Biking/cycling what type of bike?

Options
I want to get into riding a bike/cycling outside. I have ridden a bike before but honestly it's been awhile​ and I never was super into it. The bike that I have used is my Mom's old bike that she got back from one of her friends in the eighties and I am pretty sure it was pretty old then too. Anyways my question is I want to get a bicycle but I don't have a ton of money to spend. I am 5'5 and I weigh quite a bit 347lbs. The good news ​is that I have lost 12lbs already pretty quickly and that was with out much exercise. I am wondering since I am so heavy do I need a special bike? I have ridden the one I have at this weight so I wasn't sure. I am looking for something kinda versatile. There's some nice paved bike trails near me so my plan is to start there. I live in Iowa so my dream is to do RAGBRAI possibly next year? So a bike that could potentially work for that would be nice. I am also on a bit of a budget. I want to get a good bike so I know I will have to spend a little money, but I am going to be a student again in the fall so I need to be smart with my purchases. Any other tips for a new rider would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Check out workmancycles.com. They have bikes designed for heavier riders.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,192 Member
    Options
    In your case, I think I'd recommend a hybrid. It should be reasonably solid and yet versatile, and could potentially work for something like RAGBRAI.

Go to several shops in your area and ask them to tell you about the hybrids they have on offer and see what they say.

A couple things to keep in mind ... get a bicycle that fits you properly. Ask the bicycle shop about fitting you. If they kind of pass off your questions regarding fit, go to another shop.

Also, ask questions about gearing. You probably want something middle of the road with gearing ... not low end and you probably don't need high end gearing since you're on a budget.
  • JR188
    JR188 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I agree with Machka9. Try a hybrid / fitness bike. The more upright seating position will be easier on your arms & back. I would also advise against store brand bike like those at Walmart or Target. The quality just isn't there despite their attractive price. A bike shop can help with proper fit which is key. If cycling becomes a passion (which it does for a lot of us) and you want to upgrade to a more traditional drop bar road bike, or cyclocross bike you will already have a relationship with the shop. Another choice is looking at online bike stores. Pro's are great prices & selection. Con's are fit, assembly & warranty work if you are not comfortable with DIY. Best of luck, I think you will love riding!
  • sporangia
    sporangia Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi there, this is a great question. No, you don't need a special bike, however, you do need to buy a bike appropriate for your weight (everyone needs to do this). This is especially because of weight ratings for the wheels, frame, and for braking.

I suggest that you visit several bike stores and ask for assistance. You should ride several bikes before deciding and the people in the local bike store should be able to help you out. Keep in mind, you want to get as good a bike as possible at the beginning, rather than having an attitude like "Oh... I can just upgrade the components later" because it's a fraction of the cost to buy components when they are part of a new bike, as opposed to buying them as add-ons later on (ie. don't buy a low-end bike with a plan to upgrade the gears, wheels, etc.). You'll get the best bang for your buck by making sure the new bike has all the components you want.

It is really important that if you want to buy a bike now that you can use for RAGBRAI that you take your time deciding. I also highly recommend investing up to $100 in a new seat. Often, new bikes come with cheap seats because they expect the user to change it. I highly suggest a Brooks leather saddle made for women. Also, break in your seat before RAGBRAI with at least 100 miles of riding before taking it on the journey.

Seat comfort is counterintuitive - many people thing a gel seat is best because it will be soft. For long rides, however, regardless of the seat, you may develop pressure points. With a soft seat, it's going to be hard to shift your weight to get off the pressure points, whereas with a firm seat you can easily shift to a new, non-pressure point position.

In general, a road bike will be the most expensive bike. That's largely because they try to give you components that are as light as possible. Mountain bikes, well, I am partial to them because of the agility and comfort. There are also hybrid bike out there, which will give you a slightly faster bike for paved roads, with the same comfort as a mountain bike. I suggest you ride one of each when you visit bike stores. Do not consider bikes from Walmart or other discount stores. The internal metal parts are typically a low quality and will not last.

FYI about visiting bike stores - if you visit a bike store and don't think the people are helpful, just walk right out and go to a different store. I've found that some bike stores cater to a certain type of person, or they just don't have good customer service skills. There ARE some great and friendly bike stores out there, so just keep trying. It's worth visiting several stores too because they each carry different brands.

You might consider joining a bicycling club - this looks like a neat one, although a little far: http://www.dmcycleclub.com/pedal-off-the-pounds/

I also found this website about buying a bike helpful: http://www.borntoreignathletics.com/8-bike-facts-you-need-to-know-for-choosing-a-plus-size-friendly-bike/

Let me know if you have additional questions. I've ridden all of RAGBRAI in the past and have had several bikes over the year.
  • sporangia
    sporangia Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    JR188 wrote: »
    Another choice is looking at online bike stores. Pro's are great prices & selection. Con's are fit, assembly & warranty work if you are not comfortable with DIY. Best of luck, I think you will love riding!

I would strongly urge against online bike stores. You will most likely get a bike that is not well fit to your dimensions. A better way to save $$ is to buy last year's model from a local bike store.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,192 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with online bike stores ... if you know what you're looking for. I rarely buy "off the rack" bicycles, but I grew up in a cycling family, I've been cycling for 44 years (and "seriously" for 27 years) and I've got a really good idea what I want in a bicycle.

