Social media sites

Options
13»

Replies

• BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    I'm one of those people who say if you're kinda self-centered about life's tiny aggravations and are glad to be entirely antisocial as regards your own family. the majority of whom make announcements, plans, get-togethers, etc. via Facebook, have at it, hoss, and by the way, I AM gettin' off yer lawn, relax already.

I'm glad you're happi(er), though! That's a good thing.

My natural response to those who complain about Facebook is suggesting they deactivate, or at least take an long break from it.

There are people who use Facebook (knowing or unknowing) as a tool for their own destruction, or it's a source of repetitious or prolonged stress, anxiety, frustration, or noise and distraction. My suggestion is for those people to at least entertain unplugging for awhile.

Some might discover life without Facebook to be more peaceful, or even liberating.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    BDonjon wrote: »
    I'm one of those people who say if you're kinda self-centered about life's tiny aggravations and are glad to be entirely antisocial as regards your own family. the majority of whom make announcements, plans, get-togethers, etc. via Facebook, have at it, hoss, and by the way, I AM gettin' off yer lawn, relax already.

I'm glad you're happi(er), though! That's a good thing.

My natural response to those who complain about Facebook is suggesting they deactivate, or at least take an long break from it.

There are people who use Facebook (knowing or unknowing) as a tool for their own destruction, or it's a source of repetitious or prolonged stress, anxiety, frustration, or noise and distraction. My suggestion is for those people to at least entertain unplugging for awhile.

Some might discover life without Facebook to be more peaceful, or even liberating.

Yeah, they might. Sure.

I just don't think it is really this giant, dramatic a thing for most people...that they would feel liberated from not having FB and are just waiting for someone to give permission...a little grousing here and there doesn't mean people are agonizing in the paralysis of FB's grip. :D People do complain on occasion, that doesn't necessarily indicate some crisis.

The only people I know who take FB THIS seriously, like they are chained to it or something, are extremely young.
  • AyyAnthony
    AyyAnthony Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I don't use them because I don't have neither
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    FB bugs me and I don't keep up with it enough but I'm on it because my closest family members are, and half the time they no longer call or email, they "post it all on FB" and I'm expected to look there.

FB is so dumb to me. The rarer times I post, people answer IMMEDIATELY, how the hell does anybody keep up with a wall of constant posts going up? Same with Twitter. OMG. I just don't know.

I check mine every few hours. Sometimes I'm bored and have more time and I'll check it more often. I get notifications when my close friends/family members post something though.. so it will be the first thing I see. If I'm away or anything, it's pretty much the only stuff I look at. It takes me maybe 5 minutes to go down my wall though, because I really only keep the friends I actually like there (and I've ignored a few friend requests because I knew their posts would annoy me). But it's pretty much the only way I keep touch with old friends that I haven't seen in years due to distance.

I don't keep up with Twitter, that's the thing I check when I'm really bored (or typically, I'm looking for a specific account's posts).
  • LAWoman72
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    FB bugs me and I don't keep up with it enough but I'm on it because my closest family members are, and half the time they no longer call or email, they "post it all on FB" and I'm expected to look there.

FB is so dumb to me. The rarer times I post, people answer IMMEDIATELY, how the hell does anybody keep up with a wall of constant posts going up? Same with Twitter. OMG. I just don't know.

I check mine every few hours. Sometimes I'm bored and have more time and I'll check it more often. I get notifications when my close friends/family members post something though.. so it will be the first thing I see. If I'm away or anything, it's pretty much the only stuff I look at. It takes me maybe 5 minutes to go down my wall though, because I really only keep the friends I actually like there (and I've ignored a few friend requests because I knew their posts would annoy me). But it's pretty much the only way I keep touch with old friends that I haven't seen in years due to distance.

I don't keep up with Twitter, that's the thing I check when I'm really bored (or typically, I'm looking for a specific account's posts).

Okay. So it's not like an alert comes up or anything like that? Because I'm talking about people answering literally within two or three minutes...I'll get Likes immediately...unless it's a coincidence. It can't be my volume of Friends as I keep that way down...the only people on my FB are people I legitimately know, love and either do hang out with or would if I still lived locally to them.
  • iamunicoon
    iamunicoon Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I have Twitter but only use it to follow some famous people and political accounts. On FB, I only really ever read and post stuff in groups. I never used it much to begin with but then they messed with the timeline so much that I can't be sure I'm really seeing everything I might wanna see anymore, so what's the point? With that said, I do like the general idea of having one place to keep each other updated. Like, I have friends who have moved half across the world and I get that it must be very time consuming for them to keep family and friends updated on their new life, so posting an update on a social media site is really convenient. It's not the platform's fault if people end up not using it for useful stuff after all.

