sorts that
  • 123Scoots
    123Scoots Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Fage is my favorite. It is thick, creamy, and luxurious. I only eat the plain varieties, so I can't speak to the quality of any of the flavored lot. It is the least tart and has the most desirable texture compared to Dannon, Chobani, or even Stonyfield. Stonyfield is my second favorite.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    it's somewhat like arguing over what peanut butter is the "best" and most "healthy".

There's so little difference in what your asking that actually matters that it really doesn't matter, it's more of what you like the best.
  • Lauraplane
    Lauraplane Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I used to eat Chobani but decided that I really didn't like the sort of sour tast (some flavors taste like throw up), I also didn't like the sugar content. I now do the yoplait greek yogurt. They have less sugar and taste so good. I like some of the Fage flavors too.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    The fage cups with the fruit or honey are simply amazing!!!!!!
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Chobani non-fat PLAIN:
    8oz/227g
    140 Calories
    Servings per container: 2
    Ingredients:
    Cultured Pasteurized Nonfat Milk, Live And Active Cultures: S. Thermophilus, L. Bulgaricus, L. Acidophilus, Bifidus And L. Casei.

Chobani BLUEBERRY:
    8oz/227g
    185 calories
    Servings per container: 2
    Ingredients:
    Nonfat Yogurt (cultured Pasteurized Nonfat Milk, Live And Active Cultures: S. Thermophilus, L. Bulgaricus, L. Acidophilus, Bifidus And L. Casei), Blueberries, Evaporated Cane Juice, Pectin, Locust Bean Gum, Natural Flavors.

*Evaporated Cane Juice AKA added sugar.

Those 'fruit on the bottom' yogurts have added sugar along with the fruit most times. The sugar you see listed for the plain yogurt is just lactose already made of dairy.

I eat Dannon plain greek and think it tastes fine, but I add fruit to mine sometimes or a little bit of protein powder.
  • SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    *Evaporated Cane Juice AKA added sugar.

Those 'fruit on the bottom' yogurts have added sugar along with the fruit most times. The sugar you see listed for the plain yogurt is just lactose already made of dairy.

I eat Dannon plain greek and think it tastes fine, but I add fruit to mine sometimes or a little bit of protein powder.

But it's sugar from juice
  • Chellody22
    Chellody22 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Nope. I'll take the extra sugar. I really like my Chobani. XD

Same, I'm hooked on the Chobani Almond Coco Loco Flips.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    I used to eat Chobani but decided that I really didn't like the sort of sour tast (some flavors taste like throw up), I also didn't like the sugar content. I now do the yoplait greek yogurt. They have less sugar and taste so good. I like some of the Fage flavors too.

yoplait uses artificial sweeteners which some people poopoo.

Again, not enough "real" difference to really matter (arguing with people who would argue that the sweeteners matter with this statement).
  • ngressman
    ngressman Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I like Chobani. Evaporated cane juice is the only sweetener that doesn't come from the fruit. The cane juice has the same amount of calories as white sugar, but is less processed and has some vitamins and minerals in it. Chobani has a website and facebook page where they will answer any questions you have.
  • wamydia
    wamydia Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I love the Fage. I think it has the best taste. I think the 2% is nutritionally pretty good, but I don't really spend a lot of time obssessing over comparing stuff like this. I eat what I like and fit it into my day if I want it badly enough.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Yes... Chobani has added sugar beyond the natural sugars from the dairy and fruit.

According to the FAQ on their site
    Does Chobani contain any artificial sweeteners?
    No. We use wholesome milk and real fruit to craft our Chobani Greek Yogurt products. The sugars found in our products come from milk (lactose), real fruit (fructose), honey and evaporated cane juice (which is less processed than white table sugar and is used to sweeten the fruit, vanilla and chocolate chunk preps used in our authentic strained Greek yogurt products).

When you say you're eating Dannon Greek, is that Dannon Oikos or Dannon Light & Fit Greek? Light & Fit Greek is artificially sweetened. Oikos is sweetened with sugar or sugar alternatives.

Fage's fruit yogurts are also sweetened with cane juice/cane sugar, and while some people prefer their taste - Fage really isn't that different from Chobani.

If you want to avoid added sugar, buy plain yogurt and add your own fruit. It's a lot less sweet and will take some getting used to, but it's an option. (or you can continue to eat artificially sweetened varieties)
  • SergeantG
    SergeantG Posts: 92
    Options
    The fage cups with the fruit or honey are simply amazing!!!!!!

AAAAAMMMMEN!!!!

Its damned near better than ice cream (almost :smile: )
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    From Chobani's own web site:

"Does Chobani contain any artificial sweeteners?

"No. We use wholesome milk and real fruit to craft our Chobani Greek Yogurt products. The sugars found in our products come from milk (lactose), real fruit (fructose), honey and evaporated cane juice (which is less processed than white table sugar and is used to sweeten the fruit, vanilla and chocolate chunk preps used in our authentic strained Greek yogurt products)."

So, in addition to the fruit, they do add two forms of sugar to their flavored yogurts: honey and evaporated cane juice. In addition, there are things like guar gum, etc.

Greek yogurt is just plain yogurt that has been drained. Look for plain yogurt with only two ingredients: milk and cultures. Drain in a screen sieve, and you have Greek yogurt AND whey for your smoothies. For less than 2/3 the price of Fage, I drain the plain grocery-store brand for the same amount of yogurt and "free" whey.
  • sandmshell
    Options
    I have not tried Fage, my fave is Chobani pear- its the only flavor I find I like. Its the first brand of Greek yogurt that I can stand eating. Was just reading about a yogurt from Finland that has 18g of protein and less calories began with an "S", will be interesting to see if thats the new yogurt craze soon.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that chobani and fage are pretty much the only two 'real' greek yogurts out there. I tend to buy plain fage but when I'm feeling lazy I get the chobani cups that have fruit with them. Yeah it's extra carbs but adding my fruit adds carbs too anyway...