For a new cyclist, however, it is good to go to brick and mortar shops, and ask questions, and try bicycles, and get a feel for what you want.

If you can, see if you can even borrow a bicycle to go along on a short, easy beginners club ride or similar and as you're riding think about what you like and dislike about the bicycle.
  • LisaTcan
    LisaTcan Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    All the tips on choosing the bike are great! Just wanted to say koodos to you for getting started cycling. It can be a bit intimidating at first but it really is an amazing activity. Stick to side streets or bike paths until you feel comfortable and be aware that your butt/crotch might hurt until you get used to it.
  • mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Check your local ads. Can find some killer deals on a few year old bikes and get a better bang for your buck then going with a mid or low end bike.

Even though it's kind of a crap move, you can try a few bikes at the local shops until you get the idea on the size you need then hit the used market. Though if you won't do your own work it might wash out as the shop will charge extra for the work compared to if you bought from them. But bikes are so easy to work on you might as well go for it.

Can't help with the bike, i only mountain bike. Giant brand has good prices on decent bikes. The comparable trek or connondale was $500 more then mine with worse components. Added $300 in upgrades and have alot better components and fork for still less money.
  • ronocnikral
    ronocnikral Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I did my first ragbrais, 22, 23 and 24, on a Schwinn crisscross with butterfly handle bars. I was 11, 12 and 13 years old. I would buy used or online. The last three bikes I've purchased I've done without ever stepping in a bike store, and my wallet is better off for it. Before that, I still rode the Schwinn le tour my father bought me at age 14.
  • dubble818
    dubble818 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have a Trek DS 8.4 and it's perfect for my needs. If you want something for commuting and the odd trail ride it's good to go.
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    If you are around the Des Moines area a good friend of mine who cycles recommends Kyles bikes in Ankeny, Freds bike shop on ingersoll, bikeworld, and Rasmussen.
  • joecool0510
    joecool0510 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I would go to a bike shop that does rentals and see if they sell old rental bikes. I know a shop near me that rents out 'hybrid' bikes (cross between a mountain and a street bike) and at the end or beginning of the year they often have some for sale. I would also get them to put fenders on it for you, so you can ride in the rain and mud without getting a stripe up your back!!

Keep going!!

--Joe

"Rome wasn't built in a day, but you can bet they were laying bricks every hour!!"
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    dubble818 wrote: »
    I have a Trek DS 8.4 and it's perfect for my needs. If you want something for commuting and the odd trail ride it's good to go.
    I ride a DS 8.3. It's been very good to me. Wish I could have gone up to the 8.4 for the hardware upgrades, but was pushing my budget at the time.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i second the hybrid idea (though maybe shouldn't as idk what ragbrai is). i still really like the coda from jamis, if you need brands and names. it's a good entry level hybrid as far as the price, and i mostly commute with it. but it has a lot of gears and a nice nimble frame that's made me trust it even on less-straightforward terrain.

and this. so much this. don't give up and don't settle for something you're not sure about, just because you feel out of your depth.
    sporangia wrote: »
    FYI about visiting bike stores - if you visit a bike store and don't think the people are helpful, just walk right out and go to a different store.

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    edonald90 wrote: »
    I am wondering since I am so heavy do I need a special bike?

Look at weight ratings for the bike and components. Your weight does restrict your range, and probably also limits your options around style as well. You're not going to be comfortable on an aggressively set up road or time trial bike, for example.
    I am looking for something kinda versatile.

You've got four main options in terms of styling:
    • Road - Traditional drop bars, a wide range of gears, narrow tyres. These are fast, generally a fairly stiff ride and intolerant of poor road surfaces. I wouldn't recommend this as a newbie.
    • Cyclocross - Traditional drop bars, with a good gear range. Frames are more likely to be aluminium and they'll have fatter tyres. The combination means much more tolerant to surface, but a bit slower. Generally a more forgiving geometry. I'll commute on my CX on both roads and trails.
    • Hybrid/ Commuter - Flat bars and an upright ride style. Generally a lower range of gears and not particularly fast. Fatter tyres make for a comfortable ride, but personally I find the bar set up doesn't give me as much control.
    • Mountain/ Offroad - Flat bars, fatter, knobbly tyres give good traction offroad but they're comparatively slow on the road for a similar power input. They may have front or front and rear suspension to absorb some of the surface issues offroad.

Personally I'd go CX rather than hybrid, but I cut my teeth on road bikes.

As above, try a local bike shop, rather than online, for your first purchase.

I'd say get the best frame you can go for, and give a little on components. You can always upgrade those later. Personally I wouldn't worry about replacing the saddle straight away, decent cycle shorts make a big difference and as you're losing weight your needs will change anyway.

One critical point is getting a lid, and glasses. You only get one brain and if you spill you need to protect it.

The only other thing is to take it easy and enjoy it. Whilst I've commented on speed above, don't thrash it every time you're out. Build up, don't go out and ride for 20 miles on day one.