The only social media I use regularly is Tumblr. I'm on there all the time, even use the messaging system instead of Whatsapp with some of my friends.

BDonjon wrote: »
    I'm one of those people who say "If Facebook frustrates you that much, you should deactivate your account." Then, of course, people make excuses, and roll their eyes, and don't take me seriously.

All I know is that I'm happier without it.

Exactly. Not just FB. With me, it's worst with Tumblr. People complain about it forever but are still on there. I mean, a lot of social media can be annoying but when it starts giving you grief, it's time to move on.

Plus, usually what people mean isn't "I hate *insert social media site here*" but "I can't deal with people talking about things I don't like or disagree with" and that doesn't really change no matter which site they sign up for.
    Okay. So it's not like an alert comes up or anything like that? Because I'm talking about people answering literally within two or three minutes...I'll get Likes immediately...unless it's a coincidence. It can't be my volume of Friends as I keep that way down...the only people on my FB are people I legitimately know, love and either do hang out with or would if I still lived locally to them.

I haven't used FB much lately and *maybe* I'm mixing it up with another site but I think it is possible to favorite people and / or custom groups so you get notified as soon as they post. I think it also sends a push notification to your phone if you loaded the app, so that may be why they're so quick.
  • LAWoman72
    Options
    I have MySpace

And you have it all to yourself. :dizzy:

It really IS yourspace.
  • browneyedgirl749
    browneyedgirl749 Posts: 4,984 Member
    Options
    I have Facebook that I rarely post on. My Facebook friends consists of people I actually know, friends, family, etc. As a Navy brat I literally have friends all over the world. Facebook allowed me to reconnect with them.

I have Twitter, rarely use it, although I would like to tweet more, just stupid stuff.

I have IG for all sorts of pics. Some fitness/healthy, some of my cat, some of my mess of a house.

Snapchat I have for friends. That song that brings back memories comes on the radio and I snap it to the appropriate friend.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I have a Twitter account, but I don't really "get it" so don't really use it. I have a lot of friends and family that are scattered all of the country and abroad and use FB to keep up with the goings on in their lives...see pics of their kids, etc. I pretty much ignore the random articles and whatnot and I don't have any random internet FB friends...they're all real friends and family.

I also like Life of Dad and belong to a camping social media community. I use Instagram a lot to post pictures of stuff we're doing and my crazy kids.
  • LucasLean
    LucasLean Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I deleted Facebook a couple years ago. I have a twitter but get on there maybe 3 times a year. I have MySpace though. Hah
  • ShellyPru84
    ShellyPru84 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I used to have Facebook but deleted it a couple of years ago. I have nothing now but MFP and Pinterest.
  • Ben_there_done_that
    Ben_there_done_that Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I read on the news today that some people on Twitter were expressing their displeasure about something. Jk, obviously, but that's one reason I've been avoiding getting on there. Just seems like a bunch of whiners.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

You can put some people in a category that will give you notifications when they post.
  • LAWoman72
    edited May 2017
    Options

You can put some people in a category that will give you notifications when they post.

Oh, I see.

I must be on a few people's most wanted list! At least somebody wants me! :blush:

I don't do Twitter but I do read some Twitter, such as Tweet of God and Very Lonely Luke...oh, and Emo Kylo Ren. I just can't see tweeting to a bunch of strangers that I just ate a lunch that was SO YUM or that DAMMIT, childproof caps shouldn't be adult-proof too #WTF or WHAT DO U THINK OF MY BRALET or whatever. As for Facebook, I will post actual events, LOL. Like graduation and so on.

I have only actual flesh-and-blood Friends I've really met, on Facebook. (My husband has like 500+ Friends...but he does have a crossover because of work and associations from there. Who the hell can keep up with 500 of anything, much less human beings...he manages it, though...)
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    captbklee wrote: »
    I read on the news today that some people on Twitter were expressing their displeasure about something. Jk, obviously, but that's one reason I've been avoiding getting on there. Just seems like a bunch of whiners.

Agreed. Twitter today is one big 'covfefe'.
  • J_NY_Z
    J_NY_Z Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I stopped using Facebook last month. I found it to be a gigantic waste of time, just mindless scrolling.

I only have Twitter so that I can *kitten* at politicians.

This site is by far my default social